Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

Can you still get to Alarka falls. I went maybe 30 years ago and it was a chore.

Yes, you have to hike to it. you can take a forest service rd from Whittier or franklin that will take you to the top of the big laurel that's where the creek starts. it's a very nice area.

3 hours ago, Met1985 said:

The upslope snow signal looks pretty decent actually for tomorrow night into Thursday morning.  We will see but at least having some flakes fly will be nice. Then I think we see a relaxation for some time. 

I honestly hadn't paid that much attention but it doesn't look half bad. 4k NAM actually showing a sold dusting here overnight Wednesday. Might have to get up early Thursday for some shots of a white Grandfather.

Just now, Tyler Penland said:

I honestly hadn't paid that much attention but it doesn't look half bad. 4k NAM actually showing a sold dusting here overnight Wednesday. Might have to get up early Thursday for some shots of a white Grandfather.

Yeah the 12z looked decent also. Maybe an inch at the most favorable sights. This looks short and sweet but it's all we have. Friday is going to be frigid.

7 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah the 12z looked decent also. Maybe an inch at the most favorable sights. This looks short and sweet but it's all we have. Friday is going to be frigid.

Thursday looks worse than Friday up here. Low of 19/High of 24 with wind gusts to 45-50MPH. Single digit or below wind chills all day. Brrrrrrr.

We didn't really get insane wind with the last front which was abnormal TBH. Back to the ole weekly mid-grade tropical storm.

28 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

Thursday looks worse than Friday up here. Low of 19/High of 24 with wind gusts to 45-50MPH. Single digit or below wind chills all day. Brrrrrrr.

We didn't really get insane wind with the last front which was abnormal TBH. Back to the ole weekly mid-grade tropical storm.

Lol we got a pretty good breeze down here. And boy was it cold. Wind or no wind I want snow and cold.

Tomorrow be like:

AVERY-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-BUNCOMBE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BANNER ELK...NEWLAND...LUCK
255 PM EST WED DEC 14 2016

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 1 PM EST THURSDAY
ABOVE 3500 FEET...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED
A WIND CHILL ADVISORY ABOVE 3500 FEET...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM
3 AM TO 1 PM EST THURSDAY.

* LOCATIONS...RIDGES OF THE NORTHERN NORTH CAROLINA MOUNTAINS.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 MPH.

* WIND CHILL VALUES...AS LOW AS 9 BELOW.

* IMPACTS...BITTER WIND CHILLS MAY PRODUCE FROSTBITE WITH
  PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO THE COLD.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS
WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE LOW WIND CHILLS. THIS WILL RESULT IN
FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.
IF YOU MUST VENTURE OUTDOORS...MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A HAT AND
GLOVES.

&&

Yeah Joe tomorrow looks beautiful man! Not sure why the Wind chill advisory is not further down past Buncombe but it's going to be cold anyways. The gfs is still spitting out some snow tonight into tomorrow morning... The NWS is not biting and I don't blame them but I think a dusting to an inch is possible along the favored areas. 

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah Joe tomorrow looks beautiful man! Not sure why the Wind chill advisory is not further down past Buncombe but it's going to be cold anyways. The gfs is still spitting out some snow tonight into tomorrow morning... The NWS is not biting and I don't blame them but I think a dusting to an inch is possible along the favored areas. 

Yea wouldn't surprise me if someone above 5k saw an inch and a half based on the 12z GFS. Now for a bit of complaining. no "fantasy" storm for the rest of the year based on today's models. Even last year, everyone had at least a bit of snow before the torch of December. This isn't good. At all.

29 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Yea wouldn't surprise me if someone above 5k saw an inch and a half based on the 12z GFS. Now for a bit of complaining. no "fantasy" storm for the rest of the year based on today's models. Even last year, everyone had at least a bit of snow before the torch of December. This isn't good. At all.

Yeah but at least it's not going to be 75 like it was last year. This cold air is the only thing keeping me going . 

29 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

And so it begins, arctic blast 2016 is upon us. Seriously, winds have switched to the NW and are picking up. Just took the dogs for a walk and you can tell a change is in the air. It's cool to see these type of fronts come through even if they're not going to produce snow.

Yeah no clouds yet but it's coming I think. It's very cool tonight. The temp is down to 25 degrees with a very heavy frost already on everything.

5 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Euro gives us a Christmas gift before Christmas but the GFS is completely different. Will be interesting to see how things rlol towards next week.

Hopefully it's at least normal temp wise and not shorts weather. 

Does anyone remember when is used  to snow? This crap sure is getting old.

1 minute ago, franklin NCwx said:

Hopefully it's at least normal temp wise and not shorts weather. 

Does anyone remember when is used  to snow? This crap sure is getting old.

Yeah its a cold shot with some snow. Yes I agree this is getting very old. Either we are in a horrible stretch or this is the new norm.

Archived