SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Matthew

Sophisticated Skeptic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real nice popcorn and chip run. Feet of rain with National guard called in for good measure. Then no anomalous cold shot follows that will trigger flakes and ruin winter. Win win.

Something tells me the unexpected Cat 5 strength is going to butterfly effect the heck out of the future tracks with the models.

Just now, RedSky said:

GFS wind map for this storm when it hits our area posted in NYC thread is real freaking unbelievable :o yeah let's not have that, power out for a month would blow.

I noticed.  925's look good too.  I posted this there as well

40 knot onshore winds start kicking up near the coast , even when it's still down by S.C.
  (925mb)  even this is probably underdone, considering no models are acknowledging it's current intensity -

M9kAHI.gif

and as it nears the area -

1Wr71T.gif

Ugh, after several days of rain and overcast, not great drying conditions during the week, and potential soaking and TS level winds... maybe I should break down and buy a generator.  Could be widespread power outages since trees still have a good amount of their leaves.

Thinking this will be a hit. To be honest the east coast is due. Hopefully, a spread out/glancing landfall will limit the severe damage. I saw on Al Roker on NBC at 2:00 pm with a map showing a southern south carolina direct hit on the EURO at cat 3. GFS takes the storm to the southern outer banks at cat 2. ... then again he also called the GFS the U.S.A model....

Looks like there is essentially two scenarios with this

A) system tracks NE after the Carolinas and effects are minimal for our area, basically just some enhanced frontal rains of 1-2" 

B ) Significant flooding threat like Hazel or Floyd. Not the wind effects like from Hazel because that storm crossed central PA. Floyd tracked right over us or close to the east if I remember right, but a track close to the coast could cause a similar heavy rain scenario.

Climate norms favor A

48 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Looks like there is essentially two scenarios with this

A) system tracks NE after the Carolinas and effects are minimal for our area, basically just some enhanced frontal rains of 1-2" 

B ) Significant flooding threat like Hazel or Floyd. Not the wind effects like from Hazel because that storm crossed central PA. Floyd tracked right over us or close to the east if I remember right, but a track close to the coast could cause a similar heavy rain scenario.

Climate norms favor A

OR option c , it doesn't landfall anywhere and gives us nothing.

Archived