Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, NC_WX10 said:

Just checked the blowing rock downtown webcam. Amazing difference between Boone and there. Nice dusting on everything and coming down steadily. 

This is one of the rare times that even ashe is getting more than Boone. GF goes to App and has been sending me pictures and we have more here than she has there.

Just now, AsheCounty48 said:

This is one of the rare times that even ashe is getting more than Boone. GF goes to App and has been sending me pictures and we have more here than she has there.

Yeah the last two winters just haven't been in our favor here in Boone. I have two more winters up here before I graduate so hopefully one of those will atleast be an average snowfall year.

4 minutes ago, NC_WX10 said:

Yeah the last two winters just haven't been in our favor here in Boone. I have two more winters up here before I graduate so hopefully one of those will atleast be an average snowfall year.

Don't worry, I'm transferring to App in the fall and will be living on campus, so next winter will be amazing.

SO glad I decided to run with this storm when it popped up a few days ago. This has a chance of being a big one. *Obviously still 9 days away so everything is taken with a chunk of salt*. One thing I liked on this run vs. other runs that have shown a similar track is that the temperature profiles for the mountain counties are considerably better, although still not perfect. Another thing I like is the agreement with the euro and GFS right now. Although it doesn't mean much this far out, I view it as a positive sign that both models view a big SE storm as a possibility, however slim. 

now to the bad. no consistency really in the models. In the past 36 hours this storm has been a SE crusher, an apps runner, and a storm that went directly north from Texas and then turned right across the Ohio valley. also, the temps; although better, still are marginal at the surface. Yes, I know it appears cold on the 18z. but look at the 2m temps at hour 234,they they don't make sense so I'm adding a few degrees given the location of the LP.. 

summary: It is possible we have another storm almost a direct month after our last one. the details don't look great, but with 9 days away, they don't matter very much obviously. I haven't looked at the upper air modeling yet so I don't have much of a comment on that yet.

*EDIT* went back and looked at it from the national view. temps were actually not as big of a concern as cold appears to be here before the storm which I wasn't really expecting based on previous runs.

*EDIT 2* Based on 500mb and 850 mb temps, everywhere north and west of Gastonia would be all snow, with less Frz rain that is depicted on this map.

*EDIT 3* Canadian also has the SE low, but with no cold air and a completely different setup.

FEB 6 SNOW.png

11 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

SO glad I decided to run with this storm when it popped up a few days ago. This has a chance of being a big one. *Obviously still 9 days away so everything is taken with a chunk of salt*. One thing I liked on this run vs. other runs that have shown a similar track is that the temperature profiles for the mountain counties are considerably better, although still not perfect. Another thing I like is the agreement with the euro and GFS right now. Although it doesn't mean much this far out, I view it as a positive sign that both models view a big SE storm as a possibility, however slim. 

You did call it. If it comes to fruition, we will name it "Winter Storm Ashe".:)

I know the Morristown radar is in clear air mode but returns are ramping up a bit. I'm getting a decent shower now. 

8 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

You did call it if it comes to fruition. We will name it "Winter Storm Ashe".:)

I know the Morristown radar is in clear air mode but returns are ramping up a bit. I'm getting a decent shower now. 

that has a really nice ring to it lol. But then again, we'd be just as bad as TWC... I'm kind of disappointed in the weather today. the snow wasn't bad, but the sun kept coming back out so it was impossible for anything to stick for longer than 20 minutes.

So just got home and the back roads are pretty slick around Blowing Rock. Accumulations vary due to wind but I'd say around an inch or so of windblown powder. Pretty nice NWF event for MBY. Probably try to get some pics in the morning. If we can tack on another inch or two Sunday and next weekend's storm comes to fruition we'll be well on our way to at least 50% of average (around 30" or so). 

edit; should note it's still a heavy flurry going on too. :D

10 hours ago, AsheCounty48 said:

now to the bad. no consistency really in the models. In the past 36 hours this storm has been a SE crusher, an apps runner, and a storm that went directly north from Texas and then turned right across the Ohio valley. also, the temps; although better, still are marginal at the surface. Yes, I know it appears cold on the 18z. but look at the 2m temps at hour 234,they they don't make sense so I'm adding a few degrees given the location of the LP.. 

summary: It is possible we have another storm almost a direct month after our last one. the details don't look great, but with 9 days away, they don't matter very much obviously. I haven't looked at the upper air modeling yet so I don't have much of a comment on that yet.

*EDIT* went back and looked at it from the national view. temps were actually not as big of a concern as cold appears to be here before the storm which I wasn't really expecting based on previous runs.

*EDIT 2* Based on 500mb and 850 mb temps, everywhere north and west of Gastonia would be all snow, with less Frz rain that is depicted on this map.

*EDIT 3* Canadian also has the SE low, but with no cold air and a completely different setup.

FEB 6 SNOW.png

This system has caught my eye! Robert has posted about it also. It's the classic look & worth watching. In the meantime.....enjoy the flow event and provide obs + pics.

Ray seems to think we'll all do pretty well over the next 48 hours. At this point, this is a "moderate" event for us.:rolleyes:

"...Then a Manitoba Mauler (first cousin to an Alberta Clipper) passes to our north Sunday night. It brings a more steady period of snowfall--late Sunday into Monday morning. Most of NW North Carolina will have 2"-4" of snow by Monday morning, but western mountaintops will pick up 4"-6" (with isolated higher totals). The far eastern edge of the Appalachians can expect a dusting to 2". Monday will be very cold and windy with decreasing afternoon clouds."

37 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Ray seems to think we'll all do pretty well over the next 48 hours. At this point, this is a "moderate" event for us.:rolleyes:

"...Then a Manitoba Mauler (first cousin to an Alberta Clipper) passes to our north Sunday night. It brings a more steady period of snowfall--late Sunday into Monday morning. Most of NW North Carolina will have 2"-4" of snow by Monday morning, but western mountaintops will pick up 4"-6" (with isolated higher totals). The far eastern edge of the Appalachians can expect a dusting to 2". Monday will be very cold and windy with decreasing afternoon clouds."

I hope you higher elevation guys break the trend. NW flow snow or clipper snow either one have been hard to come by the past few winters.

Archived