Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

21 minutes ago, westmc9th said:

Why is there such a dry slot in the foothills on the Euro? Good trend though for sure. 

Lower Foothills values likely due to mountains having oragraphic lifting as well as higher snow ratios.

This is certainly not all ironed out yet to a most likely solution

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z EPS was a big step in the right my direction 25 member with 3" or more for KAVL compared to just 8-10 over the last run and 4-5 members the run before that. With all the varying solutions, I am tending to side with the EPS this morning because this is right in its wheelhouse 3-4 days out. I said a few days ago that I have watch the EPS doing a complete turn before and that if we want significant snowfall than we wanted the EPS to start showing it. From last nights run that's exactly what happened. EPS mean of 3.25" with 5 big dog members of 10"+. Wow today is going to be interesting and very telling, anyone throwing in the towel on this one needs to step away from the keyboard and revisit on Friday because the next few days will not be for the weak at heart!

56 minutes ago, Hvward said:

0z EPS was a big step in the right my direction 25 member with 3" or more for KAVL compared to just 8-10 over the last run and 4-5 members the run before that. With all the varying solutions, I am tending to side with the EPS this morning because this is right in its wheelhouse 3-4 days out. I said a few days ago that I have watch the EPS doing a complete turn before and that if we want significant snowfall than we wanted the EPS to start showing it. From last nights run that's exactly what happened. EPS mean of 3.25" with 5 big dog members of 10"+. Wow today is going to be interesting and very telling, anyone throwing in the towel on this one needs to step away from the keyboard and revisit on Friday because the next few days will not be for the weak at heart!

06Z GFS still not going to cut it for snow in the mountains.  It still has Atlanta with nearly 5" and over 6" amounts down east NC.  

Water vapor this morning shows one piece of energy just making it ashore in western Oregon and far northern California, with an atmospheric river event occurring in central California and the greater Bay Area.  These features will be sampled at 12Z today, but don't expect the 12Z models to fully latch onto them until at least 00Z this evening.

Sorry I'm late to the party! I'm here now and that should tell you all something. Robert (WxSouth) has been tweeting about the set up for this system. Climo says the low will ride closer to the coast down here in the Panhandle. As always with a complicated weather system, when isn't this the case in the South, the pieces have to come together just right. The interaction or lack of interaction between the energy to the N and S will tell the tale. Gonna be a fun ride for you Mnt folk!!!

06Z GFS still not going to cut it for snow in the mountains.  It still has Atlanta with nearly 5" and over 6" amounts down east NC.  

Water vapor this morning shows one piece of energy just making it ashore in western Oregon and far northern California, with an atmospheric river event occurring in central California and the greater Bay Area.  These features will be sampled at 12Z today, but don't expect the 12Z models to fully latch onto them until at least 00Z this evening.

Yeah HT lots of variability, better sampling is about to occur so as you alluded to a better picture will arise.

37 minutes ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

NAM already looks better out to 48, with that wave coming on shore.

Yeah it did. I'm afraid as we trend back NW that along the coast are going to warm up to mix in. I'm not so sure they get that much snow wit a more amped system. I'm rooting for them but the trends are in our favor. 

Just now, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Wow seems to be thinking the same thing:

'I agree.  I'm quite confident the next run will have a more amped up storm.  Since the wave is now faster and we're getting more ahead of the HP, this will look more like a Miller A with a SW to NE snow axis and the r/s line closer in.'

Bring it on!

Yea, 12Z euro is basically a swing and a miss for us mountain folk.  Some token flakes here and there, but a big cut compared to the 00Z runs.  Again, down east NC seems to be the winner (run after run after run), so would hedge bets accordingly.

First guess: WNC mountains 1-3" including the AVL area (but more south and east), less north and west towards the TN line.

Archived