Local Impacts to the NYC area from Hurricane Matthew

NJwx85

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

New

95ep48iwbg_fill.gif?1475610619

They may have to dial back the northern part of those totals like they did with Joaquin. Even the 12z GFS wasn't that wet here.

Not to mention if the further south Euro and UKMET verify.

Joaquin Forecast

wpc-7-day-12Z-9.30.15.jpg

Verification

JOA.png

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

They may have to dial back the northern part of those totals like they did with Joaquin. Even the 12z GFS wasn't that wet here.

Not to mention if the further south Euro and UKMET verify.

Joaquin Forecast

wpc-7-day-12Z-9.30.15.jpg

You're assuming that all of a sudden the models now have the correct idea. I think that's way too premature. 

I think it's almost 50/50 at this point that Matthew misses the trough completely.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

You're assuming that all of a sudden the models now have the correct idea. I think that's way too premature. 

I think it's almost 50/50 at this point that Matthew misses the trough completely.

You can't deny the 12z models shifting SE. Whether along the lines of the GFS or UK and Euro there would be less rain further north than those forecast based on older information. 

Just now, bluewave said:

You can't deny the 12z models shifting SE. Whether along the lines of the GFS or UK and Euro there would be less rain further north than those forecast based on older information.

And what happens when they shift back West tonight? The models have been completely inconsistent. 

I'll agree They have been inconsistent but you can't ignore every model at 12z shifting east it wasn't just one model it was every one of them.  And look at the hurricane model plots from 18z someone posted above there all further east then 12z

Believe it or not, even with the Euro exiting off the NC coast, we still get 0.25"+ rainfall from the PRE. 

If we can get the right interaction between the trough and Matthew, we can still get very significant impacts here even if Matthew passes well offshore.

5 minutes ago, rcad1 said:

I'll agree They have been inconsistent but you can't ignore every model at 12z shifting east it wasn't just one model it was every one of them.  And look at the hurricane model plots from 18z someone posted above there all further east then 12z

Most of those 18z hurricane models would still deliver significant rain to our area. Matthew is a large storm and the moisture feed on the NW side is well modeled. 

NAM critics turn away...

Latest NAM keeps the 'capture' solution alive.   Speeds up the trough getting here quicker, while GFS is slower with it's arrival. 

Both generally keep the strength of the trough similar....just the NAM gets it here quicker.  Which would mean a lot more rain for the north-east / mid-atlantic.

18z NAM vs 12z GFS

o3eJjx.gif

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Don't we have a strict policy against trolling across sub-forums?

Not trolling, the ridge that is slowing this system down and pushing it west will also keep it down south in the Carolinas where it will die. If it doesn't do that it will keep it south long enough that when the trough picks it up, it will be picked up near the Outer Banks of NC and take it due east. The trend is for a stronger ridge to the northeast and slower which means it isn't coming up the coast to NYC.

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

I lost so much sleep tracking this storm and Hermine and what happened? Nothing. This storm looked good on every model except the Euro and now the models went to the euro . Unbelievable.  NHC jinxed it after putting the northeast in the cone.

Nooooooooo not you too!! Dude we are still in the cone!! Wtf is going on here!! What happened to "its trending north" like we have with snow storms. I'm gonna laugh when this goes right over the bench mark. Making predictions this far out despite the models is ridiculous and the exact reason why the NHC hasn't bought it yet

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

18z gfs is going to miss the trough and this is going to cutoff 

Pretty evident the models are trending to a miss for the north. With the ridge being pumped up by 2 tropical systems it is not surprising that neither have an outlet to the northeast.

All the models have consistently trended toward a zonal pattern. A few days ago the GFS showed a much sharper trough that would have brought record cold to the Northeast and snow for Northern New England on the back end of Matthew. Even the Euro solutions a few days ago would have brought pretty cold weather behind the storm. Now it looks like just a regular October cold front.

9 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Pretty evident the models are trending to a miss for the north. With the ridge being pumped up by 2 tropical systems it is not surprising that neither have an outlet to the northeast.

Trough out west is noticeably flatter. Skirts Fl and southeast coast then it's going to out to sea 

23 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Nooooooooo not you too!! Dude we are still in the cone!! Wtf is going on here!! What happened to "its trending north" like we have with snow storms. I'm gonna laugh when this goes right over the bench mark. Making predictions this far out despite the models is ridiculous and the exact reason why the NHC hasn't bought it yet

The nhc is often late to the party, not wanting to adjust the path too often. There's time yes but the consensus today is for a flatter trough. Can't exactly being it up the coast of that trend continues

11 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Trough out west is noticeably flatter. Skirts Fl and southeast coast then it's going to out to sea 

With the exception of the January blizzard and early February snowstorm, suppressed storm tracks to our SE have been the rule here last few years.

6 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

yea, but it's nowhere near 'over'

GFS was originally deeper with the trough, like the NAM currently is.    Nothing's saying the GFS goes back to the deeper solution in the days ahead.  plenty of time.

Thank you!!! Someone with sanity. This is the last time I will say this till it invedibly happens during winter. Stop living and dying run to run, stop making calls or certainty 5-6 days out and most importantly STOP THINKING YOUR SMARTER THEN THE NHC. I promise you, your not. If this thing was for sure going out to sea they would have adjusted the cone.   And finally there is even a chance of a cyclonic loop now. All options are on the table with any tropical system till 2 days out

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

With the exception of the January blizzard and early February snowstorm, suppressed storm tracks to our SE have been the rule here last few years.

We just can't get a costal storm to give a us a benchmark track if our lives depended on it. The war is not even enough to help us out 

Archived