Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Matthew

NWNC2015

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

getting a lot of power flickers now, think my time is limited its going down hill quickly and the HRRR and TWC talking about 60-70 mph wind over this area possible for the next 5-6 hrs...ugh

That's just horrible, the winds, floods, fire Matthew throwing everything at the SE to cause devastation

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still dark in Southpoint Durham, occasional sirens. Don't drive, guys.

The significant other doesn't care much about weather, and he thought I was being alarmist when I started charging up all the devices / battery packs / etc earlier.

Just now, thess said:

Still dark in Southpoint Durham, occasional sirens. Don't drive, guys.

The significant other doesn't care much about weather, and he thought I was being alarmist when I started charging up all the devices / battery packs / etc earlier.

Yeah, live in a complex by intersection of 55 and 54, went out to grab dinner real quick and came back to power lines down by the Mr Tire on 54.

That Creek that runs under 54 between the chick fil a and Mr tire was an absolute river earlier. 

3 minutes ago, yotaman said:

Just took the dogs out one last time and the rain has let up a bit but winds are blowing in the 20 to 30 mph range. Hopefully they don't get any stronger. Rainfall is now at 2.64" for the day.

oh your gonna get it, New Bern already on the north wind it will just take a few hrs to get going trust me its Irene bad out there right now, wont be surprised to see a gust to 70 at PGV at this rate.....

5 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

I don't understand why UNC, Duke, and State played today. Not only because of the conditions during the game, but because of safety for the fans. They knew no one had business being out in this mess today. 

Traffic was light after these games in durham/chapel hill.

I just talked to my dad and he had talked to a family friend that is on the emergency response team in Pitt Co and they are being told to prepare for a 27 ft crest in Greenville....this is 2 ft shy of Hurricane Floyds crest and would shut down the entire county, roads into and out of Greenville will go under water and thousands of homes etc will flood....this is about to become a nightmare for us....the water treatment plant will flood which means I got to drink bottled water for the next 3 months....ohhhh I just heard a transformer explode...amazed I still have power. All rivers in central and eastern NC are going to get right near or above Floyd level flooding....this is going to be bad. 

pgvn7_hg.png

2 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

I just talked to my dad and he had talked to a family friend that is on the emergency response team in Pitt Co and they are being told to prepare for a 27 ft crest in Greenville....this is 2 ft shy of Hurricane Floyds crest and would shut down the entire county, roads into and out of Greenville will go under water and thousands of homes etc will flood....this is about to become a nightmare for us....the water treatment plant will flood which means I got to drink bottled water for the next 3 months....ohhhh I just heard a transformer explode...amazed I still have power. All rivers in central and eastern NC are going to get right near or above Floyd level flooding....this is going to be bad. 

pgvn7_hg.png

Good luck!  I was on the fringes of Irene's worst flooding and have no interest in experiencing anything worse.  A lot of us feared this was coming even though Florida "got spared".   Those intense rain bands looked almost stationary on radar.  

Fooking disaster.

Although I find it compelling and have lost a lot of sleep on an event far from my back yard I will never understand why some root for extreme weather. 

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Good luck!  I was on the fringes of Irene's worst flooding and have no interest in experiencing anything worse.  A lot of us feared this was coming even though Florida "got spared".   Those intense rain bands looked almost stationary on radar.  

Fooking disaster.

Although I find it compelling and have lost a lot of sleep on an event far from my back yard I will never understand why some root for extreme weather. 

I wont lie I am a wind junkie and I have been out in it all night, that said its all 50-60 mph stuff and I dont want 100+ mph stuff that just breaks to much stuff, the water I never want...people are going to lose everything they own over the next 48-72 hrs sadly for a some of them it will include their lives....hopefully we dont see a similar death toll this time around and we learned out lessons in Floyd. Even though I live within .75 miles of the river I am on the "high" side and it wont get anywhere near me.

2 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

I wont lie I am a wind junkie and I have been out in it all night, that said its all 50-60 mph stuff and I dont want 100+ mph stuff that just breaks to much stuff, the water I never want...people are going to lose everything they own over the next 48-72 hrs sadly for a some of them it will include their lives....hopefully we dont see a similar death toll this time around and we learned out lessons in Floyd. Even though I live within .75 miles of the river I am on the "high" side and it wont get anywhere near me.

Ha, trust me, if I lived there I would be running outside every 10 minutes.  But yeah, the aftermath will be sobering. 

11 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

image.jpeg

Hey hippy, earlier today WRAL was showing 8 inches for areas around fayetteville despite ground truths of over 12 inches. They said to add several inches to those totals because dopplar was undergoing totals by 3-4 inches across the area. My dad had 7.65 inches from 2pm to 8pm today in Greenville,nc

I dumped 4.5" from my gauge around lunchtime and its got close to 6" in it now, hard to tell in the dark,  but the flooding in the yards and the way the water was running off far exceeded anything I have seen here, as windy as it was I am sure my gauge probably missed a few inches...radar estimates usually low in these events anyways....

Archived