SnowHabit
October Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mattie g said:

80/55 is great any time of year.

Especially for our Oktoberfest party! We usually do it in early October so we lucked out. Our pumpkin brew and a buddy's Oktoberfest brew are on tap. Both are good but our pumpkin is still not where I want it. I am finally realizing what's missing and that I need to learn how to do bourbon aging. :)

I know most everyone in here is into football this time of year, but GO INDIANS!!  I cannot believe they're up 3 games to 1 right now, and have a chance to notch a 2nd sports championship for the 'Land this year.  Having suffered through the drive, the fumble, the (Jordan) shot at the buzzer, the (Mesa) blown save in the 9th inning of Game 7,...etc., netting two championships would be great.  Of course, still long from over until they actually get that 4th win...being from Cleveland originally, I've never lost that "waiting for the other shoe to drop" feeling of dread.  But I never would have though that Cleveland would win 2 games at Wrigley Field and be on the brink like this against a high-powered Cubs team.

Maybe the pathetic Browns are the sacrifice this year for the city to get the NBA and World Series championships (or maybe it's Jobu!)...I'll take it! :D

22 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Especially for our Oktoberfest party! We usually do it in early October so we lucked out. Our pumpkin brew and a buddy's Oktoberfest brew are on tap. Both are good but our pumpkin is still not where I want it. I am finally realizing what's missing and that I need to learn how to do bourbon aging. :)

How'd it go?

We had our own party yesterday - brown ale was among many commercial beers we had. Went over quite well!

Brewing a NE IPA right now. Five-gallon batch with 16 oz of hops from 10 minutes to dry hop!

10 minutes ago, mattie g said:

How'd it go?

We had our own party yesterday - brown ale was among many commercial beers we had. Went over quite well!

Brewing a NE IPA right now. Five-gallon batch with 16 oz of hops from 10 minutes to dry hop!

The party went great! Our pumpkin brew was a big hit and was gone pretty early. I'm thinking of brewing it again because I wanted a pumpkin beer through Thanksgiving, but I probably won't be able to brew for two weeks, which means it'll be Thanksgiving before it's ready.  I still might do it though because I want to do some bourbon soaked oak chips in it. Also need to find a recipe for a winter brew.

Yesterday was a perfect day for a party and glad to hear yours went well. More importantly, how can I get a get growler of what your brewing?!? ;)

20 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

The party went great! Our pumpkin brew was a big hit and was gone pretty early. I'm thinking of brewing it again because I wanted a pumpkin beer through Thanksgiving, but I probably won't be able to brew for two weeks, which means it'll be Thanksgiving before it's ready.  I still might do it though because I want to do some bourbon soaked oak chips in it. Also need to find a recipe for a winter brew.

Yesterday was a perfect day for a party and glad to hear yours went well. More importantly, how can I get a get growler of what your brewing?!? ;)

Awesome. Glad to hear it worked out!

You're a braver man than I with regards to pumpkin beers. I guess I kind of get pumpkined out after a week or two of putting them away, but if others like it then I suppose more of it fills their bellies than your own. But that's a good sign that you're brewing good beers!

Man...if I had my kegging setup squared away, I'd gladly be giving out growler fills. I'm being really anal about getting the perfect kegerator fridge from craigslist. Then I have to build it! I'm sure it would be much better to turn around fresh in a keg, but I can only bottle condition right now. Even so, I have some friends who are in line for a few bottles of the stuff, and I'd gladly provide a few to anyone else since it's got to be drunk fresh anyways!

I just got a request from a buddy in CT who wants a keg of my brown ale. He's going to bring an empty in December and exchange it for a full one. I'm happy to do it - just need to get permission from the little lady to take (another) four hours out of a weekend to brew for someone else. :lol:

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:58 AM, mappy said:

The game is making me want to drink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a Bengals fan. That game was peak Marvin Lewis. Given that Gruden was his assistant, that was double peak Marvin Lewis. Teams both did enough stupid things to fill a whole arena of stupid things.

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I am a Bengals fan. That game was peak Marvin Lewis. Given that Gruden was his assistant, that was double peak Marvin Lewis. Teams both did enough stupid things to fill a whole arena of stupid things.

hahaha, yes. there was a lot of stupid to go around for sure. 

• H2O unpinned this topic
20 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I have Carr and Cooper on my team.  :)

Good week for you, then.

15 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Celebrating Halloween by drinking some pumpkin beer. Schlafly Pumpkin Ale is a good one. Enjoying one now.

One of my favs is Big Lizz from RAR in Cambridge. Have to find it on tap tho. Its brewed with locally grown butternut squash.

I like Schlafly too.  Have you tried Pumking from Southern Tier?  That's my personal fav pumpkin brew.   I tried Blue Moon's pumpkin ale this year, and I like that one too, especially at the grocery store price-point.

26 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Good week for you, then.

I like Schlafly too.  Have you tried Pumking from Southern Tier?  That's my personal fav pumpkin brew.   I tried Blue Moon's pumpkin ale this year, and I like that one too, especially at the grocery store price-point.

I enjoyed the Pumking last year. For some reason now I find it overly spiced. Too much like pumpkin pie. It almost reminds me of drinking a flavored vodka. Try Flying Dog "The Fear". Its an Imperial Pumpkin ale, a bit more hoppy than most, but very good.

Archived