Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Matthew

NWNC2015

9 minutes ago, Lookout said:

I'm a bit more encouraged that ne ga and the western carolinas...especially the later...might get some half decent rain. Gfs has increased amounts with each run while in general there has been a gradual increase in how far northwest respectable amounts get. On top of that could get some decent wind gusts too. Gfs is showing 850mb winds near 55 to  knots and 925 mb winds of 50 to 55 knots  from athens to greenwood southward.  Wouldn't take much more north movement at all to see higher winds than that. The weenie  in me hopes so because I sure don't want to see it walk right up to the back door only to not come on in lol

Yes, being on the doorstep of the gradient is the worst.  It's like mby in winter lol!  I'm hoping for some gusts around here, but it looks like it's going to remain too far south for winds much more than 30 mph or so.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, jshetley said:

This reminds me a lot of Hermine now with where the cutoff was. Hopefully both of us get at least 1-2 inches of rain. This isn't too far from being a much bigger deal for both of us, with tons of rain and winds of 50-60 mph. A 50 mile west shift would probably do it.

Sure would...it's very close. 12 uk looks a bit NW of earlier runs with the low N of savannah..although it's hard to tell with the course maps. As for rain we now have the infamous French model on our side too lol. Edit uk looks better too. 

PR_000-060_0000.gif

18 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

I am currently sitting at around 60" of rain for the year at my house, PGV is currently at 56.70"....the normal annual rainfall over the last 30 years for here is 49", so I am 11" above annual rainfall IMBY....PGV is only 2" off pace to beat the wettest year ever here at PGV......even worse is last year we missed breaking the wettest year ever by less than 1".....if this does end up close to the latest GFS's 8-10" that would almost put PGV into wettest all time year, with almost 3 more months to go ugh......if we get that much rain its going to mean most of eastern NC has had 120+" of rain over the last 2 years.

Since June my weather station has logged 37.29". Add to that the 18.34" from January 1-May 31 and you get a grand total of 55.63" of rain so far this year. That's 7" of normal with three and half months left. Not sure what the record is for KECG which sits about 3.5 miles ENE of me.

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Can someone confirm if this is correct from the UK?  It looks weird.  It would be crushing for SC, in terms of rain:

60hr

P1_GZ_D5_PN_060_0000.gif

72hr

The 72 hour panel you posted was a cached one, below is the correct one.  This would be a fairly bad track for NC/SC coast.

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 12.50.59 PM.png

35 minutes ago, Lookout said:

I'm a bit more encouraged that ne ga and the western carolinas...especially the later...might get some half decent rain. Gfs has increased amounts with each run while in general there has been a gradual increase in how far northwest respectable amounts get. On top of that could get some decent wind gusts too. Gfs is showing 850mb winds near 55 to  knots and 925 mb winds of 50 to 55 knots  from athens to greenwood southward.  Wouldn't take much more north movement at all to see higher winds than that. The weenie  in me hopes so because I sure don't want to see it walk right up to the back door only to not come on in lol

Yeah we need the rain a lot here in SW WNC.  We will take anything we can get. It's crazy how the NW and in Eastern NC have good amounts of rainfall and we have not gotten much of anything here. 

Looks like folks will have to worry about tornadoes, too.

The Storm Prediction Center is forecasting the potential for isolated tornadoes mainly Thursday afternoon and Thursday night along the middle and upper Florida east coast in association with Hurricane Matthew. The threat for isolated tornadoes will continue Friday for the upper Florida coast northward along the Georgia coast.

The NWS encourages people to monitor the evolving dangerous weather conditions and seek shelter immediately if a local NWS forecast office issues a tornado warning.

While the northeast quadrant of a hurricane (relative to storm motion) is the most likely area for tornado occurrence, tornadoes can and have occurred northwest of the center, which places the middle and upper Florida east coast at risk.

The tornado risk is often greatest with outer bands of showers and thunderstorms well removed from the center of the hurricane, and therefore the risk to portions of the Florida east coast will begin Thursday afternoon and continue Thursday night.

Most tornadoes associated with hurricanes occur during the afternoon and evening, but the risk continues into the overnight hours Thursday night and Friday morning.

Biggest question mark for us now is the trough and how fast it exits.....seems there is still a slight trend to move Matt further NW a bit....if the trough holds on longer and stronger than modeled and Matt stays NNE or NE for even 12-24 hrs longer than modeled it would delay that sharper east and it would have major implications for coastal SC especially Georgetown up to Myrtle and obviously NC......I just don't want folks letting their guard down yet if it does stay 50-100 miles off FL and GA it could still be a mess up this way.

11 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

A hate to keep harping but it also looks like savannah proper is going to have some serious issues.  We may possibly see historic  river street under water with this one.

I would be very concerned for widespread areas of flooding (rivers overflowing / dam breaks) anywhere from Savannah to SE NC and all through the coastal plain in SC southeast of Columbia.  Euro shows the storm slowing down after it reaches the east central coast of FL.  From Friday aftn to Sat aftn, the storm only moves from near Jacksonville to off Hilton Head, with heavy rains thrown inland. 

Be aware that the ECMWF is showing 16.7" of precip west of Wilmington NC.    Much more than FLorida.....

See the ECMWF rainfall graphics

This has potential to be the damaging 'non wind non surge' part of the storm....

Latest 200pm Briefing from NWS Wilmington NC

http://www.weather.gov/media/ilm/LatestBriefing.pdf

Image courtesy of WeatherBell

UC1wsNQ.png

58 minutes ago, griteater said:

I would be very concerned for widespread areas of flooding (rivers overflowing / dam breaks) anywhere from Savannah to SE NC and all through the coastal plain in SC southeast of Columbia.  Euro shows the storm slowing down after it reaches the east central coast of FL.  From Friday aftn to Sat aftn, the storm only moves from near Jacksonville to off Hilton Head, with heavy rains thrown inland. 

It's surprising to me, every time I check the Charleston area storm surge maps there really isn't much there compared to what I see just an hour and a half away in Savannah. I'm wondering how much that might change if the storm stays over water but closer to the coast and wanders near CHS.

6 minutes ago, Ser Pounce said:

It's surprising to me, every time I check the Charleston area storm surge maps there really isn't much there compared to what I see just an hour and a half away in Savannah. I'm wondering how much that might change if the storm stays over water but closer to the coast and wanders near CHS.

The shape of the GA coast lends to very high storm surge potential.  I do admit I am surprised at the rapid drop off.  Even Savannah has much les surge than just down 10-20 miles farther south.

7 minutes ago, Ser Pounce said:

one thing to note with the NOAA storm surge graphics.....there is a disclaimer in small print at the bottom of the graphic that state there is only a 1 in 10 chance that the levels shown will be exceeded......so I believe the intent of these values is to convey the worse case scenario

Archived