joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2016-2017

Mallow

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, this place has been an unmitigated disaster for me so far. I have no idea how I'm like two SD below consensus but whatever.

82/41/20

Given what happened with the low last night, felt it would be prudent to take a shot at another cold low with clear skies and relatively calm winds. However, worried about the high clouds streaming in from the north but hoping the ridge will build in an allow them to clear. Also went above guidance for the high with strong SW flow and mostly sunny skies tomorrow. Should be a big diurnal swing with the rapidly warming air mass. NAM BUFKIT  shows 850s approaching 20C! I tried to switch my high to 83 but I was late by two seconds. BUFKIT showed winds in the 18-20 kt range in the BL so going with the USL again.

83/46/21/0

HRRR actually had a decent handle yesterday (IIRC around a 44/45 low), and I'm fairly confident that it will be warmer. Tomorrow should mix down temperatures about 4-5C warmer than today, so reasonable assumption they'll hit at least low 80s. Hopefully the low actually cooperates today. 

31 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Well, this place has been an unmitigated disaster for me so far. I have no idea how I'm like two SD below consensus but whatever.

82/41/20

Given what happened with the low last night, felt it would be prudent to take a shot at another cold low with clear skies and relatively calm winds. However, worried about the high clouds streaming in from the north but hoping the ridge will build in an allow them to clear. Also went above guidance for the high with strong SW flow and mostly sunny skies tomorrow. Should be a big diurnal swing with the rapidly warming air mass. NAM BUFKIT  shows 850s approaching 20C! I tried to switch my high to 83 but I was late by two seconds. BUFKIT showed winds in the 18-20 kt range in the BL so going with the USL again.

Ugh, I got so absorbed in the models I didn't even check the satellite. I'm now quite worried about those high clouds.

11 hours ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Yeah, it makes me worried MOS is going to be correct with 44-46. :(

11 hours ago, AppsRunner said:

83/46/21/0

HRRR actually had a decent handle yesterday (IIRC around a 44/45 low), and I'm fairly confident that it will be warmer. Tomorrow should mix down temperatures about 4-5C warmer than today, so reasonable assumption they'll hit at least low 80s. Hopefully the low actually cooperates today. 

Good call on the low!

87/58/17

It was nice to see the high got into the low 80s but I was disappointed that the wind was only 17 kts. I basically went all in for tomorrow with a warm high/low in hopes of gaining the spots I lost today. If it doesn't pan out I'll be buried heading into week 2. Risked them mixing 21.5C 850s despite the NAM showing a pretty shallow mixed layer that only extended to maybe 885 mb or so. The profile also showed high clouds but I didn't feel too worried about them since they didn't seem to have much of an effect today. Also hoping southerlies will keep the temps. up tonight but so far that doesn't look too good. Went under the USL for wind since today's winds didn't pan out and with a similar setup I figured winds should be identical to today.

29 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

87/58/17

It was nice to see the high got into the low 80s but I was disappointed that the wind was only 17 kts. I basically went all in for tomorrow with a warm high/low in hopes of gaining the spots I lost today. If it doesn't pan out I'll be buried heading into week 2. Risked them mixing 21.5C 850s despite the NAM showing a pretty shallow mixed layer that only extended to maybe 885 mb or so. The profile also showed high clouds but I didn't feel too worried about them since they didn't seem to have much of an effect today. Also hoping southerlies will keep the temps. up tonight but so far that doesn't look too good. Went under the USL for wind since today's winds didn't pan out and with a similar setup I figured winds should be identical to today.

Lots of clouds coming in soon according to satellite imagery. Add in those winds, and that should hopefully keep the low up there.

Archived