joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Matthew

Sophisticated Skeptic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seen over in MA thread that Glenn went east this afternoon, regardless the boring weather breaker looks almost DOA for us. Funny I had figured Tuesday evening or Wednesday before there was clarification on the track. 

Excellent tuneup for all the winter screw jobs starting in a couple months 

6 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Kathy Orr - "Cold front out west will push Matthew East off the coast and well offshore and out-to-sea". Wow, she said that with almost total certainty and confidence. Guess the boring weather will continue for our area?

Glenn pretty much said the same at 5-6pm...they seem to copy each other.

15 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Glenn pretty much said the same at 5-6pm...they seem to copy each other.

It's pretty ridiculous their waffling...

at 11am glen was getting ready to dump his shorts and 4 short hours later ready to don his swim trunks....

it may work out that way but still WAY too early to know the final outcome at this point with this complex setup!

I much preferred 6's call by showing very clearly the options on the table without making an actual "call"!

WOW GFS more than a thousand miles different from 12z :lol: CRAZY 

Hey if the trough is a little deeper day 10 it might pick it up on the second Florida pass and bring heavy flooding rains to..........ok never mind

In other news first snow chance to the northern burbs at 324hrs no no no we don't want that some really good fun from tonight's run 

Latest GFS has the remnants of Matthew near Cancun Mexico day 10. In 24 hrs it went from near the north pole to a tropical paradise nice job GFS Matthew will be happy taking the vacation. Couldn't make this stuff up. Confidence with GFS and upcoming winter storms is in the toilet.

So, the GFS went the way of the Euro.  They were fairly similar at 0Z.  The GFS made another dramatic change 12 hours later.  Wonder what the Euro will do.  It's like a game of 'pick a number'.  GEM and HWRF still up the coast.  Forecasters may be taking another trip to the hall of shame with this one.  

7 minutes ago, BBasile said:

So, the GFS went the way of the Euro.  They were fairly similar at 0Z.  The GFS made another dramatic change 12 hours later.  Wonder what the Euro will do.  It's like a game of 'pick a number'.  GEM and HWRF still up the coast.  Forecasters may be taking another trip to the hall of shame with this one.  

Only up to the Carolinas and then scoots out

11 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Indirectly it's kinda funny (not really) but Florida could get nail twice by this thing doing a loop. Meanwhile we're hoping to get in on some action and it doesn't want any parts of us...

It's that big 'ole high up over Maine and eastern Canada that is suppressing it.  We saw that happen with some of the potential winter coastals that got suppressed to the south sending the storms OTS.   I saw a post on a non-weather forum that alerted me to Hurricane Nicole's formation and her proximity to Matthew, with them speculating that she would essentially block Matthew from moving east and continuing the loop dee loop... So perhaps something else to watch.

1 minute ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

It's that big 'ole high up over Maine and eastern Canada that is suppressing it.  We saw that happen with some of the potential winter coastals that got suppressed to the south sending the storms OTS.   I saw a post on a non-weather forum that alerted me to Hurricane Nicole's formation and her proximity to Matthew, with them speculating that she would essentially block Matthew from moving east and continuing the loop dee loop... So perhaps something else to watch.

If so, the final plot map of this thing will be crazy...at least it something to track/watch.

6 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Epic flooding in the Carolina's and now Virginia. Matthew's moisture looks like it's running up against a giant atmospheric squeegee as the front approaches. 

No doubt awful flooding they will make a run at 30"+ ...rain coming down at a 6" of rain an hour 18z gfs from yesterday was right Mathew the center is barely moving...the front will squeeze it all out like Floydd in 1999.

4 hours ago, RedSky said:

How on Earth did Matthew get so far north??? Heavy rain making it to Dover Delaware WOW all models wrong.

Looks like it's not looping and will just going NE out to sea which brought it closer. Del/SNJ getting a pretty good rain event with some gusty winds.

And we got exactly 0.00" of rain from the cold front/Matthew interaction. I watched the radar yesterday morning, and there was a decent slug of moisture out in central/western PA that just got eaten alive as it moved eastward. I'm not complaining (other than my grandson's fall baseball game being cancelled for nothing) but posting in amazement of how the "event" played out yesterday in my backyard.

Archived