Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Matthew

NWNC2015

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NWNC2015 said:

interesting to see if the 0z gfs will initialize the strength correctly tonight, 18z was off, and I bet that will induce a further south-west threat down the east coast (hint Florida) maybe not so much Carolinas it will be a wait and see

Cleo - see my map a page back.

There's a piece of tropical energy to the ENE of Matthew that will follow it along it's path over the next few days... You can see it on the IR imagery to the NE of matthew and on the UL charts on the GFS/EURO. Earlier the models were factoring this in down the road, creating a weakness in the ridge allowing Matthew to turn northeast sharply off of NC. That feature is starting to trend towards dissipation over the next few days. This allows the ridge to build back in over Matthew after the current ULL over the midwest is swept out to sea. This bends it back to the WNW towards southern florida. Based on trends, it wouldn't suprise me to see the models flip towards a strong bend WNW on the 00z package.

1 minute ago, HKY_WX said:

There's a piece of tropical energy to the ENE of Matthew that will follow it along it's path over the next few days... You can see it on the IR imagery to the NE of matthew and on the UL charts on the GFS/EURO. Earlier the models were factoring this in down the road, creating a weakness in the ridge allowing Matthew to turn northeast sharply off of NC. That feature is starting to trend towards dissipation over the next few days. This allows the ridge to build back in over Matthew after the current ULL over the midwest is swept out to sea. This bends it back to the WNW towards southern florida. Based on trends, it wouldn't suprise me to see the models flip towards a strong bend WNW on the 00z package.

Thank you for articulating my humble attempts :~)

7 minutes ago, Shawn said:

As long as nothing happens with this eyewall, we are looking at Cat 5 if not by 2am, tomorrow morning.  It's been a while!

Between 5 and 8PM, it went from 140 to 150mph.  From what I understand, night-time is the best chance for strengthening.

Could not agree more - and only 7 mph from Cat 5 - this guy may decide to make his own journey wherever he wants, and the GOM, though not likely, may be where he decides to drink, bed down and then be a bandit ....

26 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

Could not agree more - and only 7 mph from Cat 5 - this guy may decide to make his own journey wherever he wants, and the GOM, though not likely, may be where he decides to drink, bed down and then be a bandit ....

Well.  Looks like Cat 5 may be coming by 11PM if not an early advisory.  Whew @ that latest recon.  The pressure wasn't down to "941" or whatever.. but the winds are there.  Crossposting this.

000930 1327N 07202W 6974 02689 9464 +169 +149 041077 086 138 001 03
001000 1328N 07203W 6993 02697 9580 +130 //// 043105 114 143 045 01
001030 1329N 07204W 6960 02822 9699 +119 //// 049131 138 142 047 05

The bolded on the left are FL winds and on the right are Surface winds.

Crossposting my post from the main forums over here:

For those that do not have these sites, they are amazing for this tropical stuff

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/products/tc_realtime/ (great for imagery, other info in one place click "Matthew")

http://tropicalatlantic.com/ (faster and better looking Recon raw data, good information too otherwise)

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/recon/ (pretty recon maps, easy data to read and a good model tracking section)

http://www.ral.ucar.edu/guidance/realtime/current/ (my first go to to get an overall view of what's happening with invests, storms)

Its nasty for sure, still so many things that will steer this thing are up in the air its almost a waste of time to track each run ( kinda like winter storms) but that wont stop all of us from picking each run apart....its what we do. I really do not like the Hazel analogs, but this thing would need to be 125 MPH at landfall to rival that. 

1 minute ago, DopplerWx said:

early 00z tracks look west, hugging the se coast. LEK may be on the money with his se florida landfall forecast.

Lots of tropical eye candy on those early cycle tracks and intensity.  I have to had it to Alan, he has done a great job on the model center putting together all of those graphics.  There are a few early models that are off the intensity chart after 12 hrs and you don't see them again until 196hrs, meaning 8 days at Cat 5.  0z initialized at 135kts

3 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

Lots of tropical eye candy on those early cycle tracks and intensity.  I have to had it to Alan, he has done a great job on the model center putting together all of those graphics.  There are a few early models that are off the intensity chart after 12 hrs and you don't see them again until 196hrs, meaning 8 days at Cat 5.  0z initialized at 135kts

Yeah I guess I need to break down and the pony up for the models.....

10 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

early 00z tracks look west, hugging the se coast. LEK may be on the money with his se florida landfall forecast.

LEK made a good call earlier with his 140mph, and that map he made earlier I think people thought was kind of a troll..... he has a good reputation though.  I'm looking forward to him posting more thoughts about that track if he was serious.

Archived