Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, calculus1 said:

Beautiful pics, Dave. Thanks for sharing. Signs of winter on the way...

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Thanks they werent mine, i got them frmo WLTV in Knoxville. Def a nice sign that winter is on its way.

This was Mount Mitchell this morning and 25 degrees

The bottom pic shows the snow and rime ice on the peaks of the Black Mtns a few mins ago. Nice contrast of the peaks in white and then the fall color as it shows down the mountain sides :)

Oct 22 2016 Mt Mitchell 25 at 930am.jpg

Oct 22 2016 1230pm Black Mtns NC.jpg

2 hours ago, Avdave said:

Thanks they werent mine, i got them frmo WLTV in Knoxville. Def a nice sign that winter is on its way.

This was Mount Mitchell this morning and 25 degrees

The bottom pic shows the snow and rime ice on the peaks of the Black Mtns a few mins ago. Nice contrast of the peaks in white and then the fall color as it shows down the mountain sides :)

Oct 22 2016 Mt Mitchell 25 at 930am.jpg

Oct 22 2016 1230pm Black Mtns NC.jpg

Awesome!

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

No cold air in sight on the euro. Enjoy the warmth, it's all we got lol.

Did the models show this past weekend's cold shot, more than 5 days prior? 

I don't remember it so. I remember talking more heat for near future just as we are now. We've been seasonable all month. My gut just isn't telling me that we won't see cool weather soon, especially here in WNC.

30 minutes ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Did the models show this past weekend's cold shot, more than 5 days prior? 

I don't remember it so. I remember talking more heat for near future just as we are now. We've been seasonable all month. My gut just isn't telling me that we won't see cool weather soon, especially here in WNC.

Yeah the euro had it before the gfs. We will see. It's very surprising to just see no cold air in the conus basically through the first week of November.  I hope I'm wrong.

11 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah the euro had it before the gfs. We will see. It's very surprising to just see no cold air in the conus basically through the first week of November.  I hope I'm wrong.

Well if it helps, here are the KAVL temperature graphs for the 2010-2011 Weak/Moderate La Nina. Early to mid-November was a scorcher and then it plummeted well below average toward the end, and through nearly all of January. Hopefully we can follow the same pattern.

Temperature_anamolies.jpg

Archived