SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe winter is far from over for us fellas. A cold winters day today with promises of more cold and snow next week. The euro took a step in the right direction. Colder for sure. First the 13 know looks much colder with the trough digging a bit deeper in the NE. Then promising signs around the 15 and 16 with a possible storm and a colder look. May be northern dominant stream but we need the cold air so good trends but the euro and gfs look pretty different at this range. 

20 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Spent the night in Dillsboro, near Sylva. Woke up to light dusting on car. Had flurries on drive to UNCA. Decided to go home via Burnsville to Spruce Pine to Marion to Hickory. Snow on all peaks but nothing down near the main roads other than flurries. Too bad.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

I visited the mountains this morning.  Had a bit more luck with seeing some snow.  I posted in the banter thread.

43 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I think you guys could score big time with next weeks threat, the signs are there for a big coastal with a nice track, especially for the mountains... Could be the best chance of the winter 

I liked the odds of the January storm a lot better than this one. Too much can go wrong with the timing and trajectory right now. Imo

2 hours ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I liked the odds of the January storm a lot better than this one. Too much can go wrong with the timing and trajectory right now. Imo

:blahblah:

BTW, have you ever played Jefferson Landing? My buddies and I are putting together our spring golf schedule and we've heard some good things about it.

1 hour ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Not usually, it's expensive for me. but it's really nice.

Uh oh, that means it'll be really expensive for me because the loser usually buys drinks and dinner afterwards. 

Nice to see a little hope down the road. The way this winter has gone, give me one more decent storm and I'll cash out. It's only Feb 10 so there's still time for a surprise or two. But then again, it's 42.7° at 11 pm. Wow.

19 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

:blahblah:

BTW, have you ever played Jefferson Landing? My buddies and I are putting together our spring golf schedule and we've heard some good things about it.

I know you weren't asking me, but I've played Jefferson Landing a few times!!  But it's been a few years since I have.... NICE great course and long, (We played it all the way back, when I was younger, lol) I think it was like 7100 or 7200 yds from back there.  Bring your straight and long balls with you.... Highly recommend it. Have fun!!! 

21 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

I know you weren't asking me, but I've played Jefferson Landing a few times!!  But it's been a few years since I have.... NICE great course and long, (We played it all the way back, when I was younger, lol) I think it was like 7100 or 7200 yds from back there.  Bring your straight and long balls with you.... Highly recommend it. Have fun!!! 

Big frosty weather related. What has happened today with the models? Thursday they was showing - AO and +PNA and of course strong phase 8. Models were showing cold eastern trough and west ridge not nothing. 

I don't know I'm hoping it's just a bad day with models, they could turn right around and be showing the same thing tomorrow just as they turned around today. Models are still forecasting strong phase 8 and then 1,2 MJO. which is supposedly cold in the east but we got to get some cold air in Canada first I'll be honest It don't look good but I'm not giving up until mid-March !!! All indications is we going to have another warm spell after this coming week and then a cooler pattern maybe a big storm around day 12 setting off the North Carolina coast around Cape Hatteras he said have to wait and see how much cold air is available then. per JB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

I don't know I'm hoping it's just a bad day with models, they could turn right around and be showing the same thing tomorrow just as they turned around today. Models are still forecasting strong phase 8 and then 1,2 MJO. which is supposedly cold in the east but we got to get some cold air in Canada first I'll be honest I don't look good but I'm not giving up until mid-March EMG you is going to strongly in the eight and I'll indication it is or go have another warm spell after this coming week and in a cool pattern maybe a big storm around 12 days setting off the North Carolina coast per JB

I know im probably grasping at straws but February 1993 was warm like this. Then the March 12th 13th storm. Everything came in at the right time for that one. Would like to see a repeat. 

I guess we need to move to Lubbock Texas they're 90° today and going to have a big snowstorm Monday into Tuesday. Lol which that will be the system that might bring us a cold rain later in the week. But it will probably stay suppressed we be dry and cold and then heat up like a furnace after that few days, before we can gets some cool weather in here again. It don't take real cold air just got have the right track and enough cold 30 to 35° with the right track is plenty cold for a big paste bomb!

I know im probably grasping at straws but February 1993 was warm like this. Then the March 12th 13th storm. Everything came in at the right time for that one. Would like to see a repeat. 

If we could get Canada real cold again in the next week or so something like that would be very possible All it would take is big phase storm to pull the cold in.

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Lol. These past two years have been horrible for us in the mountains beside a storm or two.

Yea we've been lucky the past couple of years with a big storm "saving" the winter. But this year I don't see it happening, I'm already writing off the threat on the 26th, and I fully believe unless a cold front comes through with backside snow showers, we're done with snow after Wednesday.

Archived