SnowHabit
Tracking Hurricane Matthew and any potential impacts to New England

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two obs.

Movement appears to be stair stepping.

Still far removed, way far away but starting to get "that" sound of the wind with swaying motion of the trees. A lot of hardwood species, my lot abuts two other properties on W and S side. Just so happens the house is located right in that niche. I'm worried about the backside.

1 minute ago, ROOSTA said:

Two obs.

Movement appears to be stair stepping.

Still far removed, way far away but starting to get "that" sound of the wind with swaying motion of the trees. A lot of hardwood species, my lot abuts two other properties on W and S side. Just so happens the house is located right in that niche. I'm worried about the backside.

Australian pines are the worst in my experience.  Most of the other stuff is significantly tougher than NE forests.

As it relates to messaging, I saw some interesting discussion yesterday. We have focused so much on wind with hurricanes that we might have created our own monster. The building codes are strict down there, so if you're rated for Cat 4 you assume you're safe. But what about surge and inland flooding? Those kill far more people.

this is the worst scenario imaginable for PR purposes...

think about this.  what happens is J.Q. Public reacts to this sort of "miss" in one of two ways:

1 ... i lived through a hurricane; i know what they're all about now

2 ... see - i didn't evacuate and knew it was all hype

in only serves to galvanize the actions of the stupidly inclined, such that the next one has THAT much more capacity to kill.  

Archived