Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Matthew

NWNC2015

10 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Flooding setup potential for GA and SC is off the charts IMO.  There are going to be some epic scenes coming out of the coastal areas there.  It's about game time,. The only way to avoid it is for Matthew to stay farther off shore than currently expected.  

I'm very concerned about this for coastal SC/NC. 12Z ECMWF puts down 10"+ over a large area that is already well above normal for the past month.

ecmwf_tprecip_nc_21.png

Precip_Departure.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

NAM is definitely slower this run. At hour 36 it's at least 100 miles south of 12z

yeah cant buy model agreement for anything it seems.....12K slow and takes a nice N jump away from FL at 42.. slower though till lagging 12Z by 100 miles or so......stays 100 miles off Fl though , 4K closer still no landfall at 36 and its moving more N now gonna be close.

5 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

yeah cant buy model agreement for anything it seems.....12K slow and takes a nice N jump away from FL at 42.. slower though till lagging 12Z by 100 miles or so......stays 100 miles off Fl though , 4K closer still no landfall at 36 and its moving more N now gonna be close.

At 54 it's still south of the 12z but it look like it's trying to take the same path (just slower).

23 minutes ago, Stormcatt said:

Yeah supports the more northern idea but the OP is west of the mean with most members offshore and going hard right by day 4

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Looking at the members, atleast half the members are inland in SC up to NC at hours 72-84.  At hour 84, looks like 10 or so members off the coast by 100-200 miles that is skewing the mean further east which is why you say the Op is west of the mean. 

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

^^ Pack, I think the strength shown in that image is a little bit ridiculous, given that it has just traveled along virtually the entire east coast of FL.  No way it recovers that much in 12 hours.

If it tracks just like the Op then I buy a gradual weakening like it shows.  If it tracks up I-95 in FL then it will be a lot weaker and rain will be the only problem.

Just add to some precedence...Hurricane David paralleled FL coast as Cat 2 100mph and stayed a Cat 2 for duration of FL coastline and weakened to Cat 1 as made landfall.  Matt is progged to be a 120-130mph as it approaches FL coastline.  I dunno...maybe it does weaken more rapidly.

220px-David_1979_track.png

Looking at the members, atleast half the members are inland in SC up to NC at hours 72-84.  At hour 84, looks like 10 or so members off the coast by 100-200 miles that is skewing the mean further east which is why you say the Op is west of the mean. 

I see your point but most of the members are right on the coast or just offshore at 84 and by 90 are pulling east . Regardless it will be interesting to see if it's a trend or not at 00z abb5675419a3805c774d58a3ae3a4873.jpg

bfb18ad7a6d54f07fb3abfc1da0e85b5.jpg

4a99d220e061f3724ebd6fdb9147562f.jpg

9 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Just add to some precedence...Hurricane David paralleled FL coast as Cat 2 100mph and stayed a Cat 2 for duration of FL coastline and weakened to Cat 1 as made landfall.  Matt is progged to be a 120-130mph as it approaches FL coastline.  I dunno...maybe it does weaken more rapidly.

Hurricane David crossed both Dominican Republic and Haiti and the inner core never fully recovered.  I was 7 at the time David came thru but this was the storm that surplanted weather as an addiction so to speak.  

Rains were torrential, winds were rough but it wasn't a devastating storm per se.

18 minutes ago, Stormcatt said:

I see your point but most of the members are right on the coast or just offshore at 84 and by 90 are pulling east . Regardless it will be interesting to see if it's a trend or not at 00z 

Yep...would actually be better if it went inland, would weaken alot more rapidly.  Just off the coast would be worse for the coastal regions.

3 minutes ago, NCWX said:

Why is the NWS showing it so far out to see before it gets even close to NC? The 5 pm makes me think I wasted a lot of money on food and getting my generator fixed.  

There has only been 1 run of models that has hinted at perhaps the trough being stronger and the storm being more north up this way....if the 18Z GFS gets further north and then the models at 00Z repeat or creep north some more they will adjust....your probably gonna need that jenny if this trend is correct where you are could easily get hurricane conditions....give it time its still 3 days or so out.

3 minutes ago, NCWX said:

So basically the NWS is downplaying a possible disaster? 

They are not downplaying anything....at best it is 60-70 hrs from impacting NC so if the runs tonight continue to indicate its going to get further north into NC they will issue a hurricane watch probably at 11 am tomorrow morning giving at least 48 hrs of lead time....

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

If you get half of Matt over land it's going to have some detrimental impacts.  I could see it weakening rapidly from 3 to a 1 once we get land interaction.  Plus once storms start moving north in this part of the world they start to weaken and transition slowly to extra tropical.  JMO.

14 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Hurricane watch hoisted for coastal GA.

Not sure how good the 4km nam is with these things but the 18z run looks almost like a worst case scenerio...keeps the eye just off shore enough to maintain a lot of its strength  but close enough that essentially rakes the entire coast from central florida to southern sc with the western eyewall...and getting as low as 933mb. It should.be noted it initialized the storm with a pressure of 970mb..so.that is a lot of strengthening. Possible cat 5 at some point? Hopefully it stays enough off shore.but it's scary to think the next best case scenerio is actual full landfall.

Archived