• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
California (and west coast)

CaWx

I think the one missing ingredient was probably stronger winds aloft, they were fairly tame and this seemed to confine the stronger gusts to the outer coast and the core of the wind tunnel out of Puget Sound. When the gradient became more southwest, this seemed to kill off the gusty winds as that direction is blocked out by terrain in many places. The Juan de Fuca inflow was relatively weak and never troubled Victoria, and the Puget Sound S-SE flow was cut away by the calm eddy that formed at the confluence. That's how I saw it post-mortem. It was probably a fairly strong storm in parts of the Sunshine coast, they had more power outages. 

Hoping this won't lead to over-complacency if another storm is flagged in advance because generally speaking the forecasters call these things within 10 knots of reality most times. I suspect we will get a few strong windstorms this season too, the signs are there for a rather zonal pattern persisting. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2016 at 3:51 PM, Quixotic1 said:

So, may be heading to Seattle.  Any places close by that get more snow than others?  It sounds psychotic but after price and schools this is a selection criteria.

Someone who lives in the area could give advice better than me, but I'd suggest going inland to a place like Redmond or Snoqualmie. They seem a degree or two colder in winter and a bit snowier. Going north to a place like Everett may work as well.

5 hours ago, lookingnorth said:

Someone who lives in the area could give advice better than me, but I'd suggest going inland to a place like Redmond or Snoqualmie. They seem a degree or two colder in winter and a bit snowier. Going north to a place like Everett may work as well.

Thanks for the tip.  Will check them out.  Was looking at Newcastle.  Averages 7" which is 3" more than the city.  One bizarre thing is that even though Seattle averages about 4" a year, their record is 68".  Wow.

On 11/23/2016 at 0:51 PM, Quixotic1 said:

So, may be heading to Seattle.  Any places close by that get more snow than others?  It sounds psychotic but after price and schools this is a selection criteria.

Come visit Central OR. 500" of snow in the mountains.  Beautiful seasons.  Pretty dry in town but tons of different climates near by .  Way more affordable than Seattle.  

http://www.visitbend.com/     http://www.eyeonbend.com/ 

3 hours ago, snownut said:

Come visit Central OR. 500" of snow in the mountains.  Beautiful seasons.  Pretty dry in town but tons of different climates near by .  Way more affordable than Seattle.  

http://www.visitbend.com/     http://www.eyeonbend.com/ 

I was just up in Hood River this week. I was wondering what Mt Hood was getting.

id love to live in a place like you're suggesting but my wife and I are city folks.  I could handle living in a small town but I know she couldn't.  

Our second option is Portland with Denver a distant third.  

Ever been to Tahoe City?  They measure in feet seasonally, but nothing like what you're talking about.  

14 hours ago, Quixotic1 said:

I was just up in Hood River this week. I was wondering what Mt Hood was getting.

id love to live in a place like you're suggesting but my wife and I are city folks.  I could handle living in a small town but I know she couldn't.  

Our second option is Portland with Denver a distant third.  

Ever been to Tahoe City?  They measure in feet seasonally, but nothing like what you're talking about.  

I understand the isolated small town stuff. It works for me as I can do day or weekend trips to Portland and can fly out of Redmond airport which is so convenient. 

Lots of snow in the Cascades ( including Mt Hood ) the next 24-36 hours.  1 or 2 feet is likely.  Where to you live in TX ?  Too hot there for me. ;) 

Powder skiing here for sure the next few weeks... Love it !! 

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PORTLAND OR
126 PM PST FRI DEC 2 2016

ORZ011-013-WAZ019-032300-
NORTHERN OREGON CASCADES-CASCADES IN LANE COUNTY-
SOUTH WASHINGTON CASCADES-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GOVERNMENT CAMP...DETROIT...
SANTIAM PASS...MCKENZIE PASS...MCKENZIE BRIDGE...OAKRIDGE...
WILLAMETTE PASS...COLDWATER RIDGE VISITORS CENTER...
MOUNT ST. HELENS...WIND RIVER VALLEY

126 PM PST FRI DEC 2 2016

...SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATING SNOWS COMING TO THE SOUTH WASHINGTON
AND NORTH AND CENTRAL OREGON CASCADES SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY...

A POTENT MOIST BUT RELATIVELY COOL WEATHER SYSTEM WILL BE MOVING
INTO SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON AND NORTHWEST OREGON SATURDAY NIGHT AND
CONTINUING THROUGH SUNDAY...WITH SIGNIFICANT SNOWS IN THE SOUTH
WASHINGTON AND NORTH AND CENTRAL OREGON CASCADES.

SNOW AMOUNTS COULD REACH 8 TO 15 INCHES AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS SUCH
AS AT TIMBERLINE SKI RESORT AND AT MOUNT HOOD MEADOWS. AMOUNTS AT
THE PASSES THROUGH THE CASCADES COULD REACH 4 TO 8 INCHES.

THE PERIOD OF THE HEAVIEST SNOW IN THE SOUTH WASHINGTON CASCADES
WILL BE FROM MIDNIGHT SATURDAY NIGHT UNTIL NOON SUNDAY. THE PERIOD
OF THE HEAVIEST SNOW IN THE NORTH AND CENTRAL OREGON CASCADES WILL
BE ON SUNDAY.

EXPECT ROADS IN THE CASCADES TO BE SNOW COVERED AND ICY...CREATING
DIFFICULT DRIVING CONDITIONS. BE SURE TO CARRY CHAINS AS WELL AS
EXTRA PROVISIONS SHOULD YOU TRAVEL THROUGH THE CASCADES THIS
WEEKEND.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello...just moved to Sacramento from Mass. In August. I often lurked and posted over in the New England regional forum, as I  loved the volatile weather there, especially the Nor'Easters in the winter and along with the clippers, and other ways we would get pounded with snow. I was depressed on having to leave there ( Woburn, Mass - wife's job ) because of the loss of true winter weather, which I've always loved. But it turns out, that I'm liking the cool rains that Sacramento gets, and I'm pleasantly surprised that it gets this chilly at night in Sacramento. 

I'm amazed at how cold and snowy Truckee can get considering that I'm only an hour and a half from there. 

Having said all of this, my question is, what mechanism is responsible for making it difficult for Sacramento to experience anything colder than highs in the upper 40s, when just an hour and a half away in Truckee it can be so cold? I mean, is it possible, or rare for it to stay in the 30s during the day in Sacramento? If not, why is this so hard? 

On 12/26/2016 at 11:47 PM, Randy4Confluence said:

Hello...just moved to Sacramento from Mass. In August. I often lurked and posted over in the New England regional forum, as I  loved the volatile weather there, especially the Nor'Easters in the winter and along with the clippers, and other ways we would get pounded with snow. I was depressed on having to leave there ( Woburn, Mass - wife's job ) because of the loss of true winter weather, which I've always loved. But it turns out, that I'm liking the cool rains that Sacramento gets, and I'm pleasantly surprised that it gets this chilly at night in Sacramento. 

I'm amazed at how cold and snowy Truckee can get considering that I'm only an hour and a half from there. 

Having said all of this, my question is, what mechanism is responsible for making it difficult for Sacramento to experience anything colder than highs in the upper 40s, when just an hour and a half away in Truckee it can be so cold? I mean, is it possible, or rare for it to stay in the 30s during the day in Sacramento? If not, why is this so hard? 

My guess is the Sierras block the cold. And mild air comes from the Pacific.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I work for a company on the east coast that forecasts for CA. I was wondering if this was the only thread for CA/West Coast? Seems like a populated enough area where there would be a good amount of discussion during anomalous wx events (like what we've seen the past two weeks). 

Thanks!

There has been up to a 4-class improvement in the U.S. Drought Monitor analysis in 8 weeks in the Sierra Nevada and near Oakland. Otherwise, there has been a 2-class drought improvement near Salt Lake City. I saw a couple of pictures on twitter from the high mountains. There was 3 to 4 ft of snow on somebody's roof. Tahoe area residents are using #JanuBURIED as a hashtag for this overall event. Otherwise a search for #cawx on twitter can help you find great pictures of snow. News station KTLA (Los Angeles?)

http://ktla.com/2017/01/23/mammoth-mountain-reports-january-is-already-its-snowiest-month-in-recorded-history/

n9oAaFJ.png

On 1/26/2017 at 1:23 PM, Chinook said:

There has been up to a 4-class improvement in the U.S. Drought Monitor analysis in 8 weeks in the Sierra Nevada and near Oakland. Otherwise, there has been a 2-class drought improvement near Salt Lake City. I saw a couple of pictures on twitter from the high mountains. There was 3 to 4 ft of snow on somebody's roof. Tahoe area residents are using #JanuBURIED as a hashtag for this overall event. Otherwise a search for #cawx on twitter can help you find great pictures of snow. News station KTLA (Los Angeles?)

http://ktla.com/2017/01/23/mammoth-mountain-reports-january-is-already-its-snowiest-month-in-recorded-history/

n9oAaFJ.png

3 to 4 feet is a serious understatement :) This was Alpine Meadows on Thursday.

IMG_20170126_57700.jpg

IMG_20170126_2550.jpg

Archived