Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Matthew

NWNC2015

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is really crazy is this is nothing compared to what its gonna be like in 2-3 days, all that water is in the system now and most rivers are going to crest just under or actually above the Floyd level crest which exceeded 500-1000 yr flood plains.....so many reports coming in now around my area of roads washed out etc now that the curfew is over and people are able to get out and find out how bad it is....

A link to Enfield Police Department, a small town in my county with some pictures of a water rescue from a vehicle that washed off the road last night....  this is a scene playing out all over central/eastern NC.   There's a reason authorities use such strong wording to try to keep people off the roads... God bless our first responders!

https://www.facebook.com/Enfield-Police-Department-NC-Chief-Tyree-Davis-596045940553704/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

What is really crazy is this is nothing compared to what its gonna be like in 2-3 days, all that water is in the system now and most rivers are going to crest just under or actually above the Floyd level crest which exceeded 500-1000 yr flood plains.....so many reports coming in now around my area of roads washed out etc now that the curfew is over and people are able to get out and find out how bad it is....

Yeah most of us truly thought Floyd was a once in a lifetime event and to think this could surpass that in areas is incredible.  Watching these live coast guard rescues this morning is amazing....   

Just now, metwannabe said:

Yeah most of us truly thought Floyd was a once in a lifetime event and to think this could surpass that in areas is incredible.  Watching these live coast guard rescues this morning is amazing....   

I work for Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City as a Paramedic/Firefighter on base.

4 minutes ago, metwannabe said:

Yeah there will be dozens of choppers in the air later today and tomorrow as the water comes up, hopefully the lessons learned from Floyd help, the word is out already and we need to get to people today and get them out, much different than 99 when Floyd hit, people didnt expect it and woke up to water in the house etc....they are closing the PGV airport this afternoon for the next week....the runways are expected to go under water its at 25 ft above sea level. 

10 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Yeah there will be dozens of choppers in the air later today and tomorrow as the water comes up, hopefully the lessons learned from Floyd help, the word is out already and we need to get to people today and get them out, much different than 99 when Floyd hit, people didnt expect it and woke up to water in the house etc....they are closing the PGV airport this afternoon for the next week....the runways are expected to go under water its at 25 ft above sea level. 

Absolutely, it goes without saying that there is plenty of water up stream got to head your way, as you say at least they have time to get people out.   That was a very widespread area of 6-10 totals to your west that has to flow east, the images from down there in a day or two are gonna be horrible.  

7 confirmed storm related fatalities in NC now

I am back online. Power went out sometime after I went to bed and came back on at around 7:45 am. A few trees came down but not much damage down this way. Peak wind gust at the airport was 52 mph. My station is showing 43 mph. Total rainfall was 2.88". Winds are still blowing into the high 20's at time and the temp is down to 58.

Wow as reports come in its obvious Greenville is in a bad way reports of many many major roads inside the city are washed out, and while no massive metropolis Greenville isnt a small town either 100k people plus 25k university students....hopefully the ECU kids get out today while they can.....my gauges had 9.5" total for the event but I suspect it was more...no way it was accurate as windy as it was. Gonna take a ride.....will have pics to post later

2 hours ago, tramadoc said:

11.65" of rain by my Acurote rain gauge for the 24 hour period ending at midnight on Saturday. Another 9.63" after midnight to right now equals a grand storm total of 21.28" here in Elizabeth City. The wind is still howling and my neighborhood is still flooded. The Dutch water made it to the steps on the front porch, but blessedly stayed out of the garage and the crawl space.

damn

11 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Wow as reports come in its obvious Greenville is in a bad way reports of many many major roads inside the city are washed out, and while no massive metropolis Greenville isnt a small town either 100k people plus 25k university students....hopefully the ECU kids get out today while they can.....my gauges had 9.5" total for the event but I suspect it was more...no way it was accurate as windy as it was. Gonna take a ride.....will have pics to post later

I am also on the way out, 264 is closed both ways so my options are limited, hopefully Cracker Barrel is open.  Going to attempt 43N and see how far I can get, i will be trundling around if the road is covered, don't plan on ending up on RAL.

This seems like a pretty big lake 

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED FLASH FLOOD WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC 859 AM EDT SUN OCT 9 2016 THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A * FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR... EAST CENTRAL MOORE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA... NORTHEASTERN HOKE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA... NORTHWESTERN CUMBERLAND COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA... * UNTIL 245 PM EDT *

AT 850 AM EDT...EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OFFICIALS REPORT THAT THE WOODLAKE DAM IN SOUTHEASTERN MOORE COUNTY IS AT EXTREME RISK OF FAILURE THIS MORNING. RESIDENTS ALONG CRANE CREEK AND THE LITTLE RIVER ARE BEING NOTIFIED OR EVACUATED. ROADS ALONG CRANE CREEK, INCLUDING NC690 WOULD BE, IF NOT ALREADY, CLOSED. FLOODING IS ALREADY ONGOING ALONG THE LITTLE RIVER, AND FLOODWATER LEVELS WOULD DEEPEN ACROSS NORTHERN CUMBERLAND COUNTY, AFFECTING MANCHESTER ROAD AND BRAGG BOULEVARD.

SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...   FORT BRAGG...POPE AFB AND SPRING LAKE.

Still over 55K outages from SCE&G in Charleston County, and we are one of them. The city has fared better, but not James Island and the other barrier islands. Tree damage is as bad as Floyd was here. There are trees through multiple houses on Harbor View Rd. From uesterday, it didn't look like but a few houses escaped any damage on island.

It is gonna take till Halloween or longer for this clean-up.

2 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

Made it to Tarboro but it was not easy, 258, 42, both impassable , 33 is clear as is 64.  National Guard are out. 42 in to Pinetops is real bad.  Lots of trucks with trailers or towing boats with furniture.

Rocky Mount is forecast to crest a couple feet above their record crest from Floyd. That water has to come down stream and thats why its gonna be bad here. 

SE VA got hit harder than expected, ironically as I was about to post that NHC should get TS warning issued for my area...I lost power. 

Lots of roads are flooded, we got 12-14 inches of rain in the last 22 hours. Local mets say at the peak winds were 45 mph sustained and gusts near 60.

PWS Cape Henry which is the northernmost point in Va Beach had impressive 62 mph winds and 73 mph gusts 

12 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

Made it to Tarboro but it was not easy, 258, 42, both impassable , 33 is clear as is 64.  National Guard are out. 42 in to Pinetops is real bad.  Lots of trucks with trailers or towing boats with furniture.

Only one road currently open letting me get from the east side into Greenville proper, and it was jammed with debris from where it was under water, water is currently a ft under it, it is the same creek that washed out 33, once the river gets to 22 ft it goes back under water so I will be stuck over here for week unless I drive to Vanceboro and catch 43....

1 hour ago, janetjanet998 said:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED FLASH FLOOD WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC 859 AM EDT SUN OCT 9 2016 THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A * FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR... EAST CENTRAL MOORE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA... NORTHEASTERN HOKE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA... NORTHWESTERN CUMBERLAND COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA... * UNTIL 245 PM EDT *

AT 850 AM EDT...EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OFFICIALS REPORT THAT THE WOODLAKE DAM IN SOUTHEASTERN MOORE COUNTY IS AT EXTREME RISK OF FAILURE THIS MORNING. RESIDENTS ALONG CRANE CREEK AND THE LITTLE RIVER ARE BEING NOTIFIED OR EVACUATED. ROADS ALONG CRANE CREEK, INCLUDING NC690 WOULD BE, IF NOT ALREADY, CLOSED. FLOODING IS ALREADY ONGOING ALONG THE LITTLE RIVER, AND FLOODWATER LEVELS WOULD DEEPEN ACROSS NORTHERN CUMBERLAND COUNTY, AFFECTING MANCHESTER ROAD AND BRAGG BOULEVARD.

SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...   FORT BRAGG...POPE AFB AND SPRING LAKE.

What timing:

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/local/woodlake-dam-repairs-delayed/article_12068160-9426-5d66-840a-b057b3a1f44f.html

2 hours ago, griteater said:

Extreme Drought right next to Extreme Rainfall

Matt_Rain.gif

We could use a tropical system that would hit the central gulf coast and move up through the mountains to end this drought, but are not going to get one. The GFS says little to no rain in the drought area anytime soon. Of course the Carolinas east of I-77 do not need 1 more drop, but areas west of there really need it.

1 hour ago, janetjanet998 said:

This is the one about to fail its 10 miles or so from Ft Bragg but there are several neighborhoods along the road there right on the creek they dammed to create the lake...

Lake Surf.jpg

Archived