Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Matthew

NWNC2015

11 minutes ago, jshetley said:

We could use a tropical system that would hit the central gulf coast and move up through the mountains to end this drought, but are not going to get one. The GFS says little to no rain in the drought area anytime soon. Of course the Carolinas east of I-77 do not need 1 more drop, but areas west of there really need it.

If we could send you some water, we would.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Duck NC gusted to 84 with a sustained wind in the 60's, locally they are reporting a weather station in Duck there hit 96....people on the sound side of the OBX and south side of the IBX say this is the worse sound side flooding ever.....

My daughters boyfriends family has a house at Ocracoke and they are trying to find someone to send them pictures of their house. They said there is no telling when they will be allowed to go back to the island. Going by the pictures they've seen from a few people of various parts of the island, they said this is the worst flooding they've ever seen.  

16 minutes ago, jshetley said:

We could use a tropical system that would hit the central gulf coast and move up through the mountains to end this drought, but are not going to get one. The GFS says little to no rain in the drought area anytime soon. Of course the Carolinas east of I-77 do not need 1 more drop, but areas west of there really need it.

Yeah, it's turning into the dust bowl here in west central GA.  

4 minutes ago, NicInNC said:

My daughters boyfriends family has a house at Ocracoke and they are trying to find someone to send them pictures of their house. They said there is no telling when they will be allowed to go back to the island. Going by the pictures they've seen from a few people of various parts of the island, they said this is the worst flooding they've ever seen.  

Its sorta rare to get a NNW fetch like that, that last that long and strong, it really blows the water around out there, a lot of people dont understand just how fast it does it either...even smaller parts of the river out there can go up and down 2-3 ft on just 20-30 mph winds much less 40-60....

this is showing a 6 ft surge on the soundside of Hatteras island 

hcgn7_hg.png

This is in Washington NC way up the Pamlico River, you can see it flooded early on the SE and east wind as the water got shoved up the river but then the wind turned and got much worse and blew it completely out....literally blew all the water down the river.....probably only had a few ft of water in Washington, boats would have been sitting in mud on the bottom at the marina there...and you can see above at Hatteras  the reverse so it dropped as that water went up the river on the SE and E wind and then came back in a big way on the north wind

pamn7_hg.png

2 minutes ago, goldsborosnow said:

Heard that they were going to release water from the Rocky Mount reservoir. I'm not sure how to find out if that's true or not.

Here is a recent photo of that area, if they release the dam like they did in Floyd they doom Tarboro and Greenville to Floyd level floods....on the other hand  they cant risk the dam failing cause that would be even worse...

RWI.jpg

Just now, tramadoc said:

The Pasquotank River is above record flood stage seen during Floyd.

IMG_2409.PNG

Rocky Mount is a couple of feet above their record crest during floyd. That water has to come downstream and as downeast said if they release water from the dam then we are big trouble downstream.

Several record crest in area rivers which means in some places this already surpasses floods flooding.

43 minutes ago, NicInNC said:

Check Tradewinds Bait and Tackle on Facebook.......https://www.facebook.com/tradewindstackle/. And follow some of the folks they have linked to.  Old timers saying worst flooding since '45.

29 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Here is a recent photo of that area, if they release the dam like they did in Floyd they doom Tarboro and Greenville to Floyd level floods....on the other hand  they cant risk the dam failing cause that would be even worse...

RWI.jpg

This picture is actually of Nashville, NC. A long way from where the reservoir is. The reservoir is closer to wilson and RWI airport near Jucntion of NC 97 and NC 58. That does not mean what is being said is not true however. If they released water from that reservoir, it would pass through rocky mount at at least 5 locations before ever gerting east of town. 

Just got power back.  Live near Fuquay in southern Wake County, NC.  Power was out for 24 hours.  
Had lots of tree limbs down and the top of a tree snapped off.  Wind was a lot more than what I was expecting.  Massive flooding on roads around here that I had never seen flood in over 30 years of living here.

Per ABC11 NCDOT closing another section of I-95 near Dunn due to dam breach....  I have a daughter basically stranded at Campbell University right now.  And last night saw a post from Pirate Radio on FB that the ECU football team could not make it back to Greenville and they were putting them in different hotels in Roanoke Rapids.   Needless many still got caught off guard by Matthew

From ABC11.... what a traffic nightmare

Due to a breach of the dam at Rhodes Pond, the North Carolina Department of Transportation has shut down Interstate 95 in Dunn, both northbound and southbound lanes, for an unknown amount of time. Traffic from I-95 is being rerouted onto U.S. 421 in Dunn to Lillington, and onto N.C. 401 from Lillington to Fayetteville. Officials said they anticipate a mass influx of traffic through Harnett County due to this reroute. Power is currently out in Lillington, which means traffic lights are also out.

On I-95, exits 17 to 22 near Lumberton in Robeson County, exits 79 to 87 near Benson in Johnston County. exit 100 near Selma in Johnston County, and exits 40 to 55 near Fayetteville in Cumberland County are all blocked.

I-40 is closed at exits 309 to 312 east of Raleigh in Wake County, exits 334 to 341 east of Benson in Johnston County, exits 364 to 367 near Warsaw in Duplin County and exit 406 near Saint Helena in Pender County.

56 minutes ago, gwlee7 said:

This picture is actually of Nashville, NC. A long way from where the reservoir is. The reservoir is closer to wilson and RWI airport near Jucntion of NC 97 and NC 58. That does not mean what is being said is not true however. If they released water from that reservoir, it would pass through rocky mount at at least 5 locations before ever gerting east of town. 

Just saw on the City of Rocky Mount Facebook page that they have no intentions of releasing water from the dam at this time.  I suppose that will help down stream areas out some.

Wow. Things worse than thought as info is gathered today. Saw a few trees down around town. Water is still gushing out of the manhole covers on the street near my house, but less than this morning. Things are much worse south and east of me. I estimate about 9 inches of rain here for the event.

Blessings and best wishes for all souls caught by this hurricane.

30 minutes ago, Jet Stream Rider said:

Have another friend in Raleigh that lost power about 6pm yesterday and it was restored early this morning, so there is hope! Hang in there CR!

We're fortunate to have family nearby that we can stay with.  It really sucks to have to throw all the food in your fridge and freezer out, though.  I hate hate hate wasting food.

18 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

We're fortunate to have family nearby that we can stay with.  It really sucks to have to throw all the food in your fridge and freezer out, though.  I hate hate hate wasting food.

Avdave is still out of power near apex/ holly springs. Many trees on optimist farm rd supposedly?

Wow. Things worse than thought as info is gathered today. Saw a few trees down around town. Water is still gushing out of the manhole covers on the street near my house, but less than this morning. Things are much worse south and east of me. I estimate about 9 inches of rain here for the event.

Blessings and best wishes for all souls caught by this hurricane.

Yes it was, drove around a while today still saw water over a couple bridges (creeks in rural area not in town) and Halifax Co. actually has a curfew from 8pm to 7am.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Chinook said:

Weather Underground tweeted this: " Matthew's parting punch included all-time rain records and flooding in NC and 75-mph gusts in VA. "

What station in Virginia got 75mph wind gusts?

Oceana Naval Air Station in Va Beach 

9 01:56 NE 44 G 75 0.50 Heavy Rain Fog/Mist and Windy

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KNTU.html

City of Greenville and Putt County both enacting curfews tonight.  The one death in the county was about a mile from our house and I think we saw the car involved this morning on our way out.  It was swept away by the same creek that our property backs up to, woman drowned.  Schools are closed and they are evacuating a lot of folks.  I have a couple spill ways that opened up in the back with lots of water flowing in to the yard from the creek, has to be 100's of gallons a minutes, I marked a stake earlier and it is slowly rising, so streams are still above capacity.  The one thing that struck me driving today was how the water was flowing, just everywhere, really crazy, never seen it like that before.

19 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

City of Greenville and Putt County both enacting curfews tonight.  The one death in the county was about a mile from our house and I think we saw the car involved this morning on our way out.  It was swept away by the same creek that our property backs up to, woman drowned.  Schools are closed and they are evacuating a lot of folks.  I have a couple spill ways that opened up in the back with lots of water flowing in to the yard from the creek, has to be 100's of gallons a minutes, I marked a stake earlier and it is slowly rising, so streams are still above capacity.  The one thing that struck me driving today was how the water was flowing, just everywhere, really crazy, never seen it like that before.

You here for Floyd?  The local run off is whats got the river up now then all the upstream stuff gets here in a few days with no where to go....bet the kids wont go to school this week at all no way they run the buses with all the flooded/washed out roads everywhere, hell 4 of the schools are being opened for shelters ( including my sons) and during Floyd they were in the shelters for 10-14 days until the water dropped and they could bring in the FEMA trailers....the upside is we learned a lot from Floyd and I hope they put that to good use. 

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

Yeah we may want wild weather, but hate the results of it. We haven't lost power from any hurricanes, but icestorms get us everytime. Was without power for 4 days after the Carolina Crusher in 2000 and hated every minute of it.

Archived