Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

There was definitely some baroclinic contribution there. About a 10F spread in temps and 5-10F spread in dews across the band.

I'll be interested to see what some of the final totals were underneath that. Radar estimates were certainly impressive, but they typically underestimate in deep warm-rain setups.

We were under it for a while and even though the rain drops were HUGE, the rates were not that grand imo. I would have estimated it at 1-1.5" per hour rate 

Storm rainfall totals as of 1100 PM EDT SAT OCT 08:

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/nfdscc5.html

MATTHEW IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE UP TO AN ADDITIONAL 4 TO 8 INCHES OF RAIN...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS...ACROSS EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA AND INTO SOUTHEAST VIRGINIA. THIS WILL LEAD TO STORM TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF UP TO 20 INCHES IN SOME AREAS. THIS RAINFALL WILL CONTINUE TO RESULT IN LIFE THREATENING FLOODING AND FLASH FLOODING. THE HEAVIEST RAINFALL SHOULD COME TO AN END BY SUNDAY AS MATTHEW MOVES AWAY FROM THE COAST.

So the loop is no more, the binary interaction with Nicole more or less a non-event or a brief wobble south, Matthew tries his best to tag along with the front and may even manage to get on board around Newfoundland. The rains across the Mid-Atlantic may be analyzed as frontal over-running but it's really Matthew in disguise. 

Nicole waits around for a while then re-energized makes a northeast move on Bermuda. 

21 hours ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

The UKMET did especially well imo. The Euro also did a fairly good job too. But the UKMET had been signaling a florida threat, while all the others were still OTS until the carolinas. Very well done.

Quantitative verification agrees.  For Matthew mean track errors : ukmo < ecmfw < gfs < everything else.  Edited to fix obviously wrong name.

10 hours ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

The UKMET did especially well imo. The Euro also did a fairly good job too. But the UKMET had been signaling a florida threat, while all the others were still OTS until the carolinas. Very well done.

Models (except the EURO) were consistently too far north with the storm, until it got to Florida. Then someone flipped a switch and they were all consistently too far south with it.

Hurricane Matthew has 49.3 ACE units, making up less than half of the 113.5 ACE units for the Atlantic (Ryan Maue web page). The Atlantic is above the usual 104 ACE units for the season. I recently figured out that my old friend Phil Klotzbach/CSU has ACE calculations that may be a little different from Maue/Weatherbell.

Not sure the best place to post this:

70 miles inland in SC... 47,000 of 52,000 in our county still without power (and projected to be out for a week), huge trees and power lines down everywhere, roads/cars/even some houses flooded, can barely get anywhere in town.

The rain was predicted but it was repeatedly said that the rain would be the main problem. There is tons and tons of damage from downed trees, and the wind was very impressive. Gusts strong enough to knock you off of your feet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, WeatherFan202 said:

It actually ended up being a cat 5. Matthew became a cat 5 with pressure around 940mb. So obv 930 can be a cat 5

For future reference, here is the advisorydiscussion where it was first stated as a cat 5

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2016/al14/al142016.discus.012.shtml?

e: advisory link: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2016/al14/al142016.public.012.shtml?

On 10/8/2016 at 3:00 PM, Chinook said:

North Myrtle Beach KCRE shows 981mb. Wow. By the way, I don't think I've ever seen an eyewall transition to a linear thunderstorm band like is what happening just north of Myrtle Beach.   I was at Surfside for 2 summers so I am a little sad to see the storm surge go over the street (as per somebody's post on the SE subforum)

I grew up in Surfside and live about 8 miles away now. Garden City/Surfside was hit very hard with surge. Surfside and Springmaid Piers were even destroyed. We live west of the waterway and a good portion of our fence was damaged. 

We had A LOT more damage than many thought we would! 

I always figured that Garden City would take a bigger hit from a storm surge. The dune was about 6 ft in Surfside. It seems to me the shops in downtown Myrtle Beach were about 15 ft above the water. Garden City had almost no dune protection. I may or may not remember these things correctly. What is your take on it?

Let me tell you something I haven't told a lot of people. We were at Surfside in '96 then our group had to go to Columbia to evacuate for Hurricane Bertha. While in Columbia, we were watching TWC, and meteorologist Bill Keneeley was reporting at Murrell's Inlet. We said, jokingly, that there was Bill Keneeley standing next to our rental house, getting washed away! Of course, Bertha in '96 did not landfall there, but the eye was close. Nothing got washed away, and no trees were down that I saw. Bertha's winds away from shore decreased the water level when we got back. So it was an anti-storm surge, kind of interesting to find a few things on the beach that would have been underwater.

6 hours ago, Chinook said:

I always figured that Garden City would take a bigger hit from a storm surge. The dune was about 6 ft in Surfside. It seems to me the shops in downtown Myrtle Beach were about 15 ft above the water. Garden City had almost no dune protection. I may or may not remember these things correctly. What is your take on it?

Let me tell you something I haven't told a lot of people. We were at Surfside in '96 then our group had to go to Columbia to evacuate for Hurricane Bertha. While in Columbia, we were watching TWC, and meteorologist Bill Keneeley was reporting at Murrell's Inlet. We said, jokingly, that there was Bill Keneeley standing next to our rental house, getting washed away! Of course, Bertha in '96 did not landfall there, but the eye was close. Nothing got washed away, and no trees were down that I saw. Bertha's winds away from shore decreased the water level when we got back. So it was an anti-storm surge, kind of interesting to find a few things on the beach that would have been underwater.

I was telling my wife tonight when we were riding around that Garden City, especially along ocean boulevard, is basically a bowl. It's a little bit like New Orleans down there because once the water rises high enough, it has nowhere to go but down...into the houses along the boulevard and a few rows back from it. A part of the boulevard was closed this evening because they're cleaning the road up from the surge. And this was just a category 1 storm. This area can't take another Hugo! 

On 10/08/2016 at 10:03 PM, Windspeed said:

Matthew will be retired. This has been a record-breaking and catastrophic hurricane with massive loss of life. Here are notable records so far.

https://webcms.colostate.edu/tropical/media/sites/111/2016/10/matthew.pdf

I heard a figure of an estimated 4-6 billion dollars worth of damage that Matthew has or will have caused by the time all things are said and done not to mention the 1000+ deaths. So yeah Matthew's name is going to be retired.

• wxmx unpinned this topic
On 10/11/2016 at 0:16 AM, ncskywarn said:

I heard a figure of an estimated 4-6 billion dollars worth of damage that Matthew has or will have caused by the time all things are said and done not to mention the 1000+ deaths. So yeah Matthew's name is going to be retired.

Not sure how the numbers are figured, determined, etc.... but AP reporting that an estimate from Goldman Sachs puts the damage at approximately $10 Billion

On 10/11/2016 at 0:16 AM, ncskywarn said:

Not trying to belabor the point, but Matthew would have been retired even if it had scooted out to sea after Haiti/Cuba. It didn't "need" the US part to obviously justify name retirement.

Archived