joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the near term, it would appear this system will not be revving up very quickly.  It's struggling a bit with dry air (because Atlantic) and recon isn't finding much out there, yet.  There are certainly some interesting track possibilities down the road.  Where it ultimately ends up is anyone's guess at 7-10 days out.

5 hours ago, WeatherFan202 said:

Based on pressure it looks like the Euro shows a Cat 4 smacking Florida. 

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_11.png

Back when I was at CSU, I used to go to the CIRA building to discuss weather every day. The small crowd that gathered every day had a little joke that they pulled out when a system was going in the Atlantic. No matter what the cloud pattern looked like, no matter what the lat/lon, somebody would say "Cat 5 into Miami" as a joke. I guess the Euro may be playing a little "Cat 4 into Miami" joke on us. Well I certainly hope we have no Cat 4 in the United States.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I'll go with the "fails to develop at all" scenario.  That seems to be the theme this season.

It is nearly a depression right now and the synoptic pattern is very favorable. A post like yours is completely lacking any evidence and pretty useless to be honest.

2 hours ago, Snow88 said:
0z Hurricane Models
rlvmhh.png

It's a given.  A developing system approaching the islands, the models always seem to have an eastern bias.  heck even with developed systems.  Something I've noticed over the years.  you can go back and look at NHC track forecasts for systems east of the islands, no matter the latitude, and past 72 hours they consistently move the cone westward, up to a point.  There always seems to be an eastern bias.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

It is nearly a depression right now and the synoptic pattern is very favorable. A post like yours is completely lacking any evidence and pretty useless to be honest.

Agreed... In all honesty I'm pretty terrified about what this system is going to do once it gets past Cuba (or wherever it ends up.) This is a very large wave, so it's likely to be a large storm with a wide range of significant impacts. First, Cuba/Hispanola is going to deal with a hurricane though, *possibly* Cat 3+. Seeing the GFS/GEFS strongly hint at a sandy'esque storm (in track, strength, and size) is scary, to say the least. 

3 minutes ago, JasonOH said:

FYI, the 0z GFS takes it into NC as a 940mb cane.  The important feature I've been seeing on the GFS is the high pressure over Maine to Nova Scotia and a weak high in the Atlantic.  There is nowhere for a storm to go but the coast on the GFS.

Yeah that's my MBY's  weenie run right there, would put me right in the center...but I show it as a 965-970MB storm at landfall nowhere near a 940.....

1 minute ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

0Z GEM rides up the coast as a 972 to 973 mb Hurricane

Funny thing is yesterday at 00Z the GEM basically had the same solution the GFS just had at tonights 00Z, the GFS has been coming west and the GEM is going back east....after a few more days the models will have run just about every scenario and one of them will end up right....

• wxmx pinned this topic
  • wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived