Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Matthew

NWNC2015

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jshetley said:

Yeah we may want wild weather, but hate the results of it. We haven't lost power from any hurricanes, but icestorms get us everytime. Was without power for 4 days after the Carolina Crusher in 2000 and hated every minute of it.

Agreed.  According to the Duke power  map, we'll have our power restored on 10/16. :arrowhead:

Terrible situation in Lumberton, where a levee was breached last night. The water is up to the roofs of buildings and homes. They are trying to rescue people with boats and helicopters off roofs.

Even worse, Robeson county us the poorest in the state and the recovery for folks there will be awful.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, blueheels2 said:

Princeville is under mandatory evacuation and looks like the water is up to the bottom of the bridge between Taroboro and Princeville.

Just left from that bridge. It is closed and the water is about 2-3 feet from the metal beams under the bridge.  Its about the same distance from topping the Princeville dike.  The floodgate on the CSX railroad on the dike is closed.  Parts of east Tarboro are beginning to flood.  

2 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

Terrible situation in Lumberton, where a levee was breached last night. The water is up to the roofs of buildings and homes. They are trying to rescue people with boats and helicopters off roofs.

hey Brick is there a news  station that you would recommend that is following it

Shot of the airport at Greenville the red arrow is the plant I work at, they called today and said its closed till the river crest and drops to the level its at now, which is good since by this time tomorrow no one will be able to get there. During Floyd the water got to the door but not in the plant itself...just about everything in this picture will be under water if it gets to 25-26 ft....the river is at the very bottom of the shot, the power lines are usually not in water....

GVille Mem.jpg

9 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

I think the weather station of Lumberton is flooded or even drowned, so it reports missing data these days.

Well hope everyone fared well in Matthew. We are fine here in Apex, though lost power around 200pm Saturday and got it back today with Internet service.  Lots of tree debris down. On the road behind us, huge oak tree about 80 foot tall ripped out of the creek bed and crashed onto a truck and crushed it. Been bouncing from hotel to hotel that had rooms and took a dog. Good to be back home this evening and get back into the routine. 7.68" from start of Matthew to the end. Pretty incredible. Im just in awe of the flooding going in the Eastern and SE NC. Wow what a mess. To close down two major interstates as well in 40 and 95, it just mind blowing.  This was def one of the record books though

Hope you all fared well

Just an update on southwestern Wayne County.  Total rainfall was between 14-16 inches.  Highest measured gust I have heard of was 65mph.  Currently power is slowly being restored, along with county water service.  Over half of the roads have some damage, some are completely gone.  The flash flooding destroyed the roads and flooded some homes by Saturday night/ Sunday morning.  Now the flash water is gone but the Neuse River is reaching an all time high, but should start coming down soon.  The clown models were correct, the gust after the storm the NWS showed concern about occurred, and water has reached levels Floyd didn't touch.

The flooding with Matthew is incredible. I think it will end up surpassing Floyd in NC as far as damage done. I think it shows that people need to worry about how large the hurricane is and how far out the heavy rain goes out from the center instead of focusing on the exact track and where the eye hits. I think the local media has done a great job covering the aftermath. Not sure about the national media. I think they would care more if it hit a big city instead of mostly rural NC.

The Tar River is nearly to crest hopefully, the city really limited building after Floyd and there are thousands of acres under water that use to be neighborhoods and such that the state and city bought after Floyd and didnt allow it to be built on again....so while its bad its not Floyd bad here, other places especially SW of here, Goldsboro to Fayetteville and Lumberton etc its by far the worst flooding ever seen.....

That said the Tar crest and return to normal will be a slow costly thing for Greenville, the road to my work is under water, I havent worked all week, hopefully we can get back to the plant by Monday.....anything over 22-23ft really shuts down a lot of major roads....most major industry is on the north side of the river so lots of people are not able to get to work etc...unlike Floyd though we all have power, the real thing that put Floyd over the top was the main power relay station going under and putting all of Greenville in the dark for 4-5 days...they moved those to higher ground so even a Floyd like event wouldn't be able to do that....

pgvn7_hg.png

2 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

The flooding with Matthew is incredible. I think it will end up surpassing Floyd in NC as far as damage done. I think it shows that people need to worry about how large the hurricane is and how far out the heavy rain goes out from the center instead of focusing on the exact track and where the eye hits. I think the local media has done a great job covering the aftermath. Not sure about the national media. I think they would care more if it hit a big city instead of mostly rural NC.

It already has surpassed Floyd in terms of damage I believe. TWC said a couple of days ago that early estimates of damage was $10 billion.

Archived