Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

1 hour ago, strongwxnc said:

Enjoy the flakes kids! I will live through the Boone King St. Web cam and think of days gone pass :)

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/king-street-boone/

We've got a bit more up here in Blowing Rock. :P

Wasn't expecting much TBH so this solid coating this morning is nice. 

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/blowing-rock/

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I had several friends go see them last night and said TSO was amazing. Lucky me just got new tires so I got to miss that adventure.

Yeah it was amazing! First lows in the single digits this season! We may not get any snow but boy this is a completely different pattern than last December and I'll take it. Oh and a low of 9 degrees.

1 hour ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I'm sure at some pooint, we'll get some wintry precip, but this pattern we're heading into doesn't look very favorable for snow, even for us.

Meh its early December. At least we will get bouts of cold and more rain. We are still in a major drought around here. I'll take all the rain I can get currently. Even if that means no snow for a few weeks. But who really knows what the pattern will bring. The model swings are comical to say the least. Taking one model run for the truth is crazy. Even the Euro is swinging from one run to another run.

27 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Meh its early December. At least we will get bouts of cold and more rain. We are still in a major drought around here. I'll take all the rain I can get currently. Even if that means no snow for a few weeks. But who really knows what the pattern will bring. The model swings are comical to say the least. Taking one model run for the truth is crazy. Even the Euro is swinging from one run to another run.

Yea we do need the rain for sure. I mean it wouldn't bother me if we didn't get snow for a while, but if it's raining through January I'll probably flip my lid a few times. But that's a ways off.

1 minute ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Yea we do need the rain for sure. I mean it wouldn't bother me if we didn't get snow for a while, but if it's raining through January I'll probably flip my lid a few times. But that's a ways off.

Lol yeah I hear yeah. Still a lot of time remaining. It's been a long year so I understand everyone is on edge. 

12 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

No, it needs to snow. I get the drought and all but a couple feet of snow would help too.

BTW, another nice winter day. High was 28.4 so I've been below freezing for over 48 hours now. Refreshing.

I'm trying not to be too negative about the pattern so far lol. But I think it hit 36 in Jefferson today, went to Boone and it was 31, Although not as cold, was a nice day regardless.

1 hour ago, Tyler Penland said:

NAM may be on to something at least, we've fallen back to 31 after getting up to 35. DP still only 18º so wetbulb is 26.4

edit: now 30/18

Might be. Not sure the temp here but we have some  light rain this afternoon. You will do better up that way with the cols air hanging on longer.

NAM may be on to something at least, we've fallen back to 31 after getting up to 35. DP still only 18º so wetbulb is 26.4

edit: now 30/18

Tyler, you might be right but I'm afraid the warmer air is on it's way. I've actually gone up 1.8 degrees in the last hour due the SSW winds that have ramped up. But Blowing Rock does seem to hold on to cold air longer than other areas as Met said. At this point, I'd take a sleet pellet and call it a day.

8 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Tyler, you might be right but I'm afraid the warmer air is on it's way. I've actually gone up 1.8 degrees in the last hour due the SSW winds that have ramped up. But Blowing Rock does seem to hold on to cold air longer than other areas as Met said. At this point, I'd take a sleet pellet and call it a day.

Yeah the winds have really picked up down this way. Looks like we will be waiting on any winter weather. I would just like a normal freaking winter for once. The winters from 2012 to current have mostly sucked.

1 hour ago, SnoJoe said:

Oh I certainly don't expect anything of consequence. I find our little microscale climate here fascinating, though. We had ZR most of last Sunday afternoon with zero guidance or forecasts calling for it. This is my second winter up here and after spending the rest of my previous life in NE GA it doesn't take much to make me happy. We're back up to 31/26 now with SSW winds just kicking in. Yay rain!

Yeah the winds have really picked up down this way. Looks like we will be waiting on any winter weather. I would just like a normal freaking winter for once. The winters from 2012 to current have mostly sucked.

Heh, don't expect anything epic until I move back down south again. So never, lol.

54 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yea it's terrible..can't even get NWFS with all this cold air flying around..these 5000-6000 ft. mountains don't deserve this..Mid December and I haven't seen a flake.

1 hour ago, SnoJoe said:

850mb tells all

RkCm0Jq.jpg

Oh I certainly don't expect anything of consequence. I find our little microscale climate here fascinating, though. We had ZR most of last Sunday afternoon with zero guidance or forecasts calling for it. This is my second winter up here and after spending the rest of my previous life in NE GA it doesn't take much to make me happy. We're back up to 31/26 now with SSW winds just kicking in. Yay rain!

Heh, don't expect anything epic until I move back down south again. So never, lol.

Lol we will get back to winter weather eventually but it's extremely frustrating with these back to back to back years of suckage.

42 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Lol we will get back to winter weather eventually but it's extremely frustrating with these back to back to back years of suckage.

Been pretty bad when we can't even get to see many flakes from NWFS; maybe in April when I really don't want to see it.

3 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

No one has mentioned the possible NWFS tomorrow. So here ya go. there's a chance of NWFS tomorrow.

I'm "shovel ready". We actually had some icy roads here this morning. Not from anything falling, but some refreezing of yesterday's rain. 

It's trying to be winter but it just can't seem to get there.

Just now, SnoJoe said:

I'm "shovel ready". We actually had some icy roads here this morning. Not from anything falling, but some refreezing of yesterday's rain. 

It's trying to be winter but it just can't seem to get there.

I went to edit the post and apparently deleted it. It's either tomorrow or Thursday. I forgot what day it is today . and I'll take a pass with the ice stuff. Supposed to go to Asheboro Monday to see my gal, but ice will prevent that somewhat lol

Archived