12z GFS Fantasy Range, hy brid storm brings feet of rain to SNE

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Matthew will have no problem surviving the mountains of eastern Cuba and Haiti

He meant the buoy.

Wind Direction (WDIR): NE ( 50 deg true )
5-day plot - Wind Speed Wind Speed (WSPD): 46.6 kts
5-day plot - Wind Gust Wind Gust (GST): 56.3 kts
5-day plot - Wave Height Wave Height (WVHT): 27.6 ft
5-day plot - Dominant Wave Period Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 10 sec
5-day plot - Average Period Average Period (APD): 8.6 sec
5-day plot - Mean Wave Direction Mean Wave Direction (MWD): ENE ( 63 deg true )
5-day plot - Atmospheric Pressure Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.30 in
5-day plot - Pressure Tendency Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.18 in ( Falling Rapidly )
5-day plot - Air Temperature Air Temperature (ATMP): 77.0 °F
5-day plot - Water Temperature Water Temperature (WTMP): 83.3 °F
5-day plot - Dew Point Dew Point (DEWP): 77.0 °F
5-day plot - Wind Speed at 10 Meters Wind Speed at 10 meters (WSPD10M): 50.5 kts
5-day plot - Wind Speed at 10 Meters Wind Speed at 20 meters (WSPD20M): 52.4 kts

26 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

they weren't talking about this thread per se Tip, but in the past.

Well... whether they were or not - some friendly advice:  you can't promote yourself in here.  the repeat users .. it never sets well with them...

people are douchy. not just in here, in general, in life...society, the world, Humanity.  there is uneven and iniquitous distribution recognition overall.  certainly 'celebrity' is petty handled. every action and reaction between members of our species (haha, but seriously..) contains instances of erosive unfairness, or unwarranted adoration ... integrated overall and sometimes eclat ends up with no credit at all, while idiots dictate the shining of the sun. 

that said, i am not personally aware of any reasons you may deserve accolades for forecasting.  even if so, ... it doesn't matter?  seriously it doesn't.  you could predict the end of the world; you aren't getting invited to the white house because of your contribution in here.   

3 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

On the visible GOES loop, it appears as though that blob of convection that's been on the far east side may be getting entrained now in the outer circulation.

Definitely not as pronounced as it has been the last few days. The outflow channels are looking really nice now too. Perhaps we'll see an expanding wind field later this evening.

1 hour ago, PeabodyFlood said:

If we really want Matthew to make its way up here then we need coastal to deliver the timeless "not happening, James." 

Getting close, but still a lot of time. Given the hype I'm dealing with already....I'm hoping it does and leaves me along for Columbus Day weekend.

Guys,  take a look at this latest vis. image.  The tropical disturbance NE of the Lesser Antilles looks like its starting to get that "spin" look.  Moving NW.  If that starts getting its act together more than the models are indicating won't that really pull Matthew further NE once it gets up into the Bahamas?  I wonder if this is a larger wildcard that we might be missing?

spin.jpg

22 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Well... whether they were or not - some friendly advice:  you can't promote yourself in here.  the repeat users .. it never sets well with them...

people are douchy. not just in here, in general, in life...society, the world, Humanity.  there is uneven and iniquitous distribution recognition overall.  certainly 'celebrity' is petty handled. every action and reaction between members of our species (haha, but seriously..) contains instances of erosive unfairness, or unwarranted adoration ... integrated overall and sometimes eclat ends up with no credit at all, while idiots dictate the shining of the sun. 

that said, i am not personally aware of any reasons you may deserve accolades for forecasting.  even if so, ... it doesn't matter?  seriously it doesn't.  you could predict the end of the world; you aren't getting invited to the white house because of your contribution in here.   

Can we get on topic please?

6 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Better off just leaving this thing alone for a day or two and then looking again, too many complexities.  

agreed!   ... wait to over hear it at the water cooler by loiters that just happened to catch 'wind' of it on the radio on the way to the office - then you go back to your desk and sneak a peek and there's a hurricane watch all the way up to the Islands ... or NS. 

or not - but save ur selves the aggravation -

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Better off just leaving this thing alone for a day or two and then looking again, too many complexities.  

Heck no, we could be witnessing some history here whereby the models and the NHC haven't been able to pin this one down from day one through day eight now, including the timing, not that anyone expects that of them given the nature of TCs. 

7 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Guys,  take a look at this latest vis. image.  The tropical disturbance NE of the Lesser Antilles looks like its starting to get that "spin" look.  Moving NW.  If that starts getting its act together more than the models are indicating won't that really pull Matthew further NE once it gets up into the Bahamas?  I wonder if this is a larger wildcard that we might be missing?

among the myeriad of plausible influences on Matt's track .. sure, one in a large number. 

in fact, go look at the CMC evolution - it actually uses that feature to carve out a hole in the ridge N of Bermuda and uses that weakness to pull Matt early..

NHC has an invest on that and have upgraded it to 30%chance for development 

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Getting close, but still a lot of time. Given the hype I'm dealing with already....I'm hoping it does and leaves me along for Columbus Day weekend.

Oh I strongly agree, worth watching but up in the air as far as any EC impacts go. It won't take much to push the hype machine into overdrive as we get closer. It's been hard enough to talk with friends about some of these model solutions while reminding them that "well, none of this really means anything up here yet." 

seein' as we've all wasted (some more than others..) our time on this thing, let's play a game... 

i bet i know the next 2 GFS operational model cycles... The 18z will come all the way back and imply national guard hysteria;  00z, gone again...  

who's with me!

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

seein' as we've all wasted (some more than others..) our time on this thing, let's play a game... 

i bet i know the next 2 GFS operational model cycles... The 18z will come all the way back and imply national guard hysteria;  00z, gone again...  

who's with me!

Sure, why not. I wouldn't call this a waste of time though. What else would we be doing? Discussing acorn falls and drought indices? Even if Matt goes out to sea, this is a great exercise in meteorology, and for relative neophytes, a fine learning experience as well.

GYX managed to appeal to PF and Ginx in their commentary about Matthew:

The GFS has a deeper, sharper trough which picks up Hurricane
Matthew and sends it northward. The moisture from Matthew gets
dragged northward ahead of the front within the upper trough axis,
dropping several inches of rain over New England while keeping the
circulation associated with the storm itself well offshore. As the
storm curves northward into the Canadian Maritimes, northwesterly
gales drag in enough cold air for upslope snow showers in the
mountains.

Based on the motion from the GOES images, the current NHC track looks to be too northward.  It is still moving NW and shows no sign of turning due N.  The NHC doesn't show it getting west of 75W until Wednesday.  It's already at 74.8W.  In fact, sat. shows it west of the W edge of Haiti now, and they have it crossing there Monday night.

18 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Sure, why not. I wouldn't call this a waste of time though. What else would we be doing? Discussing acorn falls and drought indices? Even if Matt goes out to sea, this is a great exercise in meteorology, and for relative neophytes, a fine learning experience as well.

i don't really think so either - it was tongue in cheek ... think commiseration? 

like no matter what we do, this is all being done TO us -

20 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Based on the motion from the GOES images, the current NHC track looks to be too northward.  It is still moving NW and shows no sign of turning due N.  The NHC doesn't show it getting west of 75W until Wednesday.  It's already at 74.8W.  In fact, sat. shows it west of the W edge of Haiti now, and they have it crossing there Monday night.

looks to be at 75w now.. 

21 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

looks to be at 75w now.. 

Should be fun taking a trip, not really a trip but short drive to Daytona Beach when Matthew gets to that LAT. The ocean is going to be in a frenzy. One thing I noticed is the shelf is extremely shallow. Hotels, buildings, million dollar homes built 10-100ft from surfs edge. Should be great for a few snapshots regardless, might not even be able to get to the Inter-coastal but that's the plan "if" the track continues off-shore. A continued NW track I'll stay home and let him come to me. I'm at approx: 29N 81W. 

1 hour ago, 78Blizzard said:

Heck no, we could be witnessing some history here whereby the models and the NHC haven't been able to pin this one down from day one through day eight now, including the timing, not that anyone expects that of them given the nature of TCs. 

that's true at all times ... period though

1 minute ago, 78Blizzard said:

Something bothering you tonight?

no... i just don't like cheesyiness at any level...  you answered back to Nick with none-sense to validate involvement in this thread/topic 

but i say don't feel guilty in the first place - who cares what they say - 

Archived