Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chambana said:

A new record of 81 was set today in Champaign/Urbana, breaking the old record of 80 set back in 2004. Tuesday and Wednesday potential record breakers too. 

This is just unreal.  Relentless warmth this season.  Great to be outside in, but the weather pattern is awful for interesting weather.  Hit 76 earlier.  

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

This is just unreal.  Relentless warmth this season.  Great to be outside in, but the weather pattern is awful for interesting weather.  Hit 76 earlier.  

Yes this warmth has been incredible to say the least. What's even more striking is the landscape is still hanging on to this late summer/early fall look (minus leaf color) lush greens, including yards, not to mention trees just do not want to shed their leaves this year. Waiting for someone to use that folklore to predict a harsh winter... 

Anyway crazy warm fall, and October has been zzzz city. We need a wound up cutter to shake this pattern. 

12 hours ago, Natester said:

What would be really interesting is if we get a repeat of November 2014, aka when it felt more like mid January than mid November.

That was a pretty exceptional event instigated by the interaction of a recurving super typhoon with the NPAC (and ultimately NoAM) jet, iirc. Not impossible, but it's tough to bank on stuff like that. Plus, even if you did get the perfect setup -- where are you going to draw the cold air from? It's hard to overstate how exceptional the situation is in the Arctic and northern NoAM right now (66N+ is running at or above +6C/11F). Virtually no decent cold pool to draw on and it's almost November. Sea ice is running 500k+ below the previous record. We've got a little ways to go before we can be serious about decent cold.

16 hours ago, csnavywx said:

That was a pretty exceptional event instigated by the interaction of a recurving super typhoon with the NPAC (and ultimately NoAM) jet, iirc. Not impossible, but it's tough to bank on stuff like that. Plus, even if you did get the perfect setup -- where are you going to draw the cold air from? It's hard to overstate how exceptional the situation is in the Arctic and northern NoAM right now (66N+ is running at or above +6C/11F). Virtually no decent cold pool to draw on and it's almost November. Sea ice is running 500k+ below the previous record. We've got a little ways to go before we can be serious about decent cold.

From Japan to Moscow it has been brutal though. The pattern also has a huge trough over the Pacific too. North America has been stuck in this pattern for quite a while.

51 minutes ago, Jonger said:

From Japan to Moscow it has been brutal though. The pattern also has a huge trough over the Pacific too. North America has been stuck in this pattern for quite a while.

Which should be a concern going into winter if all the cold goes into Russia instead of Canada. There won't be a cold source region then, it has been warm across Canada as well as here.

9 hours ago, Jonger said:

Right, this is part of my point. What decent cold pool there was has already been shunted over Asia proper. We need basically a complete 180 in the Pacific and to wait for seasonal cooling to finally overcome the strong anomalies in the far north. We also need the Walker Cell to start restrengthening. If it doesn't, well, we're stuck for a while.

5 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

Right, this is part of my point. What decent cold pool there was has already been shunted over Asia proper. We need basically a complete 180 in the Pacific and to wait for seasonal cooling to finally overcome the strong anomalies in the far north. We also need the Walker Cell to start restrengthening. If it doesn't, well, we're stuck for a while.

It's definitely worrisome, but with another 30 to 45 days before any useful winter weather being possible, I'm still not freaked -- yet.

Halloween was the warmest here locally since 2008 at 68 degrees, Linda shocking actually. Paducah, KY reached 82 yesterday making that their warmest Halloween since 1950. 

Have to number crunch, but October is going to finish anywhere from +6 to +8. Much below average precipitation as well. 

20 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

No generator Bo?

No, and I don't really want one.  I'm prepared for whatever the weather can throw, and it's just me here.  Heck, I ate dinner most of the summer on a campfire in my backyard. I did pick up another sled tho.  A few times last winter I didn't see a plow for 2-3 days, so this Winter I have a plow for my quad and a sled.  Third Winter in the UP.

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

No, and I don't really want one.  I'm prepared for whatever the weather can throw, and it's just me here.  Heck, I ate dinner most of the summer on a campfire in my backyard. I did pick up another sled tho.  A few times last winter I didn't see a plow for 2-3 days, so this Winter I have a plow for my quad and a sled.  Third Winter in the UP.

Ha, not having power is for the birds, I went 3 days during X-Mas last year without power, ain't nobody got time for that. Needless to say I no longer have to worry but can see your point if you are alone makes it a lot easier.  Actually I lost power for a few hours on Saturday but it came back up fairly quickly.  The kids had pretty good Halloween weather this year up this way which is a gift for this time of the year normally. 

Archived