Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Let's Talk Winter!!

Steve

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks to be an active winter for the Midwest and Ohio valley. If the Nina doesn't form and we stay with la nada, the SE ridge should slowly decay. With that, we should see a nice storm track setting up, something similar to a Colorado Low track. This could be a nice year for snow totals!

8 hours ago, buckeye said:

Steve!

Maybe breaking the trend and not posting this until October will change our luck for the better.   We're overdue for a big dog!

Eh, we've had a lot of relative big dogs in the last 10 or so years.  More than really any similar period on record. 

On 10/4/2016 at 3:48 PM, jbcmh81 said:

Eh, we've had a lot of relative big dogs in the last 10 or so years.  More than really any similar period on record. 

I guess being missed by the biggest of the big dogs east of the Miss in the last few years is why it seems worse....all relative.   The last 2 years each featured epic snow storms wiff us to the south and east and before that a couple of epic storms north and west of us.   But yea, relative to Columbus....Columbus has done well.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, time to get busy,  what do you think about the clipper like systems this Sunday and again next Tuesday that could whiten things up on everything except the roads, then the monster winter storm next weekend the 17/18th that could be a huge ice storm with heavy snow or all snow for Indiana/Ohio?

13 hours ago, HighTechEE said:

Ok guys, time to get busy,  what do you think about the clipper like systems this Sunday and again next Tuesday that could whiten things up on everything except the roads, then the monster winter storm next weekend the 17/18th that could be a huge ice storm with heavy snow or all snow for Indiana/Ohio?

I like your optimism but I'm kind of dubious about the Sunday set up.  SLP moves north of us and elongates to the south.   That's not a great snow set up for our neck of the woods.   Could we get some wet snow and maybe 1-3" on grassy surfaces?...yea...but unless this trends further south and better organized I wouldn't expect too much more.    

As far as next week, that seems to be trending weaker.   As far as the lala land threat next weekend,  yes, lots of model agreement on something but we've seen these 7+ day threats collapse more times than not.

Sorry for the debbie downer...just keeping it real and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

I'll add this:   I'm on the 72hr train this winter.   I'm not believing anything until model agreement 72hrs and less out.    First winter I've opted not to sign up for wxbell also.   It's kind of nice.  I'm sure by now I would have already had a few hype-induced disappointments under my belt.  The no to low expectation route, (aka reality),  keeps the sanity. ;)

59 minutes ago, buckeye said:

A great pattern for the turnpike, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago folk....a heart breaker for the Indy to CMH crowd, even as we shiver our asses off right now.  

Best advice: crack open a cold one and be patient. ;)

Nothing new, semi typical for central Ohio climatology. I'm expecting light snow early Sunday, maybe another inch of heavy snow Sunday night and then the rain. If it's at least going to rain, make it warm enough for 50. Hard pass on 38 and heavy rain. :thumbsdown:

Now that HighTechEE brought us to page 2 in this thread it's time for an observation.

Just took a peek at last year's LTW thread and we were 8 pages in at this point.   It's gotta be more than just the lack of prospective winter wx....but not sure what it is.  Maybe political fatigue?    I think today I've posted more than I have in the last few months combined.    

Archived