SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Nicole

hawkeye_wx

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bermuda is one of those places that has dealt with so many high wind events over the years, they seem to always come through a hurricane with minimal impacts. They have excellent construction codes and prepare well. Having said that, hopefully they miss the eastern eyewall. Hoping this doesn't reach major cane status before getting there.

I wonder if anyone has a data set that could answer this question -- what is the longest interval between two different hurricane designations for any tropical storm? Nicole was a hurricane last week for several days. 

That's a tough one. Your best bet would be to pour through the unisys track archives year by year and pick out the longest tracking systems. I suspect the system you're looking for is going to be a late season Cape Verde hurricane that got picked up by a trough, sheared, weakened, but was left behind. Meandered or looped for many days until finding itself in another favorable environment and SSTs for restrengthening. In that respect, I would focus on looping systems in the central Atlantic. Then match the advisory archives with the longest lasting ones. Good luck with that. ;)

Nicole is getting that look. Bermuda is going to have to deal with a major cane. The structure continues to improve and outflow is taking off to the north. The SSTs are sufficient enough to support further intensification, especially now that Nicole is gaining forward motion. This may get close to a 4 by the time it moves over the island.

d464c25e0722cdf457f3b6ea04bcb369.jpg

There may be some amazing videos out of Bermuda tomorrow inside the eye if the eye remains that big and crosses directly over.  I know the eye passed over 2 years ago but it was at night.  Hopefully not a Cat 4...they can withstand up to low end 3 pretty well I think with the building codes, but its tougher after that.

3 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

We needs the recon. We really needs it. This is likely a major now. The mid-level circulation is fastly improving even over a few hours ago. Easy to discern with such a large eye. NHC will probably go with 105 kts at 5 EST until we have some recon data from the surface.

6350912046097937df5c3a9ab55f9336.jpg

Nice visible mesovorticies in eye

On 10/11/2016 at 2:39 PM, Roger Smith said:

I wonder if anyone has a data set that could answer this question -- what is the longest interval between two different hurricane designations for any tropical storm? Nicole was a hurricane last week for several days. 

I dunno about longest interval but Ophelia has to be close to the record for number of times she went back and forth between cane and TS...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Ophelia_(2005)

Archived