SnowHabit
Matthew

NWNC2015

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tramadoc said:

Thank you much. You're just full of good news. LOL

Sorry. :(  I'd think the Euro is more reliable, which I believe is showing less.  The UK will be out shortly, though.  It's done pretty well track-wise, and if it continues to show it's persistent, more northerly solution, it will probably show higher totals.  It'll cave at some point, though!

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

Sorry. :(  I'd think the Euro is more reliable, which I believe is showing less.  The UK will be out shortly, though.  It's done pretty well track-wise, and if it continues to show it's persistent, more northerly solution, it will probably show higher totals.  It'll cave at some point, though!

Even 3" of rain isn't a good thing. Edenton and Windsor flooded from Hermine and the water still hasn't gone down to normal levels. Bunn's BBQ in Windsor had 8" of water in their restaurant in downtown Windsor from the Cashie River flooding. They might not reopen after that one.

13 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Tram, I think you grabbed the 0z.  Here's the 12z.  Looks a bit higher.

gfs_apcpn_seus_13.png

I'm a bit more encouraged that ne ga and the western carolinas...especially the later...might get some half decent rain. Gfs has increased amounts with each run while in general there has been a gradual increase in how far northwest respectable amounts get. On top of that could get some decent wind gusts too. Gfs is showing 850mb winds near 55 to  knots and 925 mb winds of 50 to 55 knots  from athens to greenwood southward.  Wouldn't take much more north movement at all to see higher winds than that. The weenie  in me hopes so because I sure don't want to see it walk right up to the back door only to not come on in lol

I am currently sitting at around 60" of rain for the year at my house, PGV is currently at 56.70"....the normal annual rainfall over the last 30 years for here is 49", so I am 11" above annual rainfall IMBY....PGV is only 2" off pace to beat the wettest year ever here at PGV......even worse is last year we missed breaking the wettest year ever by less than 1".....if this does end up close to the latest GFS's 8-10" that would almost put PGV into wettest all time year, with almost 3 more months to go ugh......if we get that much rain its going to mean most of eastern NC has had 120+" of rain over the last 2 years.

12 minutes ago, tramadoc said:

Even 3" of rain isn't a good thing. Edenton and Windsor flooded from Hermine and the water still hasn't gone down to normal levels. Bunn's BBQ in Windsor had 8" of water in their restaurant in downtown Windsor from the Cashie River flooding. They might not reopen after that one.

Yikes!  Don't look at the GGEM.  5"+ from east of Charlotte up through the Triangle to Morehead out to Hatteras.  SE NC gets 14"+!  :bag:

It's got to be wrong.

gem_apcpn_seus_13.png

15 minutes ago, ncskywarn said:

RAH may have to up those QPF totals if these model trends continue.

For reference...the expected winds for the Raleigh area from Matthew will about like what we are experiencing today (maybe less) per NWS:

For Thursday afternoon: This associated cloud distribution will
probably support an atypical temperature one, with upper 60s over
the NE Piedmont and NRN Coastal Plain, ranging to lower to perhaps
middle 70s over the SRN and WRN Piedmont. It will also become
breezy, with 10-15 kt sustained winds gusting between 15-25 kts this
afternoon - strongest E. Lows tonight will not be as cool as recent
days, given steadily increasing low level moisture/humidity,
widespread low OVC, and probable rain - lows in the 60s.

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

I am currently sitting at around 60" of rain for the year at my house, PGV is currently at 56.70"....the normal annual rainfall over the last 30 years for here is 49", so I am 11" above annual rainfall IMBY....PGV is only 2" off pace to beat the wettest year ever here at PGV......even worse is last year we missed breaking the wettest year ever by less than 1".....if this does end up close to the latest GFS's 8-10" that would almost put PGV into wettest all time year, with almost 3 more months to go ugh......if we get that much rain its going to mean most of eastern NC has had 120+" of rain over the last 2 years.

Amazing. On the other side of the mountains, I'm on pace to beat the driest year ever for my location by nearly 6" . . . and we won't see a drop from Matthew.

3 minutes ago, Lookout said:

I'm a bit more encouraged that ne ga and the western carolinas...especially the later...might get some half decent rain. Gfs has increased amounts with each run while in general there has been a gradual increase in how far northwest respectable amounts get. On top of that could get some decent wind gusts too. Gfs is showing 850mb winds near 55 to  knots and 925 mb winds of 50 to 55 knots  from athens to greenwood southward.  Wouldn't take much more north movement at all to see higher winds than that. The weenie  in me hopes so because I sure don't want to see it walk right up to the back door only to not come on in lol

This reminds me a lot of Hermine now with where the cutoff was. Hopefully both of us get at least 1-2 inches of rain. This isn't too far from being a much bigger deal for both of us, with tons of rain and winds of 50-60 mph. A 50 mile west shift would probably do it.

Archived