Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I'm nervous about a warm nose, shows up on every model, question is how long does it last? 

Yeah me too. 4km and 3km both put a blob right over my house of 3/4" QPF all frozen and lots of ice. Sharp cutoff to my south/east but the flow is right for precip right along the escarpment. 

35 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Two things. The NW flow looks great and prolonged. Temps and wind chills are going to be brutal. Highs in the 20s and lows in the single digits with winds gusting to 40 to 50 mph tomorrow. Winter says hello finally.

Imagine how cold it would be if this airmass came in 2 months ago !

Yeah not really understanding the doom and gloom, like Met said the upslope potential looks great with this. The storm will pivot and the upper elevations will benefit from this. Winds that strong should push flakes far into the valleys and I think that would be Asheville's best chance of seeing snow from this. Surface temps are warmer then what models showed yesterday and that will be tough to overcome when the precip enters the area. 850mb temps are still below freezing across much of WNC, but models have those retreating north over the next few hours. Although GSP radar shows moisture advection in over those frozen 850mb's, could have a few flurries to begin.

WNC peeps should just sit back and enjoy this one. Rain is likely but a heavy burst of snow isn't out of the question. I am interested to see what happens with this one, been one of the most difficult ones I have had to forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Yeah not really understanding the doom and gloom, like Met said the upslope potential looks great with this. The storm will pivot and the upper elevations will benefit from this. Winds that strong should push flakes far into the valleys and I think that would be Asheville's best chance of seeing snow from this. Surface temps are warmer then what models showed yesterday and that will be tough to overcome when the precip enters the area. 850mb temps are still below freezing across much of WNC, but models have those retreating north over the next few hours. Although GSP radar shows moisture advection in over those frozen 850mb's, could have a few flurries to begin.

WNC peeps should just sit back and enjoy this one. Rain is likely but a heavy burst of snow isn't out of the question. I am interested to see what happens with this one, been one of the most difficult ones I have had to forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff Ward. Keep up the posts.

"Why the doom and gloom?" Because where I'm at sucks with upslope events and I'll be lucky to eek out 2 inches when a couple days ago I had 6-8. That's why.

Maybe it's time to find a girlfriend man. All joking aside though, I know it's frustrating but you sit in about the best spot of any of us in WNC to see a switchover with the heavy band. You are much closer to where models place 0c 850mb temps and could easily pick up a quick few. Just enjoy the weather buddy, because you can't change it.

5 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Maybe it's time to find a girlfriend man. All joking aside though, I know it's frustrating but you sit in about the best spot of any of us in WNC to see a switchover with the heavy band. You are much closer to where models place 0c 850mb temps and could easily pick up a quick few. Just enjoy the weather buddy, because you can't change it.

Lol, to be fair she's been the one telling me to look at the weather every 5 minutes today so she'll know when it's starting. And it's possible that I do get lucky with the temps, but I've got a feeling that warm nose will stick around a bit longer than expected. Even just 2 hours would make a big difference. I just want warm weather at this point tbh lol.

13 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Lol, to be fair she's been the one telling me to look at the weather every 5 minutes today so she'll know when it's starting. And it's possible that I do get lucky with the temps, but I've got a feeling that warm nose will stick around a bit longer than expected. Even just 2 hours would make a big difference. I just want warm weather at this point tbh lol.

The 16z HRRR looks okay for you. Changes the main band to snow pretty quickly. 

Archived