• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Matthew

NWNC2015

Looking at the water vapor imagery I find it really hard to believe this doesn't make it up to the Carolinas, going to be a close call. Anxious to see what the models hold tonight, I know a lot of people here in Jacksonville let their guard down earlier because of the update.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Really looks better on ir and like the eye is about to pop out again too. Hrrr is taking it toward miami too. 

Check out this link man; it's not too bad.  I found the "large image" on their server in a directory... and it seems to be rapidscan or something http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/SATRAPID/satloop.html

Can anyone recall a storm that made landfall in 2 different states?

EURO Operational looks like landfall around Daytona then landfall around Charleston and then back to being a fish.  The EURO rolls that scenario.

I am with Lookout though, this really looks like a bad case scenario unfolding.  

EURO_Wed1.JPG

EURO_Wed2.JPG

2 minutes ago, HWY316wx said:

Can anyone recall a storm that made landfall in 2 different states?

EURO Operational looks like landfall around Daytona then landfall around Charleston and then back to being a fish.  The EURO rolls that scenario.

I am with Lookout though, this really looks like a bad case scenario unfolding.  

EURO_Wed1.JPG

EURO_Wed2.JPG

Not uncommon actually.....Andrew, Katrina, Charley, there are a bunch and thats not counting the ones that landfall at the SC/NC border of which there have been several....

1 minute ago, downeastnc said:

Not uncommon actually.....Andrew, Katrina, Charley, there are a bunch and thats not counting the ones that landfall at the SC/NC border of which there have been several....

While I realize that Katrina hit LA, MS and Alabama due to size, maybe I should be more specific.  A hurricane that makes landfall bounces out into the ocean and goes and makes landfall more than 24 hours later.

Just now, HWY316wx said:

While I realize that Katrina hit LA, MS and Alabama due to size, maybe I should be more specific.  A hurricane that makes landfall bounces out into the ocean and goes and makes landfall more than 24 hours later.

Katrina crossed FL.....Andrew did the same and Charley as well....they all hit again after hitting FL....also it depends on what you count as a landfall there is a decent chance that the center of Matt never actually gets onshore in FL or anywhere else....but the eyewall may hit several places, Matt if he does the path some models have could actually skirt FL, SC and NC or even landfall all three states and that would be rather rare indeed. 

I'm trying to watch Brad P's video on Facebook but my wifi sucks and I don't have a good cell signal in my house so it's all jumpy and I can't hear what all he's saying. He mentioned a possible Fujiwara effect due to Matthew and Nicole.  Can someone break that down into simple terms for me? That's not like what happened in The Perfect Storm is it? 

11 minutes ago, NicInNC said:

I'm trying to watch Brad P's video on Facebook but my wifi sucks and I don't have a good cell signal in my house so it's all jumpy and I can't hear what all he's saying. He mentioned a possible Fujiwara effect due to Matthew and Nicole.  Can someone break that down into simple terms for me? That's not like what happened in The Perfect Storm is it? 

Long story short it is when two storms (in close proximity) "orbit each other".  A much stronger storm will be dominant and basically eat it (or toss it to the wolves), if allowed.  I do not personally think it is making enough of an effect this early in the game to cause major changes in strength or track of Matthew.  Maybe after he possibly takes his loop.

Edit: if i am not mistaken, the "perfect storm" was a capture into another piece of strong energy in a trough swinging through the northeast.

With that said, it is much more advanced and in this situation other factors are important.  I would highly recommend you to look up the Fujiwara effect when you have time one day.  It is fascinating, especially in the Atlantic ocean (more rare).

Hard to bet against the model consensus at this point, they all have to have it wrong at this point for this to be any more than a rain threat, maybe some decent wind down along the coast but nothing hurricane force most likely...the models all shove the trough north and weaken it while building the big high over the GOM which then dominates the steering for Matt....it would take a pretty epic failure at this point for the trough to win out and cause a more north track into NC......

1 hour ago, downeastnc said:

Hard to bet against the model consensus at this point, they all have to have it wrong at this point for this to be any more than a rain threat, maybe some decent wind down along the coast but nothing hurricane force most likely...the models all shove the trough north and weaken it while building the big high over the GOM which then dominates the steering for Matt....it would take a pretty epic failure at this point for the trough to win out and cause a more north track into NC......

Yep....UK still fairly aggressive with its track.  But Euro/EPS took a step back with major wind impacts to NC coast..  Still looks very wet for coastal regions.  

32 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Yep....UK still fairly aggressive with its track.  But Euro/EPS took a step back with major wind impacts to NC coast..  Still looks very wet for coastal regions.  

We should be able to tell if the models have blown it by Friday afternoon, if the trough isn't retreating by then we may have problems.....still in order for that to happen the models have to be wrong on a large scale feature in the short range and that's pretty doubtful.

4 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

We should be able to tell if the models have blown it by Friday afternoon, if the trough isn't retreating by then we may have problems.....still in order for that to happen the models have to be wrong on a large scale feature in the short range and that's pretty doubtful.

Yep...the models have been pretty good inside 48 so think today's 12 runs will have a good idea. 

Archived