Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Let's Talk Winter!!

Steve

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, jbcmh81 said:

The rest of January looks like a total bust for Ohio.  Sorry guys!

I think it's a little early to stick a fork in the entire month yet.  There will be an unquestionably bad pattern after the weekend ice "threat" for at least a week, but the longer range models and ensembles are already hinting at the AK vortex going away and being replaced by ridging for the last week of the month...so we could sneak in something late in the month.  We've been pretty good at popping that Aleutian ridge this winter when the Pacific jet has retracted, and we'll see if that happens again late this month. 

Went out to an unexpected thin layer of pixie dust on my car this morning...Interesting.  

Definitely watching this weekend closely.  As of now, appears that any icing down here in Cincy would be short lived and washed away by rain pretty quickly.  However, this setup has the potential to be very nasty for someone in our area.  I would say folks northwest of Cincy (MO/IL/IN) stand the best shot at major ice but we are still in the game.  And that is not a game I want to be in....

Was checking the long range for the end of next week which is when the Hocking Hills 52nd Annual Winter Hike is scheduled for Sat the 21st (http://thehockinghills.org/Park_Event_Winter_Hike.htm), man is it looking fugly!  I know the 06zGFS is an outlier, but come on, we're going right through the core of winter and not one 850 is below 0c for the next 16 days!!!!  Looks like falling in the mud will be the rule this year...

11 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:
Your everlasting winter
You can see it fading fast
So you grab a piece of something
That you think is gonna last
But you wouldn't know a diamond
If you held it in your hand
The things you think are precious
I can't understand
Are you reelin' in the years buckeye
Stowin' away the time
Are you gatherin' up the tears
Have you had enough of snowtime
Are you reelin' in the years pondo
Stowin' away the time
You been tellin' me you're a genius Judah Cohan
Since you were seventeen
In all the time I've known you
I still don't know what you mean
The weekends looking at siberian snowcover
Didn't turn out like you planned
The things that pass for knowledge
I can't understand
Are you reelin' in the years
Stowin' away the time

LMAO!!!

9 minutes ago, Chinook said:

I can't figure out why neither NWS ILN or NWS IND have a winter weather advisory for sleet and freezing rain.

For this weekend's storm?

1. Still early.

2. Uncertainty of how far south the front reaches and how far north it retreats and spreads precip.

I'd expect a Freezing Rain Advisory between I-70 and the river in Ohio issued tomorrow.

17 hours ago, osubrett2 said:

For this weekend's storm?

1. Still early.

2. Uncertainty of how far south the front reaches and how far north it retreats and spreads precip.

I'd expect a Freezing Rain Advisory between I-70 and the river in Ohio issued tomorrow.

Exactly what happened, but yesterday's 12z NAM/RGEM/GGEM were the only models heavy on QPF. Actually most have decreased from the lower totals they were showing earlier in the week.

32 minutes ago, osubrett2 said:

Exactly what happened, but yesterday's 12z NAM/RGEM/GGEM were the only models heavy on QPF. Actually most have decreased from the lower totals they were showing earlier in the week.

Yes definitely a trend down in QPF.  Heck, Euro has barely anything.  Also, looks like temps down here by the river may struggle to even dip below freezing.  ILN also referenced the METRo road model which doesn't show road temps dipping below freezing.  I still think the advisory is a good call to be safe but it really is not looking bad down here.  Farther north towards I-70 still looks good for a light glaze.

20 hours ago, Angrysummons said:
Your everlasting winter
You can see it fading fast
So you grab a piece of something
That you think is gonna last
But you wouldn't know a diamond
If you held it in your hand
The things you think are precious
I can't understand
Are you reelin' in the years buckeye
Stowin' away the time
Are you reelin' in the years pondo
Stowin' away the time
You been tellin' me you're a genius Judah Cohan
Since you were seventeen
In all the time I've known you
I still don't know what you mean
The weekends looking at siberian snowcover
Didn't turn out like you planned
The things that pass for knowledge
I can't understand
Are you reelin' in the years
Stowin' away the time

Well done sir!

You may have just jinxed us into yet another winter that doesn't begin until mid February and doesn't end until late April....stowin' away the time.

12 minutes ago, wxdudemike said:

Yes definitely a trend down in QPF.  Heck, Euro has barely anything.  Also, looks like temps down here by the river may struggle to even dip below freezing.  ILN also referenced the METRo road model which doesn't show road temps dipping below freezing.  I still think the advisory is a good call to be safe but it really is not looking bad down here.  Farther north towards I-70 still looks good for a light glaze.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Aside from a few counties near the lake in Illinois and Indiana, December averaged out to normal across most of the Midwest. January should finish above average, espicially if the euro is to be believed next week (widespread 60s) either way torchy next week. 

February will once again need to play hero and save the winter, and deliver in a big way. I don't see that happening, feel like spring will win the battle early this year, maybe I'm wrong. 

I'm closing in on 2 years now without a snowfall greater than 6". And 10 years without a snowfall greater than 12". 

Winters since 2011 (2013-2014 aside) have been very subpar around here. Even the winter of 2014-2015 which was cold, we tied December for the least snowiest on record in 2014 with a measly T recorded.

IMG_0364.PNG

5 hours ago, Chambana said:

I'm closing in on 2 years now without a snowfall greater than 6". And 10 years without a snowfall greater than 12". 

Hang on my friend... Karma is en route for us...

Draw a line from central IL to Pittsburgh....   

Epic if not historic blockbuster circa January 27th.    400 mile stretch of i-70 closed for 3 days.

Mark it:o

2 hours ago, buckeye said:

Hang on my friend... Karma is en route for us...

Draw a line from central IL to Pittsburgh....   

Epic if not historic blockbuster circa January 27th.    400 mile stretch of i-70 closed for 3 days.

Mark it:o

Hoosier's I Have a Dream storm.

4 minutes ago, buckeye said:

18z gfs has the most beautiful 384 hr storm I've seen in the fantasy range in a long time.

I'd post the image but I'm having issues posting pics here for some reason.   Basically a 987 low over eastern WV....

....sigh...

Fantasy is all we got gentlemen.... it's all we got

Yeah its a beauty.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_52.png

9 minutes ago, buckeye said:

18z gfs has the most beautiful 384 hr storm I've seen in the fantasy range in a long time.

I'd post the image but I'm having issues posting pics here for some reason.   Basically a 987 low over eastern WV....

....sigh...

Fantasy is all we got gentlemen.... it's all we got

Check to make sure that you haven't used up your allotted attachment space.

1 hour ago, jbcmh81 said:

16-17 going for an even lamer winter than last year.  Man, the predictions really sucked.  While I am just following this vicariously, I'm kind of happy not to be dealing with it.

Let me guess, you either moved to Canada or you're living in the same post-election bunker community as Alek

Archived