• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Fall into Winter!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

The radar is just a thing of beauty. Well unless your in Buffalo. Ugh... Looks like the Gerogian Bay band is realigning more NNW? And shift a little westward? Is it usual for Binghamton to get this intense lake effect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Binghamton area sometimes gets lake effect but usually watered down stuff. I lived in Vestal, or visited parents there, for many years.  This is highly unusual for that area, especially the combination of intensity and duration.  My sister was at work in Vestal till 6pm and said that there was 6" of snow on her car then and that roads were just getting bad as sun went down and temp dropped further.

1 minute ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

The radar is just a thing of beauty. Well unless your in Buffalo. Ugh... Looks like the Gerogian Bay band is realigning more NNW? And shift a little westward? Is it usual for Binghamton to get this intense lake effect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, def not. A few times throughout the winter when the flow is aligned just right, we get multi-band events with enhancement off Cayuga and Seneca Lakes that produce mainly sub-advisory level totals, with occasionally an advisory or low-level warning event in spots west/northwest of KBGM, but nothing of this magnitude in this short amount of time. The closest event I can remember was a stretch of several days in December a few winters ago (maybe 2013-14?) where KBGM netted about 22" of lake-enhanced snowfall over a 3-4 day period, but this is way more impressive given the duration.

1 minute ago, phoenixny said:

Phoenix update: 8" on elevated deck. More like 5 to 6 on driveway and lawn. Moderate to heavy bursts at times.

I just measured out back...4.5"...which I can sort of believe given low snow rates thus far.  That's an elevated deck measurement also and a fair location for measuring.  I'm just south of you and I suspect that trend may continue. Surprised they haven't just cancelled school at this point. Thy would rather make the 5 a.m. call and keep everyone from sleeping I suppose, being beauracrats...

17 minutes ago, steffen said:

this is crazy. Never expected to be under LES Warning here in Ithaca. Was just outside and it felt like Buffalo during the best storms. Was pretty much a whiteout at times. Snow piling up quickly.

Enjoy man! I went to Ithaca this summer to Robert Treman park in September, you guys live in a gorgeous town.

3 hours ago, Syrmax said:

I just measured out back...4.5"...which I can sort of believe given low snow rates thus far.  That's an elevated deck measurement also and a fair location for measuring.  I'm just south of you and I suspect that trend may continue. Surprised they haven't just cancelled school at this point. Thy would rather make the 5 a.m. call and keep everyone from sleeping I suppose, being beauracrats...

That's 5' off the ground for me facing east. Snowing heavily here. Told kids they are off tomorrow. I am guessing another 4 to 7 by 6am tomorrow. Skaneateles closed already. Blows away most of the crap we had last year.

Archived