• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Oct 22/23rd Sat /Sun heavy rain, high wind, elevation upslope snow. All of New England

Ginx snewx

So I stopped running downstairs to turn on the outside lights to look at the snow around 2.  It was like I was a kid sneaking down to watch Santa unpack his presents.  We had about a half inch and everything but the driveway was covered.  I woke up around 8 and it had all melted. Darn warm ground.  It was like Santa left everything for my brother.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Openings prior to TG? 

... I wonder (aslo) where this thing ranks in terms of climo for New England's mountains... I'm assuming this was/is primarily an elevation thing - my guess is earlier than normal by some.  Just a guess.  

When Googling that subject, specifically, I only seem to find that information delineated by month - like, October.  Well, duh... I want inches per date level stuff for this. 

One thing that interesting me was "Wxmanmtich"'s post re the temperature bottoming out (I'm assuming per avatar) Lenox, MA earlier in the evening, then sustaining or even rising overnight? 

That sort of hearkens to an anomalous cold plume associated with this system, proven by having it control the temperature curve more so than the diurnal normalcy.  "Weather" that is true relative to climatology or just the pattern, aside... perhaps a little of both.  Interesting. 

J. Spin probably may have something about that for the past several years....

Anectdotally, it seems like something like this happens every 3-4 years or so in northern VT- tail end of leaf peeping season/startup of stick season. heavy precip synoptic storm with a changeover and wraparound. it can make for decent early season skiing with heavy snow and wind-plastering to pack it down like into groomer-like snow on grassy slopes.  

47 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Does PF skin or is JSpin I'm thinking of? You know someone is making turns right now.

PF and I both skin, but that’s pretty much par for the course for many skiers around here in the Northern Greens – it’s an incredibly efficient way of getting through deep snow and touring, getting your exercise and setting yourself up for great powder descents.  I know PF is out on the mountain today based on the reports he’s sending in – I can’t get out today due to other obligations, but it doesn’t sound like the snow is going to disappear anytime soon.

I don't see anyone else has posted this:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BUF&product=PNS&issuedby=BTV

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS
                     SNOWFALL           OF
                     /INCHES/   MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...CLINTON COUNTY...
   DANNEMORA              2.0   757 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA
   PERU                   2.0   921 AM 10/23  PUBLIC

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...
   1 W ST. REGIS FALLS    7.0   804 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA
   7 SW MALONE            6.0   549 AM 10/23  1370 FEET ELEVATION
   5 S WEST BANGOR        6.0   548 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA
   FRANKLIN FALLS         5.0   732 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   CHATEAUGAY             5.0   736 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA
   ST. REGIS              3.0   910 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   GABRIELS               3.0   820 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   TUPPER LAKE            2.0   904 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   BURKE                  1.5   812 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA

VERMONT

...ADDISON COUNTY...
   SOUTH STARKSBORO       7.5   748 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   STARKSBORO             7.0   741 AM 10/23  1400 FEET
   BRISTOL                2.0   844 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   LINCOLN                2.0  1109 PM 10/22  PUBLIC
   RIPTON                 2.0   820 AM 10/23  PUBLIC

...CALEDONIA COUNTY...
   WALDEN                 4.0   806 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA
   PEACHAM                3.0   727 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   DANVILLE               2.5   715 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   NEWARK                 2.0   714 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   2 S WHEELOCK           1.0   706 AM 10/23  COCORAHS
   GROTON                 1.0   608 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA

...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...
   BOLTON                 9.0   738 AM 10/23  SKI AREA
   UNDERHILL              5.0   809 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA
   HUNTINGTON             5.0   847 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   JERICHO                1.0   706 AM 10/23  PUBLIC

...ESSEX COUNTY...
   AVERILL                7.0   737 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   CANAAN                 4.0   827 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA
   LUNENBURG              1.0   810 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...
   EAST ENOSBURG          7.0   815 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   BERKSHIRE              5.0   819 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   RICHFORD               3.1   757 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   FAIRFIELD              3.0   808 AM 10/23  A FEW TREES DOWN
   FAIRFAX                1.0   657 AM 10/23  PUBLIC

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...
   HYDE PARK              7.0   818 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   EDEN                   6.8   904 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   JEFFERSONVILLE         6.0   849 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   WOLCOTT                2.0   756 AM 10/23  PUBLIC

...ORANGE COUNTY...
   VERSHIRE               2.2   729 AM 10/23  PUBLIC

...ORLEANS COUNTY...
   HOLLAND                8.0   807 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA
   JAY                    6.0   806 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   MORGAN                 6.0   728 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   GREENSBORO             5.5   745 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   WESTFIELD              3.5   715 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   NEWPORT CENTER         3.5   737 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA
   BARTON                 3.2   857 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   EAST ALBANY            3.0   800 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA

...RUTLAND COUNTY...
   SHREWSBURY             3.0   710 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   EAST WALLINGFORD       2.5   807 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...
   MIDDLESEX              5.0   708 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   WARREN                 5.0   802 AM 10/23  BROADCAST MEDIA
   PLAINFIELD             3.3   811 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   FAYSTON                2.0   655 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   DUXBURY                1.0   716 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   WORCESTER              0.7   739 AM 10/23  PUBLIC
   WATERBURY CENTER       0.5   651 AM 10/23  TRAINED SPOTTER

42 minutes ago, ono said:

J. Spin probably may have something about that for the past several years....

Anectdotally, it seems like something like this happens every 3-4 years or so in northern VT- tail end of leaf peeping season/startup of stick season. heavy precip synoptic storm with a changeover and wraparound. it can make for decent early season skiing with heavy snow and wind-plastering to pack it down like into groomer-like snow on grassy slopes.

I can’t speak about the meteorological details and regional frequency for events like this, but from a local perspective this really quite typical with respect to snowfall.  I mentioned it earlier in the NNE thread, but this event makes it 11 out of 11 seasons in which we’ve had frozen precipitation in October since living here at our location, and all but a couple of those have produced accumulation.  Timing wise (and even with respect to accumulation amounts), you almost couldn’t get more typical with respect to what this system delivered; this event is a few days behind average for first frozen precipitation (Oct 19th) but a few days ahead of average first accumulating snow (Oct 26th) according to my data.  We’re at an elevation of only 500’, and yes we probably get some upslope cooling assist in our locale, but if we’re accumulating down at 500’ that means that the mountains are getting pounded.  Based on what I’m hearing from PF’s reports, it sounds like local mountain accumulations for this event are above average, but I expect to see skiable natural snow at some point in most Octobers, and that usually means a minimum of about a half a foot.

Light slushy accums began just above the valley floors when I explored the Bolton and Stowe areas today. Accumulations really picked up quickly around 1500 ft and it looked like at least 6 inches if not a little more in some spots at the Bolton Base area and just below. It was very windy and no places plowed to really park and explore around without getting stuck. I also found 6 inch amounts near the trailhead for the Long Trail North out of Smugglers Notch on the Stowe side (at least on some picnic tables). I will post pics later tonight. I am not sure what Bolton officially reported. There was a lot of blowing and drifting from the base area up I am sure.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

I can’t speak about the meteorological details and regional frequency for events like this, but from a local perspective this really quite typical with respect to snowfall.  I mentioned it earlier in the NNE thread, but this event makes it 11 out of 11 seasons in which we’ve had frozen precipitation in October since living here at our location, and all but a couple of those have produced accumulation.  Timing wise (and even with respect to accumulation amounts), you almost couldn’t get more typical with respect to what this system delivered; this event is a few days behind average for first frozen precipitation (Oct 19th) but a few days ahead of average first accumulating snow (Oct 26th) according to my data.  We’re at an elevation of only 500’, and yes we probably get some upslope cooling assist in our locale, but if we’re accumulating down at 500’ that means that the mountains are getting pounded.  Based on what I’m hearing from PF’s reports, it sounds like local mountain accumulations for this event are above average, but I expect to see skiable natural snow at some point in most Octobers, and that usually means a minimum of about a half a foot.

this is more so what I was after; and I do believe first-hand anecdotal/experiences should count.  

what may be interesting is that this is more productive in that sense then previous.  however, those previous October/seasonal occurrences of first snow may simple not have benefited from a stronger system when the cold air availed. timing is important too.  

Hm. Snow in the air -vs- snow on the ground?   probably doesn't matter "as much" as a given location's typical timing for first "snow atmosphere"  ...oh, that even counts for the 54/22 air mass you get.. if your wet-bulb and imaginative dynamics state is within easy reach, you're there. 

..it's my own bunner way of thinking about that...  

Here's a pre-dawn photo from the base of Stowe.  I measured 5.5" this morning at 1,500ft.

14701009_10210906461922840_3334464457403

Snow increased rapidly up to 2000-2500ft but then didn't increase much after that.  It seemed to quickly get to the 8-10" range and hold for a while.

11" at the COOP stake.  This is larger than any single snowfall last season at the COOP stake.  Remember, this only maxed out at 38" last season, the only year in 63 years to fail to hit 40".

14650675_10102705720915460_3426542413770

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Here's a pre-dawn photo from the base of Stowe.  I measured 5.5" this morning at 1,500ft.

14701009_10210906461922840_3334464457403

Snow increased rapidly up to 2000-2500ft but then didn't increase much after that.  It seemed to quickly get to the 8-10" range and hold for a while.

11" at the COOP stake.  This is larger than any single snowfall last season at the COOP stake.  Remember, this only maxed out at 38" last season, the only year in 63 years to fail to hit 40".

14650675_10102705720915460_3426542413770

Nice 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That snow doesn't look fluffy. Rather dense stuff PF? Not saying wet....but just solid 10:1 stuff or so? I know you mentioned the snow growth issue yesterday and that looks it.

Oh its real dense.  Might even be like 7-8:1.  Lots of graupel balls evident and almost like wind-packed ball bearings.  Wind hammer of hate didn't help either.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh its real dense.  Might even be like 7-8:1.  Lots of graupel balls evident and almost like wind-packed ball bearings.  Wind hammer of hate didn't help either.

Gonna be a wintry week on the hill there. Good stuff.  Winter already started with better than anything you had last year lol. 

9 minutes ago, masomenos said:

That's nuts. Just further illustrates how bad last year was for you guys up there. This event wasn't even all that impressive by October standards, either.

I do think it's impressive enough for October.  It's not out of the ordinary per we but it did impact more inhabited areas than most October snows up here.  Driving around, I missed like 3-4" by like 300-400ft.  750ft vs 1100ft was the difference between plowing and a sloppy .5-1".  Plenty of QPF last night in town...like 0.75" after 9pm and 1.18" in 24 hours.  Just needed like 1C cooler and probably would've lost power.

I'll have to look but it may be the earliest double digit snows I've seen on the mountain.  The last week of October has a bunch (especially around Halloween) but October 22-23 is a little earlier climo-wise.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I do think it's impressive enough for October.  It's not out of the ordinary per we but it did impact more inhabited areas than most October snows up here.  

I'll have to look but it may be the earliest double digit snows I've seen on the mountain.  The last week of October has a bunch (especially around Halloween) but October 22-23 is a little earlier climo-wise.

Yeah that extra week probably makes a big difference in that regard. As far as October as a whole, not so much though.

38 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I do think it's impressive enough for October.  It's not out of the ordinary per we but it did impact more inhabited areas than most October snows up here.  Driving around, I missed like 3-4" by like 300-400ft.  750ft vs 1100ft was the difference between plowing and a sloppy .5-1".  Plenty of QPF last night in town...like 0.75" after 9pm and 1.18" in 24 hours.  Just needed like 1C cooler and probably would've lost power.

I noticed the same here. From 3-4" at Bretton Woods to a coating in Twin Mountain

I will say this came out pretty evenly across the northern half of VT in the Greens.  I have seen photos and reports from every ski area from Sugarbush to Jay Peak, and all the posts have the same numbers as estimates for snowfall...8-12".  All the photos look about the same too in terms of snow type and depths.

Even up at Jay, my trusted source from Lyndon State said 8-12" with drifts to 15"....and I heard that same type of report at MRG, Bolton and Smuggs.  It's also in the ballpark of what I experienced on Mansfield.  Given 60mph winds last night, it's obviously hard to be exact, but if you were to hike around I think that'd be the range given by most out there today.

Archived