• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

Worried about Amelia Island / Fernandina Beach(my friend lives there and he evacuated thankfully).  Serious surge and flash flooding happening at the moment. 6.5foot storm surge.  

"From NOAA: "Major Flooding is occurring around Amelia Island with the storm tide at Fernandina Beach exceeding Dora in 1964"

IMG_4031.JPG

From twitter:

IMG_4029.JPG

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

Are you in Avondale? Park Street area? If so, how's the river near you?

In Avondale right off Park.  Have not been down to the river since this morning.  Reporter downtown just showed the water coming over some railings.  You could tell this morning it was all piling up being pushed down from Mayport, problem is th St John's runs north.  So there's nowhere for it to go.  Video of St Mary's Ga looks bad with the storm surge there as well.

1 minute ago, Dino said:

Worried about Amelia Island / Fernandina Beach(my friend lives there and he evacuated thankfully).  Serious surge and flash flooding happening at the moment. 6.5foot storm surge.  

"From NOAA: "Major Flooding is occurring around Amelia Island with the storm tide at Fernandina Beach exceeding Dora in 1964"

IMG_4031.JPG

IMG_4029.JPG

Eye is pushing water straight into Amelia.  I have friends there too and in St. Simon's which is also going to be severely flooded.  Georgia coast is one of the areas most prone to storm surge in the U.S.  The coast is nearly all brackish marshes and low barrier islands.  WJXT just reported flooding of homes in South Jax Beach.  Also one hotel has been flooded by storm surge. 

14 minutes ago, sctvman said:

From J_Nubz: "The (Jacksonville Beach) pier is being ripped away as we speak. The end of it is gone." - WJXT

I've been watching a JAX TV today.  That pier was rebuilt in 1999. The waves are absolutely pounding it but it has concrete pilings and they will be able to replace any boards that get washed away.  It is not being ripped apart.

Hope you are not in James Island, SC.  You need to go inland if you are.  Good luck in SC tonight.

Just now, Jaguars said:

In Avondale right off Park.  Have not been down to the river since this morning.  Reporter downtown just showed the water coming over some railings.  You could tell this morning it was all piling up being pushed down from Mayport, problem is th St John's runs north.  So there's nowhere for it to go.  Video of St Mary's Ga looks bad with the storm surge there as well.

Take care. I'm wondering how San Marco is doing. Can't find anything on WJXT - but that place does flood. I'm sorta glad I moved inland to G'ville (except in the summer when there is no sea breeze!).

6 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Whoever shot this video, and whoever was in this room with them is stupid. 

Yep. The experts can post all the warnings they want, but when you have idiots like this what can you do.

They are a broken pane of glass away from having their lives being highly at risk.

1 hour ago, KPITSnow said:

This certainly doesn't look like a bust. Lots of coastal flooding ongoing. Would have been worse 50 miles west, but there is going to be a lot of damage all the way up the coast into the outer banks.

Much much worse. This flooding is occurring with a northerly wind and the main thrust of the surge being pushed parallel to or away from shore. If the eye was on land and the eastern eyewall was pushing in the water, it would've been absolutely devastating. Jacksonville's really lucky it's not in a position to often get hurricanes making landfall just south of them. 

8 minutes ago, SP said:

I thought the eye on the radar loop was looking better organized. Wrapped around and tighter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i agree.  not sure if it is merely the evolution of the storm or interaction with land, but almost seems like that endless ERC could be completing, with some storms firing around a smaller diameter eye on radar and a little pinhole trying to poke through on IR.  the structure may improve some but i\m not sure there's much to feed off for strengthening.  i think it looks likely to hold a good bit of its current strength all the way to an eventual (possible) landfall around Charleston.

we shouldn't be talking about how we dodged a bullet quite yet.  to be sure, much of florida did, but it may just be borrowing from peter to pay paul.  the storm staying offshore has allowed it to maintain impressive strength while expanding its windfield and piling up water...and will now be approaching an area at a more damaging angle for surge and may even make landfall.  this reminds me of Sandy in terms of the intensity it should be near during landfall, piling up water for days ahead of itself in the open water, formerly much stronger but maintaining very high total energy, and now approaching a low lying area at a dangerous angle.  in the end, those affected could be different but i wouldn't be surprised if this wound up pretty bad like we were initially expecting.  at least in dollar terms.

Agreed on potential surge if this does happen to not hook right sharply enough and makes a full landfall. The fetch it has gathered up the shallow shelf since paralleling the Florida coastline has continued for hundreds of miles. If it does make landfall near Charleston, I would be very worried about low- lying communities like Folly Beach. I hope they heeded warnings and got out.

IMO, 

The story of this storm is going to be the catastrophic flooding in Charleston, SC. It looks like they are going to exceed 10 to 15 inches of unrelenting rain while the surge pushes in. If anyone doesn't know, downtown Charleston experiences bad flooding with a decent summer thunderstorm hits at high tide. This is going to be much, much worse.

45 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

IMO, 

The story of this storm is going to be the catastrophic flooding in Charleston, SC. It looks like they are going to exceed 10 to 15 inches of unrelenting rain while the surge pushes in. If anyone doesn't know, downtown Charleston experiences bad flooding with a decent summer thunderstorm hits at high tide. This is going to be much, much worse.

Agree.  

Florida "being spared" is going to be an afterthought when all is said and done. 

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived