Newest Member
    joxey
Let's Talk Winter!!

Steve

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/8/2016 at 5:43 PM, osubrett2 said:

Nothing new, semi typical for central Ohio climatology. I'm expecting light snow early Sunday, maybe another inch of heavy snow Sunday night and then the rain. If it's at least going to rain, make it warm enough for 50. Hard pass on 38 and heavy rain. :thumbsdown:

Well, we got that inch overnight, but it was followed by 5 minutes of sleet before the switch to rain about 2 hours ago. So much for that heavy 1" of snow. 

15 hours ago, dilly84 said:

I think part of it is seeing every storm miss in every direction for the past 2 winters. It's just becoming a waste of time even tracking storms.

No doubt a couple of frustrating winters.  Climatology is one thing, but we've had 2 consecutive winters in a row where big dogs were whiffing us not just to the north as you would expect, but to the south as well.   Those are the toughest ones to swallow.    

The Indy to CMH corridor is due.   Ma nature always has a way of scaling things out, so hopefully an I-70 blockbuster is in our future....eventually? :weenie:

By the way, the 00z GFS has us at 62 degrees on Christmas day :lol:

17 hours ago, dilly84 said:

I think part of it is seeing every storm miss in every direction for the past 2 winters. It's just becoming a waste of time even tracking storms.

2 hours ago, buckeye said:

No doubt a couple of frustrating winters.  Climatology is one thing, but we've had 2 consecutive winters in a row where big dogs were whiffing us not just to the north as you would expect, but to the south as well.   Those are the toughest ones to swallow.    

The Indy to CMH corridor is due.   Ma nature always has a way of scaling things out, so hopefully an I-70 blockbuster is in our future....eventually? :weenie:

By the way, the 00z GFS has us at 62 degrees on Christmas day :lol:

Yep, I agree with this sentiment. '15-'16 had no storms, '14-'15 was a Clipper parade, last legitimate storm IMO was 2/4/14 (or 2/5/14) as I received 6-7" IMBY before a slight switchover to sleet before ending. Everything in between, and maybe even dating back to 12/26/12, has been a miss to the north or south.

Our climatology is not favorable like Chicago, Toledo, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. but it's hard to swallow even moreso with the big hits Kentucky has taken the last few years.

3 hours ago, buckeye said:

and all of a sudden out of nowhere tomorrow may bring a couple of inches to central OH.  

Yay! These are the kind I like, the ones that trend better vs. worse as we get closer. Overall, this area sux for snow lovers. I'd take living and dying by the sword where I grew up on the east coast vs. this BS. At least on the coast, you have a legitimate chance at a blizzard. Not here in central Ohio. The one here March of '08 was ok, but the Blizzard of '96 eats that one for a snack all day long! 

16 minutes ago, pondo1000 said:

Yay! These are the kind I like, the ones that trend better vs. worse as we get closer. Overall, this area sux for snow lovers. I'd take living and dying by the sword where I grew up on the east coast vs. this BS. At least on the coast, you have a legitimate chance at a blizzard. Not here in central Ohio. The one here March of '08 was ok, but the Blizzard of '96 eats that one for a snack all day long! 

It's officially winter in Ohio... Pondo has awoken!

I lived in Bucks County outside Philly in the mid 70's and I have ZERO childhood snowfall memories during the 3 winters we lived there.   Than we moved to Ohio in fall of  '77.   Imagine asking me in spring of '78 what my views were about east coast vs. Ohio winters....:lol:.    

3 minutes ago, buckeye said:

It's officially winter in Ohio... Pondo has awoken!

I lived in Bucks County outside Philly in the mid 70's and I have ZERO childhood snowfall memories during the 3 winters we lived there.   Than we moved to Ohio in fall of  '77.   Imagine asking me in spring of '78 what my views were about east coast vs. Ohio winters....:lol:.    

Yup, back, for now.....LOL

You didn't live there in Bucks County long enough because I grew up there and the '83 Blizzard was something special too!

Let's hope we have something special to talk about this year in this snow hole called central Ohio! 

Ok I'm going to put this out there, I've noticed that this December so far and if you compare what's being modeled over the next couple of weeks is eerily similar to Dec. '77 for Ohio (as far as analogs go for big rollercoaster rides all month)...  If the first 8 days of Jan. are full of flooding rains, then watch out about the 9th, the hammer may drop for the rest of the winter!  B)

6 minutes ago, osubrett2 said:

HRRR bringing ~2" through CMH. Could be a nice little event.

radar looks good.  Interesting week ahead if nothing else.    What are your thoughts about the weekend storm?   I'm wondering if the backside may yield more winter precip than the front side, (some models kind of bullish on that and trending moreso).

Also in Bellbrook and enjoying the first system snow of the season. Great that a day or two ago...nothing was forecast. Goes to show not to take everything the models say ten days...let alone two days down the road. Mother Nature is her own boss sometime. Sure glad the Arctic express will have some white on the ground for its visit later this week. Nothing more depressing to me than an Arctic outbreak on brown grass. At a little after nine on Tuesday morning...the snow is nearly snow globe style.

Had a nice burst of snow at the onset down here in NE Cincy...has started switching to the mix but not before a quick covering on the grass.

Anything in Dec is bonus when it comes to winter precip types for OV. Look forward to this weekend with nothing to lose this early... hopefully that attitude will bring a dumping to somewhere close by.

hey guys -- just moved to columbus from nyc this past year.  more of a lurker than a poster, but just wanted to say hi.  light snow falling in here in bexley.  radar shows a heavier band to the south -- is that heavier snow or a mix?  looking forward to a snowy winter here in central ohio...  (last winter in nyc we had our biggest snowstorm ever -- 27.5 inches -- i'm hoping to bring some of that luck here to columbus...)

j

15 hours ago, osubrett2 said:

Let's hope she overachieves and we can top 2".

First synaptic flakes of the season this morning here in the Dayton area (south of I-70 that is).

1pm update, just under 3 inches now just south of Wright-Patt AFB and looks like it could put down another inch if the radar holds out.

2pm update, just passed 3 1/2", still coming down fairly heavy. The only station in Ohio reporting heavy snow at 2pm is about 5 miles due west of where I live lol.

4 minutes ago, buckeye said:

haven't taken a measurement but I'll just say we have over 2" imby....grass tips covered.   Looking at radar I would imagine there has to be some isolated 4" amounts around, especially right along or slightly south of I-70

Looking at @ 2" here on the Northside of Newark too.  Might end up near 3" according to the radar.

Archived