Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just light snow now but just measured a little over an inch. Very pretty though, stuck to everything. Temps killed you guys up in Boone. Burnsville and Spruce Pine stayed just above freezing also. Talked to a friend in Burnsville and he said it's snowed all day but he stayed at 33. Temp has to drop for you guys soon.

5 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I will be shocked if I have any accumulation at this point. still above freezing and it's not snowing at all. but everything still says 1-3 inches tonight.

Ashe, looking at water vapor and radar, there's still a lot of moisture to come through. When the winds turn more NW I still think we'll see a pretty good flow set up for a little while. But you're right, this hasn't been what I was expecting.

Well some of you are.getting high temps but it's.gonna drop down I was.told 50 in North wilkesboro hahahaha LOL I laughed.at it....It's wrong it's.dropping down rapidly and now it's cold outside and getting more cold it's cloudy and darkened a bit so it's not even warm at all no joke I am serious, my hands are red now just came in from store my hands are like brrrrr from out there 

1 minute ago, SnoJoe said:

Ashe, looking at water vapor and radar, there's still a lot of moisture to come through. When the winds turn more NW I still think we'll see a pretty good flow set up for a little while. But you're right, this hasn't been what I was expecting.

I'm hoping so. it's snowed here for 10.5 hours now and no sticking even in the yard. it's ridiculous. Maybe the rates will go up when the wind changes? even if it was cold enough, haven't had enough to really count for much.

1 minute ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I'm hoping so. it's snowed here for 10.5 hours now and no sticking even in the yard. it's ridiculous. Maybe the rates will go up when the wind changes? even if it was cold enough, haven't had enough to really count for much.

And ratios will go way up as well. Still seeing you squeaking out a couple of inches.

1 minute ago, AsheCounty48 said:

i'm eyeing the band at kingsport right now. We haven't had a heavier band move through up here yet, so if we get one, it could start accumulating quickly....hopefully

I have my eye on that as well. Currently looking pretty good.

6 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

i'm eyeing the band at kingsport right now. We haven't had a heavier band move through up here yet, so if we get one, it could start accumulating quickly....hopefully

We had a heavy band come through just a bit ago and we've got a nice little dusting and dropped to 30 from 35 in about a half hour or less. You should do fine here soon.

1 hour ago, SnoJoe said:

Exactly. I think we get a true NW flow tonight which will help us out a lot.

7 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

and then on the 10th there's a clipper to add another inch or two. that was pretty.

The 6th is really close. Looks like around 5-7" of snow before a change to zr and eventually light rain on the end for the northern mountains.

EPS members are split up between big storms and nothing next weekend. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Penland said:

The 6th is really close. Looks like around 5-7" of snow before a change to zr and eventually light rain on the end for the northern mountains.

EPS members are split up between big storms and nothing next weekend. 

Yea, i' keeping an eye on the 6th, but i'm trying to temper my enthusiasm for it a little until a little more consensus appears on the modeling.

36 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Parts of the county are getting hammered with about 2 inches if snow currently. Maggie valley, Soco, Balsams,  Hemp hill, Sunburst are getting hit good currently. 

The West wind flow seems to do the trick in the Balsams as that Wind direction doesn't produce the horrible down sloping off the Smokies. 

The Balsam Gap webcam looks great! There is more snow there now than here in Ann Arbor! :)

balsam.jpeg

Archived