Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, LovintheWhiteFluff said:

Center has to reach land, not just the EW.

It's been a while since we had to figure this out.  But as long as some part of the "eye" comes on land, its a landfall correct?  I know I have heard sometimes on media.. that lowest pressure had to be recorded in a spot.. but I thought that was when it was a "multiple landfall" deal.

3 minutes ago, Bsudweather said:

OK that's what I was thinking too that it was about 10 miles off. But saw a post that said it had made LF.

It is dangerously close to making that landfall.  It would have to literally turn hard East right now to miss the low country of SC in some capacity.  Hilton Head is getting rocked.

Sorry if this is just semantics at this point... But if I recall correctly, at least half of the eye has to make it over land in order for it to be classified as a landfall. In other words, as a met posted above, the true center has to officially cross over. 

Anyway - back to the main event. What an incredible, at times bizarre hurricane. Just hoping everyone prepared as best as possible.

Just now, mikemost said:

Sorry if this is just semantics at this point... But if I recall correctly, at least half of the eye has to make it over land in order for it to be classified as a landfall. In other words, as another poster noted above, the true center has to officially cross over. 

Anyway - back to the main event. What an incredible, at times bizarre hurricane. Just hoping everyone prepared as best as possible.

Close, but it's the hurricane's surface center aka where the lowest pressure is. 

Landfall:

The intersection of the surface center of a tropical cyclone with a coastline. 

Center:

Generally speaking, the vertical axis of a tropical cyclone, usually defined by the location of minimum wind or minimum pressure. The cyclone center position can vary with altitude. In advisory products, refers to the center position at the surface.

If Charleston has set a tidal record does anyone have an idea of what the tide may be in the area of Tybee or Hilton Head Islands? I have been looking by have not seen any reports. As I typed this I saw the post by Rjay thanks. I would suspect that that high of observed water is not going to be good at all for the islands. 

12 minutes ago, LovintheWhiteFluff said:

Generally speaking, the vertical axis of a tropical cyclone, usually defined by the location of minimum wind or minimum pressure. The cyclone center position can vary with altitude. In advisory products, refers to the center position at the surface.

I should've clarified, I was alluding to Chinook's post regarding lowest central pressure, but that verifies. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Rjay said:

My friend in Savanah send me this video.  You can hear the winds roaring overhead.

Whoa.

HURRICANE MATTHEW TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       AL142016
300 AM EDT SAT OCT 08 2016

...3 AM EDT POSITION UPDATE...
...NORTHERN EYEWALL WITH HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS MOVING ONSHORE
HILTON HEAD ISLAND AND PRITCHARDS ISLAND SOUTH CAROLINA...

A wind gust of 65 mph (104 km/h) was recently measured by NOAA
buoy 41033, located just offshore of Pritchards Island, South
Carolina.  A wind gust of 46 mph (74 km/h) was recently reported
at the airport on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.

Water levels remain high along much of the St. Johns River, with
3.3 feet of storm surge inundation reported at the Racy Point
tide gauge.  About 4.0 ft of storm surge inundation was reported at
Ft. Pulaski, Georgia, near Savannah, and 3.2 ft of storm surge
inundation has been reported at the Port of Charleston, South
Carolina.

SUMMARY OF 300 AM EDT...0700 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...31.7N 80.6W
ABOUT 35 MI...60 KM S OF HILTON HEAD SOUTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 90 MI...145 KM SSW OF CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...105 MPH...165 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 10 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...954 MB...28.17 INCHES

17 minutes ago, Bsudweather said:

15 minutes ago, Fast11 said:

If Charleston has set a tidal record does anyone have an idea of what the tide may be in the area of Tybee or Hilton Head Islands? I have been looking by have not seen any reports. As I typed this I saw the post by Rjay thanks. I would suspect that that high of observed water is not going to be good at all for the islands. 

Fort Pulaski and Charleston are the two nearest water level stations

3 hours ago, Chinook said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1893_Sea_Islands_hurricane

As far as I know (and correct me if I am wrong) there have been no hurricane landfalls directly on Georgia since 1893- since it is in an inward bend in the coast, and it has relatively few miles of coastline

Last major hurricane was 1898 in GA. Last direct landfall was Hurricane David in 1979, landfall in Savannah, GA.

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived