Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Let's Talk Winter!!

Steve

Just now, vespasian70 said:

Looking at @ 2" here on the Northside of Newark too.  Might end up near 3" according to the radar.

It'll be interesting to see what the airport ends up with.   Last couple of winters they've had a tendency to measure from the taint.    Still, this was like a mini-clipper.  Acted and felt a lot like our usual CMH clippers, even the time of day, (mid morning start to late afternoon).

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, buckeye said:

It'll be interesting to see what the airport ends up with.   Last couple of winters they've had a tendency to measure from the taint.    Still, this was like a mini-clipper.  Acted and felt a lot like our usual CMH clippers, even the time of day, (mid morning start to late afternoon).

Yup! The only realistic way to get decent snow in our area..let's be honest. I am grateful for these types of systems in this snow hole of central Ohio! 

2 minutes ago, pondo1000 said:

Yup! The only realistic way to get decent snow in our area..let's be honest. I am grateful for these types of systems in this snow hole of central Ohio! 

Pondo my friend,

You're sounding angry.....  You might need to take a weekend and book a flight to a real snow town, (ie philly). :P

Obviously not in our sub, but wow California has been in quite the wet pattern lately. 8-10" of rain forecasted for Northern California over the next few days! Good news for them folks. 

Got hit with a quick 1" snowfall during morning rush hour, multiple accidents. Added a nice white landscape temporarily.

32 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Still, this was like a mini-clipper.  Acted and felt a lot like our usual CMH clippers, even the time of day, (mid morning start to late afternoon).

Agreed, and over-performed. Measured 3" on the grass and car, 2" or so on pavement. A nice little surprise!

I won't think about it washing away this weekend ...

3 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

Got 5" here. Nice overachiever. ILN dropped the ball big time not issuing a WWA for something that dam near needed a WSW.

I thought the same thing, kind of strange especially considering they had ample time to issue.   I'd say between 3 and 4 here from what I could tell cleaning off the car.

7 hours ago, buckeye said:

radar looks good.  Interesting week ahead if nothing else.    What are your thoughts about the weekend storm?   I'm wondering if the backside may yield more winter precip than the front side, (some models kind of bullish on that and trending moreso).

I agree on the backside. The front end dump has been pushing further north over the past few major model runs. And we know how WAA events go around here. Very impressed with the cold blast being advertised again through Sunday and Monday but it gets moderated as it pushed our way. The energy we're looking at comes out of the Four Corners which is usually good for us, it tries to come north, but gets shunted, stays flat, and slides east. Definitely worth following though.

11 minutes ago, osubrett2 said:

I agree on the backside. The front end dump has been pushing further north over the past few major model runs. And we know how WAA events go around here. Very impressed with the cold blast being advertised again through Sunday and Monday but it gets moderated as it pushed our way. The energy we're looking at comes out of the Four Corners which is usually good for us, it tries to come north, but gets shunted, stays flat, and slides east. Definitely worth following though.

I can think of a few really good WAA events that gave us significant snow here.   I'm hoping that the gfs is too far north, (or at least not far enough south), with the initial precip shield.  Hard to imagine we're gonna scour out the arctic air and snow with a warm front that gives us no welcome gift at all.

7 minutes ago, buckeye said:

I can think of a few really good WAA events that gave us significant snow here.   I'm hoping that the gfs is too far north, (or at least not far enough south), with the initial precip shield.  Hard to imagine we're gonna scour out the arctic air and snow with a warm front that gives us no welcome gift at all.

Very true, didn't even think about how today's snow will affect temperatures the rest of the week, since the large scale models didn't even pick up on this until inside 24 hours.

Congrats central Ohio! It always seems that these events are best at providing snow versus days of agonizing over models that show phantom storms that never materialize. 

Looks like CMH(4.4") is beating CLE(3.4") for seasonal snowfall so far! 

14 minutes ago, Trent said:

Congrats central Ohio! It always seems that these events are best at providing snow versus days of agonizing over models that show phantom storms that never materialize. 

I kinda like the pre-game aspect of a storm as well.  Those couple of days beforehand when you know it's coming.   But this was still a nice surprise.  I would imagine we better not blink or we'll miss being ahead Cleveland in snowfall.

48 minutes ago, Trent said:

Congrats central Ohio! It always seems that these events are best at providing snow versus days of agonizing over models that show phantom storms that never materialize

THIS x 100 zillion!!! Couldn't agree more! 

Congrats to the CMH folks.  Got about 1/2" left (more this morning but then melted with sleet/rain).  Had some fairly heavy snow falling at times this afternoon though.  That was my biggest surprise...figured we would finish out mostly rain.  Every single branch of the trees is covered though so it looks very lovely out there.  Now on the arctic chiller! :shiver:

Here's some eye candy for you guys, its been since 3 winters since I've even used my snow blower (took me a while to remember how to start it).  I installed a security system 2 1/2 years ago and it's never recorded me using my snow blower LOL (started first pull BTW, I love Sta-bil)! 

I got 6" even IMBY today (pic with the blue ruler, which might be our heaviest since the 2013/14 winter), 5.25" at my office near the base, and my brother in Xenia recorded exactly one beer can's depth on his patio table :P

PS - I made a post back in the 2nd week of April this year when I got 2" on my truck for a mid spring snow, not sure you guys saw it.

20161213_175912_sm.jpg

Richs_total_20161213.jpg

Dec_13_2016_6_inch_snow.PNG

12 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Nice pics HighTech,   pretty crazy when you consider 2 days ago there was no mention of snow....at least here.

One nice thing about this one was how it stuck to everything.   That's a japanese maple in the foreground.

121316snow.JPG

Awesome picture, love these snows that stick to everything.So calm and peaceful looking.. Looks like you guys did pretty well with this. SWPA crew scored a general 2-4 from most reports so not bad considering. Looks like we are in the same boat for the weekend storm, hoping for a quick front end thump before the tongue comes in..

1 hour ago, CoachLB said:

good news is it falls early and the rain washes it away by sun up. Bad news is another storm flop.:raining:

Even worse news, at the moment there's no real threat of snow through Christmas and we lose our snow cover this weekend.  No one does a brown Christmas like central Ohio!!

Archived