Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

29 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Best rates of the day. Mountains have disappeared and the temps are plummeting. 

Just had a squall here that laid down a good half an inch in about 15 minutes. I'm right at 4 inches, hope to get 2 or 3 more tonight The wind is also increasing dramatically. Just had a gust to 41. My temp is down to 16.4°.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

It's absolutely hammering now.

Nice.  Hammering here now. 1st time all day that it is sticking to the ground.

10 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Just had a squall here that laid down a good half an inch in about 15 minutes. I'm right at 4 inches, hope to get 2 or 3 more tonight The wind is also increasing dramatically. Just had a gust to 41. My temp is down to 16.4°.

I predicted you would have more snow than all of us and double digits, so you need 6 more inches of snow. Get it done. B)

10 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

I think 2 to 3 will be an easy goal tonight. Roads are turning white at about 2500 feet and things are really starting to pick up. Yes the wind is flat out howling.

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

It's absolutely hammering now.

Snowed off and on all the way from Blowing Rock till the Georgia line.  Even a few small flakes at home and can see the mountains around Suches are white.   Great way to end the trip.   Hope yall continue to get hammered.

2 minutes ago, nchighcountrywx said:

Bottom has dropped out

Down to 10 degrees 

Is this January?

Meh. This is From Mt Washington's OBS page.  Now that is a stiff breeze.  The temp was 7º and the dew point the same.

16:57 E 107 G 123 0.00 Heavy Snow Blowing Snow Freezing Fog and Windy

As the low is pulling away up north, the snow comes in squalls now. Had steady, hard upslope from about 3 to 7:30. Now you'll have nothing, even see a star or two, then 5 minutes later it's white out. I've had 3 in the past hour that laid down an inch total and they didn't last more than a few minutes each. I love when that happens. With the wind, no good way to measure but I've got at least 6+. This might be the last event for what has been a pretty terrible winter, but I'll take.

And Jason, :blahblah:.

9 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

As the low is pulling away up north, the snow comes in squalls now. Had steady, hard upslope from about 3 to 7:30. Now you'll have nothing, even see a star or two, then 5 minutes later it's white out. I've had 3 in the past hour that laid down an inch total and they didn't last more than a few minutes each. I love when that happens. With the wind, no good way to measure but I've got at least 6+. This might be the last event for what has been a pretty terrible winter, but I'll take.

:P   Glad you got your snow !  :lol:

10 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

I don't think this will be the last snow to track, we all know we've had big snows in April.  Hang on til the middle of April.

15 minutes ago, fritschy said:

I don't think this will be the last snow to track, we all know we've had big snows in April.  Hang on til the middle of April.

You could be right. Time will tell.

Looks like the last of the snow is moving through now. Nice shower to cap things off. I have no clue what my final total is with this wind. I do know it's cold. I'm at 5.7°. It's been a fun few days.

4 hours ago, fritschy said:

well is there no fantasy snow even for the mtns.?  thought by now we would have something to watch for the mountains or are the mountains also done for this winter if that's what you want to call it. 

I am calling for a 12"+ snow on Easter; epic snow in the spring to top off epic warmth during the winter.

Made it up to Sugar on Friday. Back in January we sat out the good conditions due to peak pricing and crowds. By late February I wondered if we'd blown our chance at scenic natural snow. Friday still had the look of mid-winter even though conditions were typical spring ice to mashed potatoes. Oh well, still better than a day at the office! :ski:

Really feel bad for the ski areas. Thought it could not get worse than 2012 or 2013, until 2016, but 2017 wow. Sugar gave up on a couple runs weeks ago. Thankfully Gunters Run was still open for business. My Omas Meadow was closed but Gunters more than makes up for it served by the high-speed lift. Oma is a nice cruiser; but, Gunters is a true blue, steep but wide enough to work. 

Perhaps we can plan some local mountain vacations in the summer. NC Highcountry and Gatlinburg could both use the economic lift after a mild winter and the fires respectively. Hopefully it'll be a lovely summer followed by a snowy winter. 

Archived