Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Morris said:

Officials: At least 108 people dead in Haiti from Hurricane Matthew, number expected to rise

Yeah, tbh I haven't really been following updates at this point... due the the facts many areas likely aren't accessible or they simply don't have the personnel to put in there... will probably be sometime still before we really have a full understanding of what has occurred there.

The core of Matthew looked a bit lopsided (weak on the NW side) but has recently begun to fill in and expand. It still needs to expand on the northern end a bit, but it's looking more symmetrical, IMO. I wouldn't bet against some additional strengthening taking place as it moves away from the islands, especially if the eye clears out.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

They are closing Walt Disney World as of 5PM today. Hope to reopen Saturday. This is only the fourth time it has happened in history. My guess is the last time was for Charley.

I think I heard 1989 and some time in the late 70s were the othet two and I don't think either was because of a hurricane because I don't recall major hurricanes hitting that area in either of those periods 

12z HWRF never really brings the center onshore until near Jacksonville but the Western eyewall tracks along the coast from PBI North. Then the HWRF takes Matthew up the GA coast and is over Charleston by Saturday afternoon. Savannah makes it into the Western eyewall and the center likely goes right over Hilton head.  

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

12z HWRF never really brings the center onshore until near Jacksonville but the Western eyewall tracks along the coast from PBI North. The the HWRF takes Matthew up the GA coast and is over Charleston by Saturday afternoon. Savannah makes it into the Western eyewall and the center likely goes right over Hilton head.  

How strong does it look over Hilton Head?

9 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think I heard 1989 and some time in the late 70s were the othet two and I don't think either was because of a hurricane because I don't recall major hurricanes hitting that area in either of those periods 

Floyd and Charlie 

1 minute ago, allgame830 said:

Isn't that WAYY NW compared to all of the other models?? 

It's only slightly NW of the 00z ECMWF and identical to the 12z GFS position.

The difference is that the HWRF brings the center further NW towards Charleston while the GFS and Euro have already started moving East away from land.

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived