Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SnoJoe said:

Probably a dumb question, but with a track like we're seeing, seems like there would be a nice period of flow snow as the low departs especially with such a cold air mass rushing in. Most are calling for an abrupt end Sat morning. Why?

Don't want to interrupt the disco though. Just thinking out loud.

Because a massive 1043 high comes in very soon thereafter with strong cold (and dry) advection.  Just no moisture to work with for post storm NWFS.

Didn't know NWS did this. Might be able to see a little of what they are thinking after the euro and before their afternoon update.

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Greenville-Spartanburg SC
318 PM EST Wed Jan 4 2017

...WINTER WEATHER SOCIAL MEDIA QUESTION AND ANSWER SESSION TO BE
HELD THURSDAY AFTERNOON FROM 2 TO 3 PM EST...

The National Weather Service Greenville-Spartanburg South
Carolina office will be holding a social media question and answer
session on Twitter and Facebook Thursday, January 5 from 2 to 3 pm
EST. During that hour, we will attempt to answer as many of your
questions as possible about the upcoming winter weather across our
region. Please tweet your questions or comments to @NWSGSP or
post or message us on our U.S. National Weather Service
Greenville-Spartanburg SC Facebook page.

Well, 12Z Euro is a huge miss for the mountains.  Devastating run if you like/want snow.

So, the morning rundown has the Euro, CMC, RGEM, and NAM all with 1-2" for the mountains.  GFS sits alone at 3-6" with greater amounts.  Prudent call is to go with the majority of the models.

I am revising my AVL forecast from 1-3" down to 1-2", and that may be generous.

6 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

Well, 12Z Euro is a huge miss for the mountains.  Devastating run if you like/want snow.

So, the morning rundown has the Euro, CMC, RGEM, and NAM all with 1-2" for the mountains.  GFS sits alone at 3-6" with greater amounts.  Prudent call is to go with the majority of the models.

I am revising my AVL forecast from 1-3" down to 1-2", and that may be generous.

What about the UK? The Euro LP actually came NW about 50-100 miles. The surface maps look funky based off the 500mb vort with the forcing. 

Just now, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

What about the UK? The Euro LP actually came NW about 50-100 miles. The surface maps look funky based off the 500mb vort with the forcing. 

Funky or not...the consensus of models are showing a very nearly similar picture.  Gotta side with the majority of models which have a snow-hole over the mountains, rather than the GFS, which is now the wettest of all the models.

2 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

Funky or not...the consensus of models are showing a very nearly similar picture.  Gotta side with the majority of models which have a snow-hole over the mountains, rather than the GFS, which is now the wettest of all the models.

UK has been the most consistent model of them all from 7 days out. Now the GFS is lining up with it. I like consistency. Euro hasn't known whether it's coming or going this whole storm tracking time. It definitely has lost its "King" status. 

Hi all just sitting watching you all post,and just looked at one maps and saw blue over wilkesboro was light snow I did see some flurry and snow flake started falling,now that was a little early and it's cold out there too as well,tjeynsay temperature suppose to be in 40's but now it's down in upper 30's so just watching what does later tonight or whatever happens,first I hear dry then rain then snow I thought oh well,they always say this and to make them look good on tv for the paycheck,but I am sure snow will fall it was already showing up so I will sit back and watch it all happen once it starts to kick in, stay warm guys 

14 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

Gotta side with the majority of models which have a snow-hole over the mountains, rather than the GFS, which is now the wettest of all the models.

As a met, it must be hard to choose whether you're going to side with majority or consistency. Having both must be nice. Ha!

The Ukie and GFS have consistency, the Euro, CMC, RGEM and NAM have the majority.

1 minute ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

As a met, it must be hard to choose whether you're going to side with majority or consistency. Having both must be nice. Ha!

The Ukie and GFS have consistency, the Euro, CMC, RGEM and NAM have the majority.

Oh man, this is an absolute nightmare forecast to make.  The system does seem to have sped up a bit, now starting in the mountains between 18Z and 22Z Friday.  This should also factor in to lower amounts since the system will be departing faster than originally thought too.

Very hard to go against majority or consistency, but a choice must be made.  I like consistency...I'm just afraid it might be consistently wrong.  So, as a forecaster, do you go with lower amounts (and then have a bigger snow event verify), or do you go with higher amounts (and have a lower amount verify)?  My personal preference is to shoot low and anything else is a "bonus" beyond that.

Thus, 1-2" is my forecast for now for AVL and surrounding areas.

1 minute ago, wncsnow said:

I wonder if they took account of the EURO showing nothing near those amounts... Seems like they are siding with the GFS unlike WPC

I think on their disco yesterday they said they were siding with the GFS. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I thought I remember seeing that posted.

Archived