Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2016-2017

Mallow

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, phil882 said:

No go... 11kt will be final per climo. So close... Congrats on your 2nd place Cat 2 trophy though Mallow!

On to Reno, NV!

Thanks! That's definitely too bad, though. It seemed like they had a good shot with several 11kt obs during the afternoon and several 10kts obs overnight.

On 11/5/2016 at 0:58 PM, Mallow said:

Thanks! That's definitely too bad, though. It seemed like they had a good shot with several 11kt obs during the afternoon and several 10kts obs overnight.

I was just informed that since they issue trophies for the lowest two scores, and since there was a 3-way tie for first, I will end up getting a trophy for being the second lowest score (although technically I am in 4th alone). So yay! 

2 hours ago, phil882 said:

I was just informed that since they issue trophies for the lowest two scores, and since there was a 3-way tie for first, I will end up getting a trophy for being the second lowest score (although technically I am in 4th alone). So yay! 

Ah, I wasn't actually sure how that worked. Glad to know that it'll work out for ya! And since it was my "bad" forecast on the wind that made that three-way tie possible, you're welcome! Haha, just kidding, of course. ;)

74/35/7

Taking a risk on the low but I think they have a shot so long as SW winds don't ruin it. Too high most likely with the high. I assumed they would mix out to 650 when I made my forecast at 12:30 PM but that didn't happen and I don't see a reason for it to happen tomorrow so I'll be probably 2-3 degrees too high I'd imagine.

2 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

72/38/7/0  for day 1.....I'm confused.   The climo report says that 38 was the low at 6:08 am.  But when you look at the http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=rev&sid=KRNO&num=72&raw=0 from the NWS webpage the temperature reading at 6:00 am and 6:05 am was 37.  

Not sure might be a typo 

6 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Thats what I had thought it was. That at those 5min marks it just happened to be 37 for two consecutive 5 min obs

Yup.  Learn something new every day.

Pretty boring city so far.  My forecast for tomorrow is identical as today's I think.  Maybe next week will be more interesting.

1 minute ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Someone from my alma mater did have a perfect forecast yesterday along with 2 other people. 

Yea they dont really express the info from FMH-1 or 7900.5B which are two of the books we use, unless I gazed over it. I had a feeling since the ASOS does take minute by minute obs that it would have had to been over half the time at a a certain temp. Cool to know for the future, but I believe it might happen again today not with the same person but with the same pattern it wouldnt be hard to see how someone could go 0 for both days.

Archived