Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter Banter '16-'17

Carvers Gap

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chattanooga leaves appear on schedule, if not a little fast, with the drought. Spring start to drought is the driver; recent drought is not too important. However we whiffed at Frozen Head SP last weekend, nowhere close to peak up there. Upper Plateau has closer to normal rain since spring. Thinking about trying again this weekend. Daytrip means no motel investment, but it is a long daytrip twice. At any rate I can see why John loves life up there, very pretty area.

The leaves here are changing quickly this week.  The leaves look pretty good, even with the dry weather we have had.  I think we will keep doing the Blue Ridge Parkway deal.  With the its elevation and latitude changes, it was pretty easy to find leaves at peak.  But man....driving at 4500'(maybe 5k), it gets a bit white-knuckled near Craggy Gardens.  The orchard at Alta Pass is pretty awesome.  Do your research as there are some nice hikes and multiple, multiple places for great pics. 

Taken middle of last week.  Transferred these pics from my iPhone.  Our Nikon does a better job w/ detail and saturation levels for sure.

Bald Knob (note this is further south near Asheville and the leaves have changed less/ 4,500')

FullSizeRender.jpg

Grandfather Mountain (further north and close to leaf color close to peak / top of mountain is 5,945')

IMG_3165.JPG

Altapass (elevation 2,623')

IMG_3168.JPG

Hit the Parkway last Sunday, entering at US 70 in Asheville and exiting at US 23 near Waynesville. The weather was ideal; drivers, not so much. The popular overlooks and trails were packed, but we encountered few people while hiking to Skinny Dip Falls. Flow, as expected, was unimpressive given the worsening drought. Personally, I think leaf color on the eastbound trek to Asheville on I-26 was far more impressive than on this stretch of the Parkway. Regardless, there is color to be found among the dry brown...

14 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

They laid the DGEX in it's final resting ground.I'm going to miss those maps that showed 3ft of snow in the Valley from one storm:sled:

Awwwww man, best fantasy maps evar!  I'm going to have to rummage through some old pictures and post a few this winter to celebrate the memories.

giphy.gif

R.I.P. 18z DGEX, you will be missed.

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Blue Ridge said:

Per MRX morning AFD, some of us may see our first frozen precip of the season on the front end of the weekend storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good catch.  Saw that.  I noticed yesterday AM (I think) they had like 34 and rain on my point and click.  Figured that might get close for some folks.

20 hours ago, tnweathernut said:

TOTALLY stoked about a purchase I made yesterday.  I bought a DJI Mavic Pro - hoping to be able to make some really nice aerial photography and videos!!!

Excellent, nut! Looking forward to seeing your work on the forum.

17 hours ago, Blue Ridge said:

On a somber note, two juveniles have been arrested and charged in connection with the Chimney Tops fire that spread to Gatlinburg. Unreal.

I've seen it reported that they are from Tennessee but not from Sevier County. Such a senseless tragedy...

Archived