Newest Member
    Dano62
Let's Talk Winter!!

Steve

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, iluvsnow said:

And the Euro has a 984 MB low over West Virginia Monday. Not a flake anywhere....strong Northeast wind and a driving rain! Cats are chasing dogs and up is down. 

Just think, with some cold. Bad enough to waste a strong system like this in October. But January? What'd we do to deserve this?

14 hours ago, Angrysummons said:

I have had 14 inches of snow the last winter and half. So basically my average is about 50 inches through that time frame.
 Something has to break soon. Even that "modified" pna ridge/western pump looks dry. Maybe can squeeze out another inch. What does the pattern do? Can we keep the PAC ridge when the pna flips back negative or will it relax back into the current crap?

Everyone hoping for a switch in February might be disappointed.   If models are correct, the AO stays strongly positive, the NAO very positive, the PNA starts to go negative, we start losing the negative epo as well.     And the frosting on the winter turd cake is the MJO is suppose to exit the circle of death into phase 6 which is the warmest phase for us during JFM.

Good luck with hanging your hat on a strat warming event...lmao.

Oh, and the 00z eps only has a couple of days slightly below normal in the day 7 range and then well above through day 15.

This is turning into 2011-2012.  It will be interesting to see if spring torches or we have a miserable cold one.    Hoping for the prior, but will probably be the latter.  I'm sure there will be plenty of app runners with driving rain and 38 degrees.

This morning I woke up once again to an incredible overnight low temp in the 50's in January...crazy.   The birds are singing and it feels and smells like a late April morning.

Unbelieveable

4 hours ago, buckeye said:

Everyone hoping for a switch in February might be disappointed.   If models are correct, the AO stays strongly positive, the NAO very positive, the PNA starts to go negative, we start losing the negative epo as well.     And the frosting on the winter turd cake is the MJO is suppose to exit the circle of death into phase 6 which is the warmest phase for us during JFM.

Oh, and the 00z eps only has a couple of days slightly below normal in the day 7 range and then well above through day 15.

This is turning into 2011-2012.  It will be interesting to see if spring torches or we have a miserable cold one.    Hoping for the prior, but will probably be the latter.  I'm sure there will be plenty of app runners with driving rain and 38 degrees.

This morning I woke up once again to an incredible overnight low temp in the 50's in January...crazy.   The birds are singing and it feels and smells like a late April morning.

Unbelieveable

I don't know Buck..me likey the look of 12z GFS...lots of opps for clippers. 

4 hours ago, buckeye said:

Unbelieveable

I have some mixed feelings going forward. First off, today is stellar and this blow torch will end up taking out a huge chunk of January. Can't get around that, and I whiffed pretty badly on how significant the torch would be until it got closer in. 

Going forward, not every EPS run has been as warm as the 0z last night and even that run had some cold shots on the individual members in the day 10-15 range. If we get a ridge into Alaska/-EPO like the ensembles show during week 2, even with other unfavorable teleconnections we'd likely see some occasional cold and opportunities for snow. It would get mild at times too but wouldn't be a consistent torch IMO. 

As we head farther into Feb the question is can something change that allows cold to lock in more? We have an MJO passage  now that's helping to spark the initial cool down, but we may go back to convection well west of the dateline which is where it's been most of the fall and winter. A SSW could change things up...but SSWs in La Ninas don't correlate as strongly to eastern U.S. Cold as ones in El Ninos from what I've read, so it's not a slam dunk...but it would be a positive development that may break us from the predominant pattern so far this winter. 

We still have a lot of winter left...a dud in a weak La Niña for Ohio would be a surprise, but it has happened before and will again. Just sucks following last winter if this one is a dud again. 

31 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Euro also agrees.   Hmm, Pondo is good cop and I'm bad cop.   Well it's worth a try, the other way around failed the first half of winter.

LOL!! Maybe we'll have to demote you! We'll see how things shake out. You know me, I do like a good clipper pattern. We can do real well w/ clippers around here as history has shown. 

Good post, OH weather. Unfortunately, I think you are spot on. 

I say "unfortunately" because your post sums up in a nutshell why winter climo is so horrendous in the GL/OV outside of the northern lake belts. It is incredibly maddening to need everything to go right in order to get sustainable wintry weather. PDO this, EPO that, SSW, AO/NAO, etc. In DJF, the base state should be wintry...but it just isn't the case. Even in the heart of winter, we can never get consistent wintry conditions...not saying feet and feet of snow, just occasional snow with highs in the 20s and lows in the teens. Heck, I get upset when a single DJF day gets above freezing...much less several consecutive days and nights above freezing. That would be fine in November or March...but not DJF. 

What is causing this terrible pattern over the past 5 weeks? I thought last year's strong El Niño was unacceptable and incredibly rare..,yet this winter has actually been worse IMBY. I have run out of ways to describe how bad it is. 

On 1/21/2017 at 0:57 PM, pondo1000 said:

I don't know Buck..me likey the look of 12z GFS...lots of opps for clippers. 

You'll never win playing good cop with weather here.    That clipper train derailed and it looks like we first have to deal with a clipper that goes north and gives Michigan more fun, then after that another potential Carolina crusher if you believe the long term OP euro*.

good times.

EDIT....I just checked out the euro ens and virtually there is zero support for the carolina crusher.   There 18 out of 51 members however that have a MAJOR snowstorm for us starving folks around day 9-10.   That is actually a very impressive signal for this far out.

and here I go, playing schizo good cop.  :wacko:

57 minutes ago, buckeye said:

You'll never win playing good cop with weather here.    That clipper train derailed and it looks like we first have to deal with a clipper that goes north and gives Michigan more fun, then after that another potential Carolina crusher if you believe the long term OP euro*.

good times.

EDIT....I just checked out the euro ens and virtually there is zero support for the carolina crusher.   There 18 out of 51 members however that have a MAJOR snowstorm for us starving folks around day 9-10.   That is actually a very impressive signal for this far out.

and here I go, playing schizo good cop.  :wacko:

Lol. I know. I give up. Although that clipper is further south than it was a few days ago...what am I doing! Nevermind, back to reality now. 

Seems as though winter is just simply dead in Ohio. Like I said in an earlier post. We are Missed North, South, east and west. With the exception of a couple snowfalls for the past 3 winters really. All I know is barring a late Feb/March surprise this winter appears to be over for us unless you're holding out hope for a SE shift for the 5-7, I'm not.

18 hours ago, pondo1000 said:

We should have a friendly little wager on how many pages this thread will be at on April 1st. I'll set the under/over at 13 pages. 

What's amazing to me is that not only are we sitting on pathetic snow totals, but we have not had one single trackable threat inside of 5 days this winter.    The only appreciable snow was the surprise clipper-esque system that popped up the day before in December.    If not for that we would be sitting around 3 or 4 inches for the season....instead of 7 lol.     

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

What's amazing to me is that not only are we sitting on pathetic snow totals, but we have not had one single trackable threat inside of 5 days this winter.    The only appreciable snow was the surprise clipper-esque system that popped up the day before in December.    If not for that we would be sitting around 3 or 4 inches for the season....instead of 7 lol.     

Ok, so Buck's in for under 13 pages........

21 hours ago, pondo1000 said:

We should have a friendly little wager on how many pages this thread will be at on April 1st. I'll set the under/over at 13 pages. 

Under. The only way to get close is for a major storm to happen. The 22-24 period has been looking interesting on the GFS. 12z Euro @240 looked somewhat interesting itself.

2 hours ago, pondo1000 said:

Ok, so Buck's in for under 13 pages........

I want to say under out of sheer bitterness...    but I have a feeling, (not optimism necessarily, just a feeling), that we may get suckered into tracking a potential big dog between now and the 2nd week of March.    Not saying it will materialize into a big dog, but maybe enough trackable hype to generate enough conversation to push us above 13.

So I'll man-up and put down my number:

14 pages

...and if it doesn't happen, I'll just post mindless, (well more mindless than usual), things to ensure it.:P

24 minutes ago, buckeye said:

I want to say under out of sheer bitterness...    but I have a feeling, (not optimism necessarily, just a feeling), that we may get suckered into tracking a potential big dog between now and the 2nd week of March.    Not saying it will materialize into a big dog, but maybe enough trackable hype to generate enough conversation to push us above 13.

So I'll man-up and put down my number:

14 pages

...and if it doesn't happen, I'll just post mindless, (well more mindless than usual), things to ensure it.:P

Ok, so u r in as an over bet. I'll climb aboard the Buck train & say over as well.

Now, no worthless posts to push it over! Lol

Archived