Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tracking Hurricane Matthew and any potential impacts to New England

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Maybe this has been discussed already, and yeah, it's way too soon to go into it but it really looks like once the storm is done pummeling the south east coast it wants to go back for a second round next week. 

As a weak LP, what is more concerning is the additional swell expected in NE Florida with a very high full moon tide next week on damaged dunes

52 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Reflectivity in the eye might be birds? Not a meteorological signal anyway.

kamx_20161006_1840_BR_0.5.png

This definitely looks like ERC is commencing. Recent visible images looks like it as well.  Wondering if it has time to complete ERC before reaching the coast and how much the windfield might expand.

Also that strange reflectivity in the current eye - do any of the Hurricane hunters release chaf of some sort for tracking/science/etc...??   Hard to imagine there are birds in there.

7 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

This definitely looks like ERC is commencing. Recent visible images looks like it as well.  Wondering if it has time to complete ERC before reaching the coast and how much the windfield might expand.

Also that strange reflectivity in the current eye - do any of the Hurricane hunters release chaf of some sort for tracking/science/etc...??   Hard to imagine there are birds in there.

It's been hypothesized in past hurricanes (Hermine, Irene, Arthur to name a few) and the Hurricane Hunters have reported seeing them.

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's been hypothesized in past hurricanes (Hermine, Irene, Arthur to name a few) and the Hurricane Hunters have reported seeing them.

Hmm...interesting.  Although now that I think about it if any birds did get caught up in the storm, following it along in the eye is the safest place to be.

It's been a bit east of consensus for a little while. But it may wobble west too, shortly. Now with double eye wall, what will that do?

Looks like it may be encountering some dry air in the NW quadrant? Or it may be undergoing another ERC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, dryslot said:

Looks like it may be encountering some dry air in the NW quadrant? Or it may be undergoing another ERC

ERC for sure...and also a bit of shear, but we'll see how it goes. Sometimes these wobbles can fool us a bit. But it's gonna have to turn west pretty quick for the eye to miss Grand Bahama Island.

ERC for sure...and also a bit of shear, but we'll see how it goes. Sometimes these wobbles can fool us a bit. But it's gonna have to turn west pretty quick for the eye to miss Grand Bahama Island.

Yeah, It looks like it wants to track right over them but it will have to start going more WNW to verify some of the models

11 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

A sense of relief watching the (must be hallucinations) of a N track. The further N the better missing the highly populated southern counties. Interesting feature: a double eye-wall. I don't know or understand the dynamics other then an ERC.

looking at velocity loops it was a wobble looks like no ERC and motion is NW again Westend of Grand Bahama 

24 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

All that is happening is eye is wobbling around entire system, motion is still NW

The wobbling is easy to throw everyone off...though like I mentioned before, it looks like it will pass on the eastern side of guidance from earlier. I don't think it is going to miss Grand Bahama Island. The western solutions missed GBI. We're only talking like 30 miles here, but that's going to matter when we start getting near the Florida coast. Its possible it moves more westerly after Grand Bahama too.

Archived