Newest Member
    SnowHabit
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

12z HWRF has a cat 2 cane striking the lesser Antilles in roughly 60 hours. That would be the first serious threat they have faced in awhile. Gets down to the low 940's south of Hispaniola, in a similar spot to where Sandy was picked up.

I've always heard the HWRF doesn't do well with weak/disorganization systems.

Just now, WeatherFan202 said:

I agree. May just be me but at this stage we should be giving the EPS more weight anyway right?

I don't really think we can get an idea of what happens long-term until this develops a modest circulation and we start getting recon data ingested. 

The thing I take away from the EPS is that it has a pretty good consensus of a relatively strong ridge over the east, while the GFS seems to be kicking the trough out of the Plains much quicker. 

This is not going to be an easy storm to forecast. 

ecmwf-ens_mslpaNorm_atl_11.png

To me, it depends on whether 97L develops quickly or not. A deeper system would feel the effects of the departing mid/upper level cutoff low, which leaves behind a weak trough, stronger in the upper levels, hence the more intense system sensing the mid/upper level steering currents. A weaker system would also travel a bit further south, closer to SA, like the UKie and the Euro are modeling, with the departing trough leaving weaker mid/lower level steering currents, hence the slower motion in the european models. That would leave a window for a building ridge on the trough's trail that could lead future 97L in a track towards the GoM.

• wxmx pinned this topic
  • wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived