Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

We hit 15" last year but I completely forgot that it was mainly a wedge event. You saw a lot of mixing down there, didn't you?

Yeah, started as snow and after about 4 inches we mixed and went back and forth. I drove to highlands that day with the kids and they had over a foot with freezing drizzle and we broke out the sleds.

I think Jan 2011 was the last time we hit 12.

1 minute ago, franklin NCwx said:

Yeah, started as snow and after about 4 inches we mixed and went back and forth. I drove to highlands that day with the kids and they had over a foot with freezing drizzle and we broke out the sleds.

Temps shouldn't an issue anywhere in the mountains this time. Here's to hoping for a foot!

2 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

We ended up with 17 inches from the storm last January. I would love to match that. Hey we can dream can't we. 

20 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Yeah I remembered that. I was getting caked and you had mixing issues last year. Ended up right at 14 inches last year. Crazy at the gradient.

I just got a chance to look at the GFS run and wow it would not surprise me if someone in our area had the highest total in the state. From Haywood, to Jackson, to Transylvania, to Macon looks great. 8 to 12+ with that GFS run. Really from Haywood county south looks great. Buncombe gets downsloped major by the SW mountains but still has some nice totals. Also I'm waiting on that trend back south most where talking about lol!

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I just got a chance to look at the GFS run and wow it would not surprise me if someone in our area had the highest total in the state. From Haywood, to Jackson, to Transylvania, to Macon looks great. 8 to 12+ with that GFS run. Really from Haywood county south looks great. Buncombe gets downsloped major by the SW mountains but still has some nice totals. Also I'm waiting on that trend back south most where talking about lol!

Asheville does get downsloped bad. The snow hole. Lol Another area that does really good with this setup is the French Broad River Valley, from Rosman to Mills River.

2 minutes ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Asheville does get downsloped bad. The snow hole. Lol Another area that does really good with this setup is the French Broad River Valley, from Rosman to Mills River.

Asheville does do terrible in these setups but the same mtns that screw them in these situations help them with cad.

9 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Man yeah well here's hoping for a late hail Mary so we can triumph as mountain folk do in a cool collective way. 

If I get a foot I won't be particularly collective, though I do suspect we'll be quite cool.... :) 

side note: the ground is already white here from last night. So starting the day off with a dusting.

Archived