Newest Member
    Dano62
Matthew

NWNC2015

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, downeastnc said:

So your skilled in the art of weather, so I will ask you.....what do you make of the ILM talk earlier of low level lapse rates causing mixing in the rain shield..

We noticed with Hurricane Hermine last month that the strongest
winds of that event occurred on the backside of the storm within a
region where heavy rain fell into drier air, causing evaporational
cooling and a subsequent steep low-level lapse rates to develop. The
same type of event could occur Saturday night on the backside of
Matthew as drier air becomes entrained beneath the western periphery
of the heavy rain shield. 00z GFS soundings valid over Florence and
Myrtle Beach show steep lapse rates developing from the surface up
to about 1500 feet AGL Saturday evening, with winds of 60-75 mph
getting dumped down into this mixed layer from aloft. This kind of
detail is not currently in our forecasts, but I would not be
surprised at all to see a region of exceptionally strong northerly
winds develop Saturday evening behind Matthew. This same region of
strong northerly winds might arrive in Wilmington after midnight.

I know the models really pop a 850 wind field over central and eastern SC/NC as the low swings SE of us....you think that is a legit threat, Hermine ended up giving us gust to 45-50+ and she had a whole let less to work with than Matt is bringing to the party. These are some pretty sick 850's and all the models agree this area of 850's will develop like this..

hwrf_mslp_uv850_14L_12.png

It's possible. As Matthew get's further north it will continue to lose tropical characteristics and the windfield will expand. I'm assuming theyre saying once the hurricane get's east of the NC coast, or SE, the northern fetch will draw in drier air which will increase sfc evaporational cooling/increase lapse rates, in effect mixing down the strong winds aloft at 900 to 850mb. The skew t for PVG tomorrow night on the GFS does sorta show this. I'm not sure you can accurately judge this will happen for sure. It's a very mesoscale event.

Just now, LMA1973 said:

Everything has been "lined up" since West Palm Beach LOL

I kind of agree, especially if you're talking about the main thread in the new tropical forum, but it's going to take a pretty sudden shift for that northern eyewall to not come ashore somewhere south of Charleston.

5 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

I kind of agree, especially if you're talking about the main thread in the new tropical forum, but it's going to take a pretty sudden shift for that northern eyewall to not come ashore somewhere south of Charleston.

I feel ya. It will be the same shift that made it miss Cape Canaveral, Daytona, Jacksonville, Savannah and next up-Charleston. Maybe it will this time, but my money isnt on it.

4 minutes ago, LMA1973 said:

I feel ya. It will be the same shift that made it miss Daytona, Jacksonville, Savannah and next up-Charleston. Maybe it will this time, but my money isnt on it.

Nah, most of that was just weenie wishcasting. But we'll know for sure soon enough. And I'm not convinced it will actually make an official landfall.

I wish you guys would include more central Va / RIC in your graphs and discussion since we are apart of the MA. We get lost here b/w the MA and SE and get very little information for this area.  You know, we still get weather here and would like to be included in graphs and tracking. Hope you will include this area and if so , I thank you!!

Archived