Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Patchy frost with a low of 32 degrees. The models have trended worst in our pattern change. It looks like an elongated trough across the country instead of a ridge/trough west to east. Not good changes in my opinion but we are a week away. 

Tell me its not so, I'm ready for winter to return, I'll be ready for these temps come April.

2 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

You elevation and west facing slope guys/gals have to be liking the 12z gfs and euro.  Looks like a clipper party where not many others are invited....  Hope you can reel a good period in, along with the slope owners!

Yeah the west facing slopes just get hammered. Iv not seen a pattern like that setup for well over 4 years.

48 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I was really trying not to get excited about the upcoming pattern since clippers are horrible for me, but the GFS showed a bone worth watching.

Yeah several opportunities that I see. It looks like we are below normal from about hour 165 through the end of the run on the 18z. Taking that with a grain of salt but the potential is there.

The 18z looks a bit juicier than the 12z for us. Cold air get in here with a bit more moisture but the cold air is marginal but for us that's all we need. It does this weird thing where it digs the trough back almost to the western North Gulf Coast before setting eastward. That allows more moisture and a deeper trough. Not necessarily all that cold but a good H5.

The 18z looks a bit juicier than the 12z for us. Cold air get in here with a bit more moisture but the cold air is marginal but for us that's all we need. It does this weird thing where it digs the trough back almost to the western North Gulf Coast before setting eastward. That allows more moisture and a deeper trough. Not necessarily all that cold but a good H5.

Seems that we can never get the cold to hang around like back in the sixties and seventies, we get a cold shot now and lucky to have it for a day or two where as it use to hang around for a week or two.  Go Figure.

11 hours ago, fritschy said:

Seems that we can never get the cold to hang around like back in the sixties and seventies, we get a cold shot now and lucky to have it for a day or two where as it use to hang around for a week or two.  Go Figure.

We have had plenty of good winters in the last decade, especially since most were ninas.

You only remember the great winters of years past and forget the bad ones. You live in Asheville not anchorage. 

The euro might be picking up on a trend because the 06Z gfs looks horrible. Really nothing new than what we have already scene this winter. The blocking breaks down quick and the ridge out west collapses. The look in the mid to long range looks pretty meh if you ask me. Still early and we may see runs like this from time to time.

36 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

We have had plenty of good winters in the last decade, especially since most were ninas.

You only remember the great winters of years past and forget the bad ones. You live in Asheville not anchorage. 

still nothing like it use to be, no where close, I guess we're in the old  what goes around comes around, we just need those winters of the past to come back around, and yes I know this is Asheville but we use to have great winters year after year.  sometimes one snowstorm right on the heels of one.

11 minutes ago, fritschy said:

still nothing like it use to be, no where close, I guess we're in the old  what goes around comes around, we just need those winters of the past to come back around, and yes I know this is Asheville but we use to have great winters year after year.  sometimes one snowstorm right on the heels of one.

That doesn't happen very often. There is a reason why asheville only averages 16 inches per year.

The models continue to look crappy. We get a brief shot of cold air, we'll marginal cold air and then it looks like the pattern kind of just breaks down. I'm not as impressed with the upslope look either especially with the trough in the east looking not as sharp. Maybe Pack was right. 

3km NAM ends the mountains as snow on Monday night. That would be nice though it wouldn't amount to much.

Archived