Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

11 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Rainfall rates of 0.5-1.0"/hr are occurring the NW flank in the Savanna Area.

Rivers and streams are going to fill up quick.  I watched it in W MA with Irene.  Heavy bands of rain that didn't seem that epic at the time but turned out to be catastrophic for many, especially in S VT. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sctvman said:

And the October flooding last year was not from a tropical system. You didn't have surge like we are having tonight.

from Charleston's latest forecast discussion (6:59 pm)......

Matthew approaches the area from the south later today and tonight.
There will be at least moderate coastal flooding with the midday
high tide, but it`s the high tide around 12-2 am tonight that`s
the most concerning when significant coastal flooding will likely
occur. Tide levels are forecast to approach or even surpass those
during October of 2015, meaning levels could exceed 8.0 ft MLLW at
Charleston and more than 11.0 ft MLLW at Ft. Pulaski. This would
be the second highest crest on record for Ft. Pulaski, exceeded
only by Hurricane David which produced a 12.21 foot crest in 1979.
It would also be in the top 5 or 10 crests on record for
Charleston. These levels will be accompanied by moderate or heavy
rains, creating an extremely dangerous situation for coastal areas
and in downtown Charleston.

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Charleston SC

920 PM EDT Fri Oct 7 2016

...Matthew's eye is forecast to come uncomfortably close to the Charleston Metro area with the potential for the western eye wall to brush areas such as Kiawah Island, Folly Beach, Downtown Charleston, Mount Pleasant, Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island with gusts in excess of 100 mph.

The worst conditions will occur overnight into Saturday. Solid tropical storm conditions are expected with hurricane conditions, particularly in frequent gusts, expected along the Georgia and far Southern South Carolina coasts. For Edisto Beach up across Charleston County, the risk for sustained hurricane force winds is still increasing, especially along/east of Highway 17, including Downtown Charleston. Frequent gusts to hurricane force could occur as far inland as Summerville.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO STRESS...any slight deviation to the right or left of this track could significantly alter what level of impacts are realized.

Okay, I was at Hilton Head during TS Andrea. I just looked at the track again and I'm afraid south Hilton Head is going to get crushed with surge tonight. This will not be good down there unless this turns east very quickly.

The waves were breaking on the dunes during high tide with Andrea. The track was very similar and we had at least a 4 foot surge with a tropical storm. I remember thinking that we only needed another couple of 3 feet or we'd have had a lot of flooding.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Comical how many people lost interest in this thread because Matthew wasn't "epic" enough for them.  

There is some serious weather going on right now on the SE coast and well inland.  I can't stop refreshing the radar.  

It might not have been the absolute worst case scenario for the FL coast in the end but it was still a pretty darn lousy one. I personally think given the track that Matthew ended up taking (and is still taking staying just offshore with the eyewall for now) that the restructuring and subsequent spreading out of the wind field made for a higher impact on the Fl coast than if it would've been the more compact structure with the very high winds. We're really not going to see much of what happened in the northern half of the Florida coast where the center passed the closest until probably tomorrow and Sunday when the storm is all the way out of there... then we'll see how much of a "bust" it was. 

That's just Florida, obviously it is currently lashing SE GA into SC and I'm more than mildly concerned about the potential impacts from flooding and storm surge in those very vulnerable areas like Savannah and Charleston, where near term guidance is pretty insistent on at least scraping the SC coast with the center. Radar trends had shown a bit of a turn but the motion still looks mainly northerly. This thing might finally be heading toward an official CONUS landfall.  Matthew is also dumping tremendous rainfall inland in GA/SC and getting into NC and inland flooding is likely to become a big issue. The OBX and even the Chesapeake region of SE VA have quietly been getting back into the fold of possibly seeing more significant impacts in the form of the heavy rain and stronger easterly winds that might make for coastal flooding issues all the way up there. 

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived