• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Matthew

NWNC2015

Yeah, live in a complex by intersection of 55 and 54, went out to grab dinner real quick and came back to power lines down by the Mr Tire on 54.

That Creek that runs under 54 between the chick fil a and Mr tire was an absolute river earlier. 

That must be what got me, I'm sure I'm less than a mile from you (in a complex near the dumb little gas station that everyone blocks traffic trying to get into, 54/barbee). Isn't there a big power station on 54/55 too?

Our complex now has a creek running through it that didn't used to be there. Still raining here, it had died down for a while. Sirens pretty much nonstop.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

Eastern Virginia is getting slammed. Were they expecting flooding rains and damaging winds? 

Well..... the modeling supported heavy rains tonight and strong winds tomorrow early morning into tomorrow afternoon. Tonight's relentless 50-60+ mph wind gusts were ahead of forecast until the very short-term modeling.l 

Sounds like swift water rescues continue to increase, flashback to Floyd almost same scenario by morning the choppers will be all over the place plucking people off roofs and stuff....winds stuill gusting 45-50, maybe a few 55-60, HRRR trying to say from 12-2am we get some 70+ but I doubt it.... the lulls are longer but when the wind picks back up its violent not the long rolling gust typically in canes more the slam you house downburst type stuff you get in severe thunderstorms.....it last 5-6 mins then lulls again for 10-15 mins....

7 minutes ago, thess said:

That must be what got me, I'm sure I'm less than a mile from you (in a complex near the dumb little gas station that everyone blocks traffic trying to get into, 54/barbee). Isn't there a big power station on 54/55 too?

Our complex now has a creek running through it that didn't used to be there. Still raining here, it had died down for a while. Sirens pretty much nonstop.

Yeah same here we had a little River flowing through area by our building , what complex are you in? We're over at the Arboretum apartments. 

The Lowcountry took quite a thump with Matthew.  The backside of the storm was wind wise much worse than the front quad. Peak winds at CHS 69mph at 1pm obs.  I was right about the same.  Neighboorhood had a good many trees down, 10" of rain, and same locations in surrounding neighborhoods that flooded in last year's historic flood, flooded again.

5 minutes ago, Stormsfury said:

The Lowcountry took quite a thump with Matthew.  The backside of the storm was wind wise much worse than the front quad. Peak winds at CHS 69mph at 1pm obs.  I was right about the same.  Neighboorhood had a good many trees down, 10" of rain, and same locations in surrounding neighborhoods that flooded in last year's historic flood, flooded again.

Anyone know how the resorts made out in Hilton Head Island Marriott and the Omni?  I was there back in August the water was a toasty 88 degrees....the wind coming off the water was like a sauna!!....equivalent to a hot land breeze at the Jersey Shore.

I guess many of the poster down south must have lost power by now. Not much going on here. I would not think lack of post would be lack of interest. I hope you guys down south recover as soon as possible. Prayers are with all that have had to deal with Matt. May his name be retired!!

Yeah same here we had a little River flowing through area by our building , what complex are you in? We're over at the Arboretum apartments. 

Meridian, it's kind of tucked away off Barbee. Really glad we're on the top floor, some of the ground floor units here had water just pouring under their front doors during that bad storm back in, what, July? Haven't been down to look, keeping indoors after the power outage, but suspect they're in bad shape.

Did a quick spin of some news outlets. WRAL's not bad, but heavy on video and light on text. News and Observer is way more interested in sports coverage than the freaking *disaster zone*.

CNN = Trump and Florida.

As far as folks down south not posting--I'm only online because I'm a nerd and charged up lots of battery packs. What kind of weather does it take to bring down cell service, incidentally? Verizon holding up okay here, although I just bumped up my data plan since it looks like we'll be down a while.

(Sorry, I don't mean to "blog", this is just my longest power outage since moving to NC. I barely missed the 2002 ice storm and last year's ice storm didn't get me.)

1 minute ago, Chinook said:

storm total rainfall estimated by KRAX (this may underestimate rainfall near Wilmington and Myrtle Beach). Teal = 10". light pink to purple shades are 6-10". scale is on the left. This might even be underestimating in many places.

7T5jdNi.png

I live under the double LL in Greenville and I have had at least 9-10" I dumped my gauge at noon with 4.5" in it and when I looked at it a couple hrs ago it had over 5" and its been raining the entire time since then though much lighter, still maybe enough for another .50" at least....so I have to be close to 10". 

1 hour ago, Stormsfury said:

Interesting comment Stormsfury about the back side being worse than the front side. I heard the same thing from people that lived in the Myrtle Beach are

River info for Greenville NC on impact different water levels have we are looking at 27ft right now hopefully thats to high and we manage to stay below that....24 ft turns this area into a lot of little islands...this will be repeated is just about every single town in eastern NC...

Numerous homes adjacent to the river in the city of Greenville will flood. All roads in and around Greenville become flooded and are impassable. Numerous homes and roads adjacent to the river will flood countywide.
Devastating flooding for all areas adjacent to the river and tributaries. Water will begin to flood the Pitt-Greenville Airport. Water will overflow into the city of Greenville. Nearly all major roads countywide will become flooded and impassable.
Water will overflow into the city of Greenville. Several secondary roads will also flood. Some homes along the river will flood. Evacuations will be needed. Water will begin to flood the Tar River Estates and Beech Street villas next to the river. On the north side of the river, water will flood up to the intersection of Mumford Road and Highway 33. Numerous tributaries will flood roads and homes countywide.

11.65" of rain by my Acurote rain gauge for the 24 hour period ending at midnight on Saturday. Another 9.63" after midnight to right now equals a grand storm total of 21.28" here in Elizabeth City. The wind is still howling and my neighborhood is still flooded. The Dutch water made it to the steps on the front porch, but blessedly stayed out of the garage and the crawl space.

This is the road I take to go to work, this is actually right down the road from parents house.....during Floyd this was a two lane road and there was a bridge there and the entire road washed out for maybe 50 ft ( I got pics somewhere ) and a man actually died there trying to cross it in Floyd. This creek empties into the river maybe a 1/4 mile to the right of the road here and if the Tar River gets to 24 ft this area will be under water or very close to it.....this is a major artery for Greenville....

NC33.jpg

This is another road I use all the time, I want to ride around and see if all the roads are cut and we are cut off from town but there is a curfew till 9 and they are strongly encouraging folks to not travel around....

Simpson St.jpeg

6.20 imby :D  CAE even broke a record

RECORD EVENT REPORT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC 0557 PM EDT SAT OCT 08 2016 ...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL FOR OCTOBER 8TH WAS SET AT COLUMBIA METRO AIRPORT SC... A DAILY RECORD RAINFALL FOR THE DATE OF OCTOBER 8TH OF 3.67 INCHES WAS SET AT COLUMBIA METRO AIRPORT SC TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 3.13 SET IN 1946.

Archived